Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    She is not up for the job. She appears to have no idea what is required and runs away. If it is too much for her, she should quit. She is not doing a good job.

can you name a harder time for a British PM in the last thirty years?

Amazing. Perhaps those people met her as voters. This was a business meeting and she was very rude to staff and the others around the table according to this woman. Maybe she was having a bad day. I suspect she's having quite a lot of those.

She is PM, everyone she meets she meets as voters.

Why was she at a business meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Assisting the head of a large institution. No PM should govern on the basis that everyone they meet is a voter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Falklands Wars, Iraq invasion, most of the 90s with IRA bombing away happily comes to mind... You know major real life threatening events rather than backstabbing to become PM and do a **** job well before the election was called and then failing to attend not only debates but even show up in general for the snap election she called.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In fairness, the Tory party has only itself to blame. It pushed an ideological austerity agenda and while their corporate allies in the press blamed immigration and the EU.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Falklands Wars, Iraq invasion, most of the 90s with IRA bombing away happily comes to mind... You know major real life threatening events rather than backstabbing to become PM and do a **** job well before the election was called and then failing to attend not only debates but even show up in general for the snap election she called.

Rubbish. They were all pretty simple compared to the task she has to do at the moment.

The country is divided, one half wants to stay in europe, the other wants to leave and that half (the larger half) doesn't actually know what leaving europe actually means. Chuck in a few terrorist attacks and it has been a horrendous term for TM so far.

The UK is probably facing its biggest test since the Suez Crisis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I have my problems with Theresa May but I don't think she's screwed anyone over to become PM.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Rubbish. They were all pretty simple compared to the task she has to do at the moment.

The country is divided, one half wants to stay in europe, the other wants to leave and that half (the larger half) doesn't actually know what leaving europe actually means. Chuck in a few terrorist attacks and it has been a horrendous term for TM so far.

Hmmm. Being bombed would be a bigger test.

No sympathy for TM whatsoever. Architect of her own downfall.

Hmmm. Being bombed would be a bigger test.

No sympathy for TM whatsoever. Architect of her own downfall.

you mean like three terrorist attacks in three months and a possible fourth last night?

you mean like three terrorist attacks in three months and a possible fourth last night?

No, i don't mean that. Was she personally involved?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What exactly did TM as home secretary do last year about the horrific murder of Jo Cox by an extremist English Nationalist? I do not recall any action but maybe I was not paying attention.

She had a similar non-reaction to the Grenfell Tower inferno - hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Theresa May and the case for sympathy:

Brexit: She called an election during the 2 year countdown to the UK leaving the EU. Wasting valuable negotiation time. All for a power grab.

Terrorism: She's entering into a deal with a party with terrorist connections and sympathies. She's also endangering the GFA by taking a side in the Northern Ireland government. She indicated as much when she said "she will never be neutral as regards Northern Ireland. She's a dangerous ideologue.

What exactly did TM as home secretary do last year about the horrific murder of Jo Cox by an extremist English Nationalist? I do not recall any action but maybe I was not paying attention.

What would you have had her do? Thomas Mair was quickly arrested, charged and imprisoned.

That's just plain daft to be honest. You quite clearly don't like her and are just clutching at straws as an excuse to criticise the woman.

What would you have had her do? Thomas Mair was quickly arrested, charged and imprisoned.

maybe she should have declared war on England in retaliation?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Or not formed a government with backing of terrorist sympathisers. It puts her in a bad light especially in the aftermath of Manchester.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Or not formed a government with backing of terrorist sympathisers. It puts her in a bad light especially in the aftermath of Manchester.

Well, apart from that and the fact that the party is riddled with creationists, homophobes, bigots and death penalty advocates, what could possibly go wrong?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do not think that Theresa May had any hand act or part in the arrest of the perpetrator of Jo Cox's murder.

Given the level of hate generated by the EU referendum at the time, I think a high level campaign to quieten it might have helped - maybe delay the date for voting. It was not as if the EU campaign was unrelated to the murder.

I am unaware of any action by TM, the then Home Secretary, as a direct result of the murder of one of her fellow MPs.

I do not think that Theresa May had any hand act or part in the arrest of the perpetrator of Jo Cox's murder.

Given the level of hate generated by the EU referendum at the time, I think a high level campaign to quieten it might have helped - maybe delay the date for voting. It was not as if the EU campaign was unrelated to the murder.

I am unaware of any action by TM, the then Home Secretary, as a direct result of the murder of one of her fellow MPs.

Again, what would you have liked her to do? She had no power over the holding of the referendum at all and barely campaigned for the remain side she said she supported.

Again, what would you have liked her to do? She had no power over the holding of the referendum at all and barely campaigned for the remain side she said she supported.

She was a senior member of the cabinet. As you say, she barely did anything.

• Advertisement

She was a senior member of the cabinet. As you say, she barely did anything.

You still haven't answered my question. What should she, as Home Secretary have done about the murder of an MP in what is essentially a freak occurrence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

She is not up for the job. She knows it too, but is too stubborn to move aside and let someone else do it. She is harming the UK for her own selfish conceit to stay as PM, IMO. The job is no harder now than it ever was, and if it is, a competent PM is the least requirement.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    She is not up for the job. She knows it too, but is too stubborn to move aside and let someone else do it. She is harming the UK for her own selfish conceit to stay as PM, IMO. The job is no harder now than it ever was, and if it is, a competent PM is the least requirement.

so who is then?

You still haven't answered my question. What should she, as Home Secretary have done about the murder of an MP in what is essentially a freak occurrence?

I do not know what she 'could' have done. All I am aware of is that nothing was done by her - but then I was not following her lacklustre career as Home Secretary.

so who is then?

Jezza - that is who.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

so who is then?

May is awful but she epitomises the state of the Tories. The party is split over Brexit. The sensible ones know its a disaster but they are held hostage to the ideological fantasists and the media.

They have brought it on themselves. May happens to be the rabbit in the headlights but in the present circumstances, it probably doesn't matter. The UK needs to get to bottom of the bereavement curve before anything much can be done.

I do not know what she 'could' have done. All I am aware of is that nothing was done by her - but then I was not following her lacklustre career as Home Secretary.

An MP is tragically murdered by some nutter and you think the Home secretary should do something, but you don't know what so you are just going to accuse her of doing nothing?
    Jezza - that is who.

So you would rather democracy is ignored because you like Jeremy Corbyn?

Labour lost the election, get over it.

Is that not a bit unfair and self-contradictory? You complain that she did nothing and don't know what she should have done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

An MP is tragically murdered by some nutter and you think the Home secretary should do something, but you don't know what so you are just going to accuse her of doing nothing?

So you would rather democracy is ignored because you like Jeremy Corbyn?

Labour lost the election, get over it.
    so who is then?
    That's just plain daft to be honest. You quite clearly don't like her and are just clutching at straws as an excuse to criticise the woman.

Are you planning on actually giving any arguments why May is a strong and good PM any time soon rather than constantly counter everything with questions or non facts or arguments instead? Or are you simply acknowledging the fact she's not fit for the position but there is no good alternative in the party (which I'd agree with in general) but don't want to post that outright? The above is your full posts on the page 220 alone as a reference to my initial question in this post to you but if you have answered that earlier I must have missed it and apologize.

• Advertisement

Are you planning on actually giving any arguments why May is a strong and good PM any time soon rather than constantly counter everything with questions or non facts or arguments instead? Or are you simply acknowledging the fact she's not fit for the position but there is no good alternative in the party (which I'd agree with in general) but don't want to post that outright? The above is your full posts on the page 220 alone as a reference to my initial question in this post to you but if you have answered that earlier I must have missed it and apologize.

A moderator back seat modding?

There are no arguments to counter. There are just a number of stupid statements based on people's dislike of the Tory Party. I mean, criticising her for not taking action after Joe Cox's murder? wtf is that all about.

And yeah, I gave you a response as to why I think this is probably the hardest time faced by any British PM in the last thrity years ( or more).

So why do you think she "Back Stabbed" her way to Prime Minister?

She is under considerable pressure at the moment, but I have yet to see anything that would suggest to me she isn't up to the job. She is certainly the best of a bad bunch at the very least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement