Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Thomas_..

smjm wrote: »
    Not the best news for Ireland:

'George Osborne looks at corporation tax cut to attract overseas investors'

In other news, he says their budgets are not going to be as good as before

and says income tax will probably have to go up

Cutting corporate tax while reducing spending and increasing income taxes won't be popular.

There s more to come in the next couple of weeks and interesting in all this Brexit thing is, that the side who won the referendum, has no plan at all on how to work out a plan in the first place and proceed by that.

I was reckoning that the leave side will win, but despite of being prepared for that, it came as a shock to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Not the best news for Ireland:

'George Osborne looks at corporation tax cut to attract overseas investors'

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/03/george-osborne-looks-at-corporation-tax-cut-to-attract-overseas-investors

Sure don't Amazon, Google already pay very little tax in the UK via loop holes etc. Interesting decision from Osborne considering how annoyed people in the UK were about corporations not paying there fair share.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

wes wrote: »
    Sure don't Amazon, Google already pay very little tax in the UK via loop holes etc. Interesting decision from Osborne considering how annoyed people in the UK were about corporations not paying there fair share.

I don't have the legal knowledge to understand the full impact and might be wrong, but I suspect if the UK is to leave the EU it might make it more difficult for those corporations to avoid paying tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Harika

mansize wrote: »

So the last of the Leaver Clowns, stepping away from the responsibility and hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Harika wrote: »
    So the last of the Leaver Clowns, stepping away from the responsibility and hard work.

Of course

When you start throwing stones at a glasshouse and finally break a window

You RUN

As much as I dislike Gove, at least he is trying to follow through and fix the damn mess he made. Farage and Johnson have shown themselves to be pretty poor leaders.

So will Farron be the last leader standing or will their be a coup against him before the next Election?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

In other news, he says their budgets are not going to be as good as before

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/01/george-osborne-scraps-2020-budget-surplus-plan

and says income tax will probably have to go up

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/money/mortgages-bills/george-osborne-warns-of-spending-cuts-and-tax-hikes-after-brexit-11364070571092

Cutting corporate tax while reducing spending and increasing income taxes won't be popular.

Some uk economists are saying that there's a recession imminent at the end of this year in the UK, and they've now decided to cut corporation tax?

Clever boys indeed. This isn't going to go down well with the voters for out!

• Advertisement

As much as I dislike Gove, at least he is trying to follow through and fix the damn mess he made. Farage and Johnson have shown themselves to be pretty poor leaders.

To be fair Farage is in a different position from Johnson though. Johnson could have lead the Brexit negotiation team if he wanted to, whereas Farage was told he couldn't even be part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Harika

Some uk economists are saying that there's a recession imminent at the end of this year in the UK, and they've now decided to cut corporation tax?

Clever boys indeed. This isn't going to go down well with the voters for out!

With a smart leader, labor should steamroll the next election. Recession means a lot of lost jobs, and the workers that will stay in their jobs will have to pay more taxes.
    Also the slashing of corporate taxes shouldn't be seen as threat to Ireland, I think the UK government now knows they lost one of their competitive edges and needs to compensate existing companies, that were against the Brexit, to stay.

Farage to stand down as leader of UKIP

That s good news. After he s done his inciting "bit" that led to abuse on foreigners in the UK shortly after his side has won. I never liked that fella and it was much more disappointing to watch the EU leaders doing nothing to counter his critics which were right when he raised them.

The whole leading figures of the leave campaign are now taking their own "leave" and also "leave" the country in this position they have brought it to by their lies and half-truths.

Farage should also resign from his MEP seat after that. Nobody wants him there and he s already "finished his job". Good riddance to him and hopefully to his UKIP Party as well.

Farage to stand down as leader of UKIP

That is the way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

With Farage gone, UKIP could elect a more moderate leader and become a real competitor in the next UK general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Thomas_.. wrote: »
    That s good news. After he s done his inciting "bit" that led to abuse on foreigners in the UK shortly after his side has won. I never liked that fella and it was much more disappointing to watch the EU leaders doing nothing to counter his critics which were right when he raised them.

The whole leading figures of the leave campaign are now taking their own "leave" and also "leave" the country in this position they have brought it to by their lies and half-truths.

Farage should also resign from his MEP seat after that. Nobody wants him there and he s already "finished his job". Good riddance to him and hopefully to his UKIP Party as well.
    Farage never incited anything. He's a good man who stood up for what he believed. There was no way the Tories were going to let him be a part of the leave negotiations. He stood down because it was the right thing for UKIP and he reached his political goal.

I'm not sure what sort of calamity you people think it waiting for the UK post Brexit. The immediate damage was magnified by Osbourne and Cameron. The UK is now in a very strong position and I truly believe things will be better for them now.

Not surprised at some of the Remain voters reactions. Don't understand how the left are out in force protesting on behalf of big business and the bureaucratic behemoth which is the EU. A big cartel run by lobbyists and anti-democratic greedy fat cats.
    With a smart leader, labor should steamroll the next election. Recession means a lot of lost jobs, and the workers that will stay in their jobs will have to pay more taxes.
    Also the slashing of corporate taxes shouldn't be seen as threat to Ireland, I think the UK government now knows they lost one of their competitive edges and needs to compensate existing companies, that were against the Brexit, to stay.

This smart leader is who exactly? Labour has been infiltrated by jew hating communists. I'm surprised they haven't blamed this on Israel yet.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Farage and Johnson distancing themselves to avoid being accountable for the lies they spread throughout the leave campaign and the damage it may cause. Why am I not surprised?!

With Farage gone, UKIP could elect a more moderate leader and become a real competitor in the next UK general election.

Farage was pretty moderate. The fact they are referred to as far right in some circles is comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This smart leader is who exactly? Labour has been infiltrated by jew hating communists. I'm surprised they haven't blamed this on Israel yet.

Ah here, go easy on the hyperbole. The only 'infiltration' of the Labour party has been by Blairites, eager to stay in the EU because it's good for business (and good for their pockets)
    He has plenty of flaws, but Corbyn has (or at least, got elected on the premise that he has) workers rights and welfare as his no.1 priority. The coup against him in the party by the Blair faction is ridiculous.

And I'm not even a Labour sympathiser

timmyntc wrote: »
    Ah here, go easy on the hyperbole. The only 'infiltration' of the Labour party has been by Blairites, eager to stay in the EU because it's good for business (and good for their pockets)
    He has plenty of flaws, but Corbyn has (or at least, got elected on the premise that he has) workers rights and welfare as his no.1 priority. The coup against him in the party by the Blair faction is ridiculous.

I don't know if infiltrated is the word, but labour (as other European left wing parties) does have an serious issue with an anti-Israel/anti-Jews faction.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    I don't know if infiltrated is the word, but labour (as other European left wing parties) does have an serious issue with an anti-Israel/anti-Jews faction.

Infiltrated is exactly the word. Just look at the surge in people signing up to get their man Jeremy in power. Even he compared Israel to ISIS.

Farage was pretty moderate. The fact they are referred to as far right in some circles is comical.

The inciting and "entitlement" for abuse by some far-right brickheads which the UKIP is accountable for by her propaganda and anti-Immigration rethoric is by no means "comical". Farage was at the front of it, always banging on the migration issue and in particular on those people who came the UK from other (Eastern) EU countries. He couldn t Point to the refugees from the ME because Cameron managed to arrange a deal with the French to Keep the inhabitants of the Jungle Camp at bay. This might change sooner than he and his supporters think and the French have already demanded to suspend the Calais deal in the wake of the Brexit.

Maybe Farage smells it already and uses the opportinity to stand down and giving himself a run, a run away from the problems his "so beloved country" will face in the next months and years to come.

This Brexit Referendum should teach some people a lesson which means to not trust the words of any sort of populist because in the end of the day, it is not them who will have to pay the bill, it will be the People who have to, as usual.

Infiltrated is exactly the word. Just look at the surge in people signing up to get their man Jeremy in power. Even he compared Israel to ISIS.

Infiltrated tends to imply that those ideas are coming from outside the party and being sneaked into it without its members or leaders noticing. I'd see some of them are home-grown and are plaguing part of the left all across the Western world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There is good for business and good for business owners. Good for business is perfectly desirable as it improves living standards and creates jobs. The EU is good for business as you have a large market without customs and paperwork bollix. Allegedly Being in favour of welfare is complete bollix if you are not concerned with the ability of the country to pay welfare.

Even he compared Israel to ISIS.

The only way someone could come to that conclusion is that you either didn't hear what he actually said, have a political motivation to lie, or have comprehension problem. Take your pick.
    “Our Jewish friends are no more responsible for the actions of Israel or the Netanyahu Government than our Muslim friends are for those of various self-styled Islamic states or organisations. Nor should Muslims be regarded as sexist, antisemitic or otherwise suspect, as has become an ugly Islamophobic norm. We judge people on their individual values and actions, not en masse.

He didn't compare them at all, just saying that Jews are not responsible for extremists in there midst, anymore than Muslims are.

There is no comparison made between Israel and ISIS at all. It was completely manufactured.

Farage was pretty moderate.

Recycling Nazi propaganda is not moderate.

The only way someone could come to that conclusion is that you either didn't hear what he actually said, have a political motivation to lie, or have comprehension problem. Take your pick.

He didn't compare them at all, just saying that Jews are not responsible for extremists in there midst, anymore than Muslims are.

There is no comparison made between Israel and ISIS at all. It was completely manufactured.

Israel is an extremist state? I very much disagree with you. Corbyn is openly against Israel. He even campaigned for two terrorists who exploded a bomb outside the Israeli embassy saying their imprisonment was miscarriage of justice. Make no mistake, the text was not a blunder. Corbyn is extreme left.

Israel is an extremist state? I very much disagree with you.

Expanding outside your border due to some stuff in the Bible is very much extreme, not to mention the decades old murderous occupation. Your denial of facts doesn't change reality, but then we know such things don't matter to Brexiters.

Still, that is completely irrelevant, as he Corbyn did not compare Israel to ISIS. That is a lie. A lie you refuse to acknowledge.
    Corbyn is openly against Israel. He even campaigned for two terrorists who exploded a bomb outside the Israeli embassy saying their imprisonment was miscarriage of justice. Make no mistake, the text was not a blunder. Corbyn is extreme left.

He didn't say what you claimed at all. It was a lie, but that seems to be par for course, for Brexit supporters. Lie, lie, and lie some more, and hope no one notices. Well, when you lie again and again, people will stop believing a word you say.

Expanding outside your border due to some stuff in the Bible is very much extreme, not to mention the decades old murderous occupation. Your denial of facts doesn't change reality, but then we know such things don't matter to Brexiters.

He didn't say what you claimed at all. It was a lie, but that seems to be par for course, for Brexit supporters. Lie, lie, and lie some more, and hope no one notices. Well, when you lie again and again, people will stop believing a word you say.

What exactly are they occupying? Their country? It is an area the size of Leinster. Palestine is not a state it is a fictional creation. The real problem is that the Muslims do not want the Jews there that's it.

Would you consider IS to be a self styled Islamic state? He knew exactly how it would be interpreted and worded it such that he could avoid criminal charges.

This is the guy you are defending:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11837454/Jeremy-Corbyn-campaigned-for-release-of-Embassy-bombers.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11829462/Jeremy-Corbyn-must-publicly-reject-Hamas-and-Hezbollah-leading-Jewish-group-demands.html

• Advertisement

What exactly are they occupying? Their country? It is an area the size of Leinster. Palestine is not a state it is a fictional creation. The real problem is that the Muslims do not want the Jews there that's it.

Completely irrelevant nonsense, Corbyn did not say what you claim, and the thread is not about Israel or Palestine ffs.

I do have say however that denying the existence of Palestine, and by extension Palestinians, is just disgusting racism. Amazing coming from someone falsely accusing someone else of racism.
    Would you consider IS to be a self styled Islamic state? He knew exactly how it would be interpreted and worded it such that he could avoid criminal charges.

He didn't say what you claimed. It is a lie, and repeating the same lie over and over again will not make it true. It really pathetic to keep this complete and utter nonsense up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement