Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chickens - Importing Fertile Eggs from UK

• 30-01-2016 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a small incubator and I'm keen to try hatching out some interesting pure breed chucks from fertile eggs ordered from the UK.

Has anyone here done it? Success rates after posting? Any recommended sellers?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

I've done a bit more reading about this and it would appear to be an awful lot of hassle?
    IMPORT OF POULTRY AND HATCHING EGGS

Imports of poultry and hatching eggs from EU Member States are permitted under EU trade rules. An import licence issued by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food must accompany the poultry/ eggs along with an appropriate health certificate which complies with one of the model health certificates in Council Directive 2009/158/EEC and which is endorsed by an Official Veterinarian, duly authorised by the Competent Authority in the Member State of export.

Imports of poultry and hatching eggs from non-EU Member States is only permitted from those regions/countries listed in Commission Regulation 798/2008 as amended by Commission Regulation 215/2010. The poultry/eggs must be accompanied by an import licence issued by the Department and the appropriate health certificate, which complies with one of the model health certificates in Commission Regulation 215/2010. Upon first entry to the EU the poultry/eggs must be checked at an EU Border Inspection Post approved for the inspection of live animals (See BIPS below). A number of post-import conditions will apply.
    IMPORT OF HOBBY BIRDS (birds other than poultry and pet birds)

From the Department of Agriculture, Animal Health and Welfare - Part 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Coles wrote: »
    I've done a bit more reading about this and it would appear to be an awful lot of hassle?

From the Department of Agriculture, Animal Health and Welfare - Part 2

never imported eggs but all that is is filling in a form to register and notify department at least 24hrs in advance, you would probably be charged an extra 50e for the health cert

Advertisement