Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,977 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

One thing is sure if it is an election, it is going to be divisive and noisy. Only issue will be Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Its a good move by May.  No way will Labour defeat them and she will come back with an even stronger hand to negotiate after being elected and this is what they will campaign on - its done now, let me get the best for the country

• Registered Users Posts: 68,977 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Election it is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

8th June confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Speculation that May is going to call a snap election. Press called to Downing St announcement at 11.15am

BINGO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Labour would be nearly wiped out if the polls were accurate come June 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Her team are supposed to be concentrating on starting negotiations with the EU over the next two months.
    Who are the EU to talk to?
    I suggest some very pissed off EU Leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

ongarite wrote: »
    Labour would be nearly wiped out if the polls were accurate come June 8th.

Yeah, would imagine Jeremy Corbyn is sweating fiercely.

Smart move from May it has to be said.

Sounded a bit like a dictator to me, bad times if you live in the UK.

Has a problem with their being an opposition in Parliament it seems, not very democratic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Going to elected on a flag waving Brexit issues while other policies won't be discussed.

Corbyn in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Wasn't 'not having the distraction/sideshow at this critical juncture of negotiations' one of the reasons she gave for refusing the SNPs call for scindyref#2? Seems inconsistent.

May doesn't seem to have any problem with blatant hypocracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

Writing off Labour would be extremely naive considering the flighty nature of the British electorate. The Labour support base back Corbyn and the shady vote buying jibber jabber that got the brexit vote over the line has been admitted.

I can see labour winning and the UK back in the EU

kilns wrote: »
    Its a good move by May. No way will Labour defeat them and she will come back with an even stronger hand to negotiate after being elected and this is what they will campaign on - its done now, let me get the best for the country

Looks good for a domestic audience only though. In terms of Brexit how will this get the UK a better deal? It won't. It's a helluva long GE campaign in prospect as well, 7+ weeks. The French presidential election will be done by then, and if the pro-EU Macron gets in, followed by no change in Germany in September, we are still looking at the UK facing the same tough Brexit negotiations as now.

So in summary Theresa May
    - Has a problem with the concept of opposition
    - Has a problem with people having different views to her
    - Has a problem with Open Debate
    - Has a problem with an upper house being able to decide how to vote
    - Has a problem with people trying to hold her to account.

Not a very bright future for the UK really is it?

Each time you are ahead in the polls call a general election to get a different make-up if the people don't vote the way you want. The Fixed Terms parliament act should be changed to stop political, dictator like stunts like this.

Tayschren wrote: »
    Writing off Labour would be extremely naive considering the flighty nature of the British electorate. The Labour support base back Corbyn and the shady vote buying jibber jabber that got the brexit vote over the line has been admitted.

The core labour support that is left right now is nowhere near enough to win an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

well then.. expect Brexit to be the main topic of the election.

those pro & those against. My guess is that Labour will take a view of running against Brexit in a bid to win the election. Will be a promise of another referendum on #Brexit2....and talks of keeping the union together (eg no Scots independence vote)

I can see Labour winning on a landslide if they take that view.

Although if the SNP were smart (and I see them as being so) they will probably use their parliament numbers to do a deal for another independence vote.

daheff wrote: »
    those pro & those against. My guess is that Labour will take a view of running against Brexit in a bid to win the election. Will be a promise of another referendum on #Brexit2....and talks of keeping the union together (eg no Scots independence vote)

That would be an idea, but you're giving Corbyn far too much credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Corbyn has no chanced of winning, and if he did, his Brexit policies are unclear at best.

• Advertisement

Not a chance. Corbyn has no interest in going back to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Best thing for Labour would be to vote against a general election, on the basis that the time for an election was before article 50 was invoked.

As it is, they will be crushed. Corbyn is just crazy enough to go along with this. At the very least, a crushing defeat, will likely get rid of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Corbyn handheld may up to triggering a50, there's no way fighting brexit will be an issue for him.

Tories will mop up ukip and lib dems may mop up antibrexit labour votes.

If labour MPs can't heave corbyn then labour voters will.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

wes wrote: »
    Best thing for Labour would be to vote against a general election, on the basis that the time for an election was before article 50 was invoked.

As it is, they will be crushed. Corbyn is just crazy enough to go along with this. At the very least, a crushing defeat, will likely get rid of him.

Looks like Lib Dems and Labour will vote for GE. Makes you think of Turkey voting for Ergodan Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Looks like Lib Dems and Labour will vote for GE. Makes you think of Turkey voting for Ergodan Christmas.

You can't spend 18 months saying the government is wrong on multiple issues, and then vote against the possibility of an election. They really have to vote for it even if they don't like the timing.

Lib Dems should do well. They will, basically have half the electorate for themselves.
    If you lived in any of those areas that voted remain, LD would be your first preference.

Water John wrote: »
    Lib Dems should do well. They will, basically have half the electorate for themselves.
    If you lived in any of those areas that voted remain, LD would be your first preference.

I would vote Lib Dem, traditionally I would be a Labour voter but cannot vote for the extreme left of Corbyn.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Calling a GE by May (it is actually in June :)) now makes no sense except as either a seat grab or the possible realisation of the impending disaster that Brexit is. It would have made more sense to have called it before she invoked Art 50.

Having started the exit procedure by invoking Article 50, could a new Gov cancel it and choose to remain within the EU as no negotiations have started yet.

Calling a GE by May (it is actually in June :)) now makes no sense except as either a seat grab or the possible realisation of the impending disaster that Brexit is. It would have made more sense to have called it before she invoked Art 50..

Made more sense for the country but not for Theresa May.

All she cares about having most power possible, she also seems to have a problem with the whole idea of having an opposition and would probably quite like to remove the right for people to think different from her.

UK heads more and more towards a dictator like state, but it's not Theresa May's fault alone, also that of Jeremy Corbyn who has refused to resign which has put May in a position where she can do a power grab in the first place.

Corbyn is damaging the UK and hes' not even in power.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,798 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Having started the exit procedure by invoking Article 50, could a new Gov cancel it and choose to remain within the EU as no negotiations have started yet.

A former PM of Luxembourg says that it can. Problem is getting a government which would be willing to do that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement