Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So you think that although there will still be a UK of some sort in the event of a brexit, the ordinary person is unlikely to be able to buy anything and will not be able to find a job and mass starvation?

There's no need to strawman the argument. The point is that average Joe is likely to see his purchasing power decrease and his job may be in danger. The welfare state and the public sector are funded from taxation. Any damage to the economy will have ramifications stretching far beyond GDP calculations.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

So? That's your answer?

"I don't object to you making that argument sir, but some people who are racists are also making that argument"

*eyes glaze over, votes Leave*

There are perfectly decent Brits who feel strongly about these issues of sovereignty, social values and migration, and are voting accordingly.

Honestly i think this is more the 'tory civil war' issue then anything because there are responses to this that one can give. But those are answers that the current government dont want to say publicly because even though its the answer on the issue it will lose them a lot of their base.

Its probably why they've been hammering at Labour to get involved because they want Labour to take on those issues. But Labour have been too slow and now the talking points that the tory's are comfortable with have become *fear mongering*

in short

Sovereignty - The notion of an EU attack on British Sovereignty is overblown, the powers of the commission have been greatly exagerated by the current and previous governments and the actual power national governments have to protect their national interests are in no danger from the EU.

For example the Commission may be the legislative of the EU but its power to legislate is actually limited, it requires that what it is legislating about is covered in the European Treaties (which is very limited to certain aspects of trade and the make up of the EU itself) to legislate in other areas outside of the treaties it actually needs full consensus from the European Council to do so. That means for the Commission to make laws about for example the recent Asylum laws, The UK along with every other EU state had to give them permission to and it has to be by CONSENSUS. So no being outvoted.

And the european council is the elected leaders of each member state.

Social values: Not sure which one this is? please elaborate

Migration: This is a fun one because the government have been trying to say it without saying it. You may have seen many of them repeat the *Brexit is not a silver bullet for migration issues* but wont go into it any further.

Well because at most if the UK was trying to preserve its current economic status there would be a decrease of overall immigration by about 20% from Brexit.

Thats being very positive. 20% less migration into the UK. If the UK was to use the same Australian point system on EU migration as it does on non-EU migration.

You can reach this by using the the recently released figures

48% of all EU migrants arrive here already hired by a firm in the UK

it's 60% of non-EU migrants and thats because the point system the UK uses favours hiring skilled workers or workers whom businesses in the UK have pushed they need from outside the UK (i.e the ones with lawyers who know how to traverse the paperwork right).

So even outside of the EU you can imagine that 48% is mostly going to stick pretty much the same. This number is made up of skilled workers hired for specfic duties and of members of a company moving from one branch to another (for example Lego in denmark actually has a lot of danish execs come over the UK to head production of Lego products here in the UK like their animated series and theme park etc expand to include banks, multinationals etc etc and you can easily see where that 48% comes from)

None of that will go away with Brexit. Its good for the economy, the british government will bend over backwards handing out points to keep that going so companies like Lego etc wont move over to ireland or another country. it might shift as those companies might hire from other countries outside the EU if they can cheaper skilled workers to fill some jobs (swap French animators for cheaper Korean animators for example)

And then you got I think it was 16% of all EU immigration is students. That will drop a small bit as some students who could afford british tuition but relied on working while studying to keep going might drop out but the prestigious OXBRIDGE will still attract a solid 10% of EU immigration on top of the 28% non-EU student immigration.

That leaves 35% that come over for *other* and looking for work. A few might still come through because they have legitimate skills, but thats where the majority of migration will be stopped by a points system.

Except you got to adjust for the Irish who will still be allowed in.

So add it up and you are are looking at 60-65% of EU migration still coming in after Brexit

which is 40% of eu migration cut and since EU migration is almost (but actually slightly less) half of total migration that would put the total cut in migration to 20%

20% of 350 000 (est) is 70,000 so immigration post brexit will still be 280,000. Well above the promises tens of thousands.

And thats with a healthy UK economy continuing at the same standard as it is right now.

If post brexit the UK economy takes a hit it might rise up a bit.

But with no fear mongering on losing jobs, just focused on the numbers from 2015 thats how much migration Brexit will cut.

But the tories will never want to say that.

Because

A) they'll be admitting they want high migration, even though thats obvious from the high non-eu migration numbers

B) it'll completely sink Camerons cut migration to the tens of thousands promise to ribbons

C) It'll make the tory friends who run those big businesses and multinationals out to be the bad guys which they dont want.

Hence they simply say...Brexit is not a silver bullet for migration. And they beg and beg and beg for labour to come in and take the brunt of that argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

There's no need to strawman the argument. The point is that average Joe is likely to see his purchasing power decrease and his job may be in danger. The welfare state and the public sector are funded from taxation. Any damage to the economy will have ramifications stretching far beyond GDP calculations.
    Except that that was not what was being claimed.

"but if joe soap suddely can't afford to buy anything and/or can't find a job"

I think you will agree that there's a difference between the average joe seeing a reduction in purchasing power and "suddely can't afford to buy anything".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Except that that was not what was being claimed.

"but if joe soap suddely can't afford to buy anything and/or can't find a job"

I think you will agree that there's a difference between the average joe seeing a reduction in purchasing power and "suddely can't afford to buy anything".

Oh ffs, do you strawman much? If that's the best that you can do, your argument is utterly bereft of merit.

Slight overexaggeration on my part, but the point stands; the reality is that there will be a notable hit to the British economy. Anybody who tries to spin it otherwise is - to be frank - an absolute liar. Or an idiot. Take your pick.

Further; you'll find that there are much wider gaps in earning power between social groups in the UK than might be seen in Ireland, so any contraction in the economy will be more keenly felt.

Lemming wrote: »
    Oh ffs, do you strawman much? If that's the best that you can do, your argument is utterly bereft of merit.

Slight overexaggeration on my part, but the point stands; the reality is that there will be a notable hit to the British economy. Anybody who tries to spin it otherwise is - to be frank - an absolute liar. Or an idiot. Take your pick.
    Well you''ve already spun it otherwise earlier in this thread so now you get to decide whether you are liar or an idiot.

But I'm willing to be charitable and let you away with your current position that there will be some economic cost to brexit. But even if this is the case, do you still maintain that absolutely nothing is achieved if there is a gain in sovereignty, albeit with some economic cost? Surely that depends on the value one places on sovereignty over economics. Everyone is going to be different on this.

• Advertisement

But I'm willing to be charitable and let you away with your current position that there will be some economic cost to brexit. But even if this is the case, do you still maintain that absolutely nothing is achieved if there is a gain in sovereignty, albeit with some economic cost? Surely that depends on the value one places on sovereignty over economics. Everyone is going to be different on this.

Personally I'd argue gaining sovereignty is only really worth it if there is a will behind it and in times of peace that will is a political one. My issue with Brexit is the same issue I had with the Irish European referendums in some ways, I dont think that will is genuinely there as these are the sort of issues that are not resolved with a referendum but instead with an election.

When the Lisbon referendum in particular failed the first time, my biggest issue with the response was the groups that pushed for the no vote all but dissolved from any sort of agency and in fact when there was a european election between the two referendums what was considered one of the biggest factors in the first lisbon victory, the Declan Ganley led Libertas movement got destroyed in the elections as did any other group involved with the no vote except for Sinn Fein. There was no will to build on that referendum result which essentially allowed the government use that lack of momentum to put it to a second referendum.

And that's kind of the issue with Brexit. If Leave wins, will UKIP remain as poltical force in Uk politics? Will they rise in national politics? Will the conservatives who have sided with leave take over the party and will we see the party take in line their policies more?

We are not getting those answers, and in fact there has been in some interviews some blatant question dodging on this issue where they've thrown it back on the government to resolve (especially around immigration) and claimed its not their place to make such calls.

But the government has no will for those policies so best case scenario you'll get from them is damage control, keep the status quo by ducktaping with national laws replicating a lot of what we already have. It'll be reclaimed sovereignty that will be used in the same way as it was when it was not claimed.

It's partly why when people point to Norway or Switzerland I somewhat laugh because to the governemmt they are taking back soveriegnty because you told them they had to and then they are repackaging it and giving it away in another form because its what they feel is best for the country and that is strangely what a lot of people want and expect.

Thats why these sort of things are not good for referendum. I would have rather brexit came about from UKIP winning the national elections over being 1 of a group pushing a government that doesnt want to leave over the edge and letting them take the fall.

Because then I'd know at least the will is there and whatever monstrosity waits on the other side its one the UK politically, socially and by majority are willing to step into it.

Course if UKIP won the national elections I'd also be looking to move back to Ireland most likely, but thats me personally.

A lot of people attacking the remain campaign for fear mongering, but lets remember with this debate that its not one sided fear mongering.

13323590_797445600357451_5964041239134243962_o.jpg

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Personally I'd argue gaining sovereignty is only really worth it if there is a will behind it and in times of peace that will is a political one. My issue with Brexit is the same issue I had with the Irish European referendums in some ways, I dont think that will is genuinely there as these are the sort of issues that are not resolved with a referendum but instead with an election.

When the Lisbon referendum in particular failed the first time, my biggest issue with the response was the groups that pushed for the no vote all but dissolved from any sort of agency and in fact when there was a european election between the two referendums what was considered one of the biggest factors in the first lisbon victory, the Declan Ganley led Libertas movement got destroyed in the elections as did any other group involved with the no vote except for Sinn Fein. There was no will to build on that referendum result which essentially allowed the government use that lack of momentum to put it to a second referendum.

And that's kind of the issue with Brexit. If Leave wins, will UKIP remain as poltical force in Uk politics? Will they rise in national politics? Will the conservatives who have sided with leave take over the party and will we see the party take in line their policies more?

I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with either side. Like I said, in my view it comes down to the relative weighting you give to economics and national sovereignty. There's also the issue of how much sovereignty you would gain and how what the economic cost might be and these are legitimate concerns.

But let us say for the sake of argument that you were leaning towards the Leave side because you put a high value on national sovereignty. Why would you care that campaign groupings set up to achieve a particular aim continue once that aim is achieved? You might be perfectly happy, once the aim is achieved, that Labour and the Tories continue much as they have always done but now with greater legislative power when they are in office.
    [/QUOTE]

I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with either side. Like I said, in my view it comes down to the relative weighting you give to economics and national sovereignty. There's also the issue of how much sovereignty you would gain and how what the economic cost might be and these are legitimate concerns.

But let us say for the sake of argument that you were leaning towards the Leave side because you put a high value on national sovereignty. Why would you care that campaign groupings set up to achieve a particular aim continue once that aim is achieved? You might be perfectly happy, once the aim is achieved, that Labour and the Tories continue much as they have always done but now with greater legislative power when they are in office.
    [/quote]

My point is they wouldn't.

Without the political will the tory or labour government will hand those legislative powers right back in another form.

Be it in a bilateral agreement ala switzerland or joining the EEA like Norway.

There is no point voting for a return of sovereign powers if the political will is to hand them back out.

That's why I stand by this sort of decision should have been the basis for an election and not a referendum because it's not just leaving. It's what the uk does after it leaves.

My point is they wouldn't.

Without the political will the tory or labour government will hand those legislative powers right back in another form.

Be it in a bilateral agreement ala switzerland or joining the EEA like Norway.

There is no point voting for a return of sovereign powers if the political will is to hand them back out.

That's why I stand by this sort of decision should have been the basis for an election and not a referendum because it's not just leaving. It's what the uk does after it leaves.
    Ok I understand your point. A move from the EU to the EEA would not result in total sovereignty but it would probably be a move in the direction of greater sovereignty and the option to leave the EEA would still be in place at a future date. If the UK joined the EEA I don't think they would rejoin the EU. Despite the limitations of the EEA, Norway and Iceland don't seem in any hurry to join the EU.

• Advertisement

Ok I understand your point. A move from the EU to the EEA would not result in total sovereignty but it would probably be a move in the direction of greater sovereignty and the option to leave the EEA would still be in place at a future date.

Actually thats a great question. The Treaty of Lisbon introduced a system to process a country to leave the EU over a 2 year period. But does the EEA and EFTA actually have a process for a country to leave it formally like the EU?

It might actually be harder for the UK to actually remove itself from those then the EU completely if they wanted to in the future.

I think this is a Scofflaw question?

As for sovereignty differences between the EEA/EFTA and the EU, I personally cant agree that its an increase in sovereignty, to me its like some strange side ways crab walk where its given up in new areas and restored in others just to keep the same status quo.
    If the UK joined the EEA I don't think they would rejoin the EU. Despite the limitations of the EEA, Norway and Iceland don't seem in any hurry to join the EU.

Again its the lack of political will on why Norway and Iceland dont seem to be in a hurry (but when it looked briefly that Iceland was going to be left to sink during the economic crisis that will quickly formed briefly and then evaporatec when they did get bailed out.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Actually thats a great question. The Treaty of Lisbon introduced a system to process a country to leave the EU over a 2 year period. But does the EEA and EFTA actually have a process for a country to leave it formally like the EU?

It might actually be harder for the UK to actually remove itself from those then the EU completely if they wanted to in the future.

I think this is a Scofflaw question?

Actually, the difference is only between having a formal arrangement in place for exit negotiations, and not. One can leave the EU without an exit arrangement at any time, and the same for the EEA/EFTA - the EU, since Lisbon, has a transitional period you can avail of during which an exit agreement can be negotiated.

If the UK wanted just wanted to get the heck out of the EU, no exit negotiations, no nothing, it can ignore the 2-year transitional period - after all, unilateral immediate withdrawal from the treaties would include unilateral withdrawal from the transitional period arrangements, because they're part of those treaties.

It's possible that other parties might consider the treaties as still applying for 2 years even so, but the only court they could go to is the ECJ, and the UK wouldn't be bound by the ECJ's decisions.

What interests me more is whether the UK is considered as having withdrawn from the EU as soon as it notifies its intent to do so, or whether withdrawal only formally takes place at the end of the 2-year (plus extensions) transitional period.

If the latter, then the UK could hold another referendum once the withdrawal agreement has been largely finalised, but before the transitional period expires. Such a referendum would make democratic sense, because it would be clear what the alternatives were, which at this stage is not the case - it would be a much more informed decision than the one currently being made.

In the former case, the UK would have to reapply for membership, which would involve adopting the entire aquis communitaire, including the euro.

The EU's most sensible course of action, then, is to interpret the treaties as meaning the latter situation, and negotiate a hard exit agreement.
    As for sovereignty differences between the EEA/EFTA and the EU, I personally cant agree that its an increase in sovereignty, to me its like some strange side ways crab walk where its given up in new areas and restored in others just to keep the same status quo.

For Norway and Iceland, the 'advantage' (in some eyes) is keeping their fisheries out of the single market, but it's hard to see what equivalent there is in the UK. Neither agriculture nor fisheries is a big issue - the big issue is the finance sector, and the UK finance sector, unlike the Swiss one, is aggressively interested in being able to tap the single market at a retail level as well its labour pool, which means even a set of bilaterals like EFTA (something the EU is strongly opposed to these days) is going to wind up covering nearly everything, including free movement.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

My experience of Nice and Lisbon was our government of the time doing a dreadful job of cogently explaining what the referendums were about. They also lacked an air of conviction and enthusiasm in the EU project. In both cases they upped their game in terms of delivering a stronger message for the rerun and victory was the reward.

It is tempting to label people stupid or xenophobic or misinformed etc, etc but it's virtually impossible to just turn on a tap of EU positivity for the people who need to sell the Remain campaign. Especially for Cameron when he was forced to thread a delicate balancing act on the topic for over a half decade before Brexit was scheduled.

A Tyrant named Militades makes an excellent point when he notes that English people are getting a first opportunity to opine on this thing and that first instinct may very well be "no" to the EU concept. And it may very well be an emotional and misinformed No, but it shouldn't be that surprising when the electorate has never been exposed to much true excitement for the European project.

And while I'd vote "yes" to the concept of the EU and "remain" to this referendum specifically, I would not dare pretend that it doesn't have significant structural and technical problems and is a project in need of a thorough philosophical overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

http://m.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/john-downing/non-from-brussels-demands-a-dose-of-reality-on-water-charges-34775005.html

The EU have turned our national government into puppets. Imagine being forced to pass a controversial law because otherwise one far away all powerful body body (the EU commission) will fine us heavily. How is the EU good for Irish democracy? Here's hoping the British people send the EU a message. The countries of Europe need to reclaim our democracy from our unaccountable European overlords.

"The EU will fine us if we don't comply" is now used to shut down all democratic debate. Its scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

http://m.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/john-downing/non-from-brussels-demands-a-dose-of-reality-on-water-charges-34775005.html

The EU have turned our national government into puppets. Imagine being forced to pass a controversial law because otherwise one far away all powerful body body (the EU commission) will fine us heavily. How is the EU good for Irish democracy? Here's hoping the British people send the EU a message. The countries of Europe need to reclaim our democracy from our unaccountable European overlords.

"The EU will fine us if we don't comply" is now used to shut down all democratic debate. Its scary.

why don't you read the article .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Here's the problem. The Remain side are treating 'economy' and 'society' as synonymous. In other words, they're failing to reply to a huge aspect to the Leave narrative.

-"I want society to live in closer accordance with British values"
    -"ZOMG we're all going bankrupt!"

-"I want to see sovereignty taken from Brussels & returned to Parliament"

-"I'm unhappy with the free movement of people"
    It’s funny how all of the above were soundly rejected by the electorate back in 1975, when the economy was utterly ****ed.

Well, with the exception of immigration, I suppose – emigration was more of an issue back then.

There are perfectly decent Brits who feel strongly about these issues of sovereignty, social values and migration, and are voting accordingly.
    Is “feeling strongly” a valid substitute for “thinking rationally”?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

djpbarry wrote: »
    Is “feeling strongly” a valid substitute for “thinking rationally”?

One major weakness of the "Remain" Campaign is that they seek to portray "Leave" campaigners as slightly mad/ irrational old racists. This is backfiring badly, as the latest polls demonstrate. Meanwhile RTE's entirely one-sided reporting of Osborne's latest pontifications on the CTA was enough to get me on my bike with my voting paper this morning.

If the "Remain" campaign want to drag victory from the jaws of defeat, they should stop talking down to us, stop telling us why we shouldn't leave and start telling us why we should stay. If you are seriously trying to bring people around to your point of view, you should get off your high horse and do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

I have some questions about my vote in the EU referendum. I'm studying in Wales at the moment and will be in Cardiff on June 23rd. I'm an Irish citizen, so I know I'm entitled to a vote. But do I have to have lived here for a certain period of time to qualify to register?

Also, if I register to vote in the UK does that disqualify the validity of my vote in Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I have some questions about my vote in the EU referendum. I'm studying in Wales at the moment and will be in Cardiff on June 23rd. I'm an Irish citizen, so I know I'm entitled to a vote. But do I have to have lived here for a certain period of time to qualify to register?

Also, if I register to vote in the UK does that disqualify the validity of my vote in Ireland?

I think you are. Residency is the main criteria. You might need a National Insurance number though. Tomorrow is the deadline. Try and see if it works!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

I think you are. Residency is the main criteria. You might need a National Insurance number though. Tomorrow is the deadline. Try and see if it works!

Yeah, I don't have an NI and it's probably too late to attempt to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You need to be on the Electoral Register to vote

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Yeah, I don't have an NI and it's probably too late to attempt to get one?

I suspect so. I registered last year though. Try anyway. You never know!

You need to be on the Electoral Register to vote

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

I am aware, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Nearly all British people I have ever met absolutely love mainland Europe and certain parts or Ireland (specifically West Cork). When you travel in France, Spain and Portugal you nearly always meet retire British citizens living either partially or permanently abroad and Bordeaux has been taken over by them. From my own experiences British aspire to living in the sun. When a summer holiday in France and the number of yellow regs driving on their motorways is staggering.

Found this interesting article from Independent.co.uk from Nov 2015 [URL="(http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/so-many-brits-now-live-abroad-that-theyre-causing-immigration-debates-oh-the-irony-a6723006.html)"]here[/URL] about the nearly 4million Brits are living abroad and I bet many more aspire to doing the same.

Surely this will have a huge affect on how they vote as voting to leave could really mess with any future retirement and travel plans....and who wants to queue up at the long line going for a summer holiday in Spain?

It's the killer reason for me as to why they will stay.

whatever_ wrote: »
    Meanwhile RTE's entirely one-sided reporting of Osborne's latest pontifications on the CTA was enough to get me on my bike with my voting paper this morning.
    Because you were outraged at the suggestion that the CTA may not exist post-Brexit?
    whatever_ wrote: »
    If the "Remain" campaign want to drag victory from the jaws of defeat, they should stop talking down to us, stop telling us why we shouldn't leave and start telling us why we should stay. If you are seriously trying to bring people around to your point of view, you should get off your high horse and do the same.
    I just did - you obviously missed it.

If we compare the UK's socio-economic status now to what it was in the early 70s when it joined the EU (or the EC, as it was then), it is clear that the relationship has been beneficial.

Now, you could argue that the UK would be just as well off had it not joined the EU or that it will be just as well off if it now leaves, but, based on any form of rational analysis, that is an incredibly difficult argument to make.

Now, how about you tell us why the UK should leave?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Nearly all British people I have ever met absolutely love mainland Europe and certain parts or Ireland (specifically West Cork). When you travel in France, Spain and Portugal you nearly always meet retire British citizens living either partially or permanently abroad and Bordeaux has been taken over by them. From my own experiences British aspire to living in the sun. When a summer holiday in France and the number of yellow regs driving on their motorways is staggering.

Found this interesting article from Independent.co.uk from Nov 2015 [URL="(http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/so-many-brits-now-live-abroad-that-theyre-causing-immigration-debates-oh-the-irony-a6723006.html)"]here[/URL] about the nearly 4million Brits are living abroad and I bet many more aspire to doing the same.

Surely this will have a huge affect on how they vote as voting to leave could really mess with any future retirement and travel plans....and who wants to queue up at the long line going for a summer holiday in Spain?

It's the killer reason for me as to why they will stay.

What will it cost the ex-pats when they have a medical emergency abroad and produce their no longer valid E111 card?

Will they have the right to remain in France or Spain if they vote to leave?

Does anyone know what will happen if they vote to leave the EU?

Well under the EEA/EFTA they would be free of 80% or so of EU Law. Only the single market acquis would remain and much of these rules remaining are similar to those that exist under the WTO anyway.

In the EEA they could agree their own free trade agreements.

They would be exempt from common EU external tariffs. Also exempt from EU VAT Policy, the CAP and CFP, the common defence and foreign policy, justice and home affairs policy, ECJ rulings etc.

They would have reduced payment into the system. Norway pays as much as 17% less per capita to the EU. The UK would pay about 50% less per capita.

As for immigration, they have access to the EEA "Emergency Brake" mechanism not available to EU members.

If there's a vote in favour of brexit I could see the negotiations starting from one of two positions. The safe option would be to start with EEA, which would bring a lot of the benefits of non-EU membership while retaining a lot of advantages, then see what additional exemptions they could manage. Or they could start with full exit operating under WTO rules and see what sort of trade deal they could get.

Well under the EEA/EFTA they would be free of 80% or so of EU Law. Only the single market acquis would remain and much of these rules remaining are similar to those that exist under the WTO anyway.

I think you might have that the wrong way around. The vast majority of EU law is related to the single market.

• Advertisement

I think you might have that the wrong way around. The vast majority of EU law is related to the single market.
    It is easy enough to say that if you limit what you mean by legislation to one type of legal instrument (and I've seen this done a number of times). But note that this is not the EU's definition of legislation.

acts|EU 1.7.2008|EEA 31/12/2010|percentage
    directives|1965|1369|69.7
    Regulations|7720|1349|17.5
    Overall legislative acts|9685|2718|28.1

The source is "Outside and inside: Norway's agreements with the EU"

Note that this omits "Decisions" many of which may not apply to Norway but are still officially classed as legislation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement