Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a dog on done deal

• 30-01-2016 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a Maltichon puppy (3 months old) on done deal. I asked the seller if the pup had his jabs and he said that he got a 2 in 1 injection from a horse vet and he administered the jab himself.

My question is do you think that this is ok? If I was to buy the dog should I get him injected again by a trusted vet or is this safe to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

Trojan00 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm thinking of buying a Maltichon puppy (3 months old) on done deal. I asked the seller if the pup had his jabs and he said that he got a 2 in 1 injection from a horse vet and he administered the jab himself.

My question is do you think that this is ok? If I was to buy the dog should I get him injected again by a trusted vet or is this safe to do?

The dog should come with a vaccination booklet and it will have a sticker detailing the shot they received, date received and the batch number. Also the vet should have signed this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

The dog should come with a vaccination booklet and it will have a sticker detailing the shot they received, date received and the batch number. Also the vet should have signed this.

I asked him about the book. He said the vet didn't administer the shot but he gave it to the owner and he did it. He said he still has the bottle with details of what was given. The vet is a horse vet. I know this seems strange but do you think I should keep looking for another puppy or is this ok? Is it safe for another vet to give another shot just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Man11

Hi

There is a lot of cons , make sure you see the mother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Iirc it is against veterinary council rules for a vet to supply a vaccine for a customer to administer themselves. The vaccines are useless if not done correctly and they have to be stored at a certain temperature. This is also only half of the initial course. Puppies require a second shot 2 - 4 weeks after the first at 8 weeks and a vet will insist on doing the first again and rightly so as you won't have a record of the first.

Also it is a 7 in 1 vaccine that is needed, I don't know what a 2 in 1 is. This person sounds very dodgy and I would advise you to avoid them. I'm sure there are no shortage of fluffy little cross breeds in rescues, would you not consider that as an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I asked him about the book. He said the vet didn't administer the shot but he gave it to the owner and he did it. He said he still has the bottle with details of what was given. The vet is a horse vet. I know this seems strange but do you think I should keep looking for another puppy or is this ok? Is it safe for another vet to give another shot just in case?

He could be sound however would you not try <snip> or some such charity. At least you know the dogs are chipped, vaccinated etc .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Man11

Iirc it is against veterinary council rules for a vet to supply a vaccine for a customer to administer themselves. The vaccines are useless if not done correctly and they have to be stored at a certain temperature. This is also only half of the initial course. Puppies require a second shot 2 - 4 weeks after the first at 8 weeks and a vet will insist on doing the first again and rightly so as you won't have a record of the first.

Also it is a 7 in 1 vaccine that is needed, I don't know what a 2 in 1 is. This person sounds very dodgy and I would advise you to avoid them. I'm sure there are no shortage of fluffy little cross breeds in rescues, would you not consider that as an option?

Some chemists' give them out . For vacines well its a few years but i use to do it myself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hi

Run a mile; they are clearly cutting corners and I'd not trust anything has been done. Put it this way; if he's so willing to cut corners on something as basic as vaccine how much time and effort do you think he's spent in socializing the dog, making sure the mother and father did not have heritable diseases or genetic combinations which will give the puppy problem down the line? Do it properly or don't do it all; anything else is more than likely to end up with huge vet bills and issues down the line for you. Oh and don't go there "to check things out" etc. because if you do you will take it back because it's cute and rationalize it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

Iirc it is against veterinary council rules for a vet to supply a vaccine for a customer to administer themselves.
    My vet has been selling me vaccines for years to administer myself. One of my dogs before would get particularly stressed at the vets. I was shown by the vet how to administer it, and have been vaccinating my lot at home for years. I saved a lot of stress for the dogs. I had no idea he wasn't supposed to be doing it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Vets can allow owners to administer sub-cutaneous meds, as long as they've satisfied that they've shown the owner how to do so competently... It's absolutely routine in farming.
    However, in the case of puppy vaccines, it's not just a matter of jabbing the pups... It is really important that the pup is deemed by a vet, fit and healthy enough to be vaccinated. A vet will make sure the pup isn't already carrying an infection before they're vaccinated... If a vaccine goes in to a pup who is harbouring one of the infections covered by the vaccine, you could very quickly end up with a seriously ill pup.
    Op, when you're buying a designer crossbreed, you need to tread particularly carefully because you're dealing with breeders who are, by definition, breeding for profit. The rules pertaining to choosing a puppy apply particularly strongly to designer crossbreeds as a result... See pup with mother, and you should be able to meet and greet the mother and the other siblings, on the breeder's premises.
    The pups should be raised in the house, or at least spend a number of hours inside the house every day, not in a shed.
    They should be getting regular exposure to children, men, and strangers, as well as experience of car journeys, vacuum cleaners, grooming, washing machines, loud noises, cats... Failure to expose pups to many different experiences whilst the pup is with the breeder is very likely to cause you (not the breeder!) behavioural problems for the rest of the dog's life.
    And they should have a transparent and doubt-free vaccination record, having been properly assessed by a vet.
    Remember too that it is now illegal to own a puppy that has not been microchipped.
    If any one of the above is missing from the situation, walk away, and find a breeder who makes sure they're doing things properly.
    Make haste now, repent at leisure.

Thanks everyone. I thought that it was a bit dodgy to be honest but I just wanted to check.

We were looking for something like a Maltichon or Maltipoo. They don't seem to have many of those kind of dogs in the <snip>. All they seem to have are large dogs or jack russells.

Anyway thanks again, we will keep looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

You do realise that Maltipoos and Maltichons are nothing but mongrels, which puppy farmers breed for profit. Go to a rescue or pound and try to find a dog suitable for you. I actually had to google as I didn't know what they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

You do realise that Maltipoos and Maltichons are nothing but mongrels, which puppy farmers breed for profit. Go to a rescue or pound and try to find a dog suitable for you. I actually had to google as I didn't know what they were.

I had to google them as well!! :)

They seem to be non shedding dogs,if that's what you are looking for,try a bichon fries, they are also non shed & they are appearing in rescues from time to time.You could always contact rescues in your area & tell them what you are looking for & they will be able to advise you.

I would AVOID Done Deal like the plague, a lot of the sellers on it,are in it for the money with little or no thought for the animals welfare...This is what helps us to give us the great title as the puppy farm of Europe :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Look for a good breeder, any savings made on Donedeal will be eroded by rapidly by vets fees. €100 a visit is not abnormal.

Pups need regular shots, microchipping, and they will get sick occassionally. Older dogs will wear out the vets doormat with their backs and their bowel problems.

Count on spending 5 to 15 thousand on a dog through its lifetime and it will be the best investment you ever make. Skimp it and you will have a sick miserable dog.

That's not to say that you won't be lucky, many have been. Many people get dogs locally or from family, they are not pedigree in the Kennel Club sense but their heritage is well known and they are known to be good healthy dogs. Rescue dogs are pot luck as they could be puppy farmed but they might work out and you are doing a good thing adopting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

OP there have been two recent cases where rescues, one in the South East, have taken in puppies of small dog breeds that where removed, seized or dumped by puppy farmers. The breeds included Shih Tzus, pomerians and some 'designer dogs' .

Also if you google you can find that there are specific dog breed rescues that would have the type of dog you are looking.

All that said I understand that you might want to buy a pup please get it from a reputable breeder rather than some rogue operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Inexile wrote: »
    All that said I understand that you might want to buy a pup please get it from a reputable breeder rather than some rogue operator.

Therein lies the problem though, with the types of designer crossbreeds the OP wants, there actually isn't any reputable breeders. No reputable breeder would breed them.

The best the OP can hope for is to avoid puppy farms, and buy from a family who decided to cross the family pet to make some cash on their pups. In this case, you can't really hope for health tests etc to be carried out, and the bare minimum will be done (if even) regarding vaccinations/chipping, and they won't want to spend unnecessary money on the pups. But at least there's a reasonable chance the pups have been exposed to noises/kids/household experiences.

Still nowhere near ideal, but the best you can hope for with these non-breeds (aside from rescue).

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

There's a website which has ads for rehoming dogs/cats/small furries from various rescues and pounds across Ireland adoptapet.ie. it might be worth a look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Please also note op, poodle crosses aren't by any means guaranteed to be non shed. The "non-shed" crosses that you hear about are usually second or third generation crosses where only the non shedding pups have been kept for breeding.

You won't know what type of coat a pup will have for several months if you pick up a first generation cross.

Take that from the owner of a very hairy, heavy shedding labradoodle.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Raised Eyebrow

There were 18 pups seized at Dublin Port 2 weeks ago and are being cared for by an animal rescue. They look like the type of pup you are looking for. Google under news and you could check out if they are available for rehoming

There were 18 pups seized at Dublin Port 2 weeks ago and are being cared for by an animal rescue. They look like the type of pup you are looking for. Google under news and you could check out if they are available for rehoming
    Thanks for letting me know. I was sent an article about over 100 puppies seized recently. <snip> are looking to foster them. I will look into rehoming as to he honest the more I look at Donedeal the more I think that these breeders are chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Thanks for letting me know. I was sent an article about over 100 puppies seized recently. <snip> are looking to foster them. I will look into rehoming as to he honest the more I look at Donedeal the more I think that these breeders are chancers.

Most breeders on done deal are scum, they have no care for the animals they are producing and are only after money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement