Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

CFlat wrote: »
    Even Farage is saying at this stage that Remain may nick it.

He's probably hoping remain wins. He may have to actually bring it in instead of yelling about it from the sidelines. UKIP will be out of a job if he is successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Who would that favour?

Leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Mr. Cameron? ;)

Mr Very Exposed To Collapse In Sterling aka Mr Can't Survive Another Recession actually

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Akrasia wrote: »
    Nobody knows what will happen. Britain might not survive. The EU might not survive long term either but we'll have lost out only powerful ally in the EU. Brexit is categorically bad for Ireland.

You've kind of negated the rest of your post with your first sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He's probably hoping remain wins. He may have to actually bring it in instead of yelling about it from the sidelines. UKIP will be out of a job if he is successful.
    He said it before the count started. Then Sunderland came in with the body blow and it all went mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Broxbourne and Kettering voted almost exactly as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭quokula

Who would that favour?

It would favour leave.

I live in London and I personally know 4 people who were planning to vote remain and couldn't get to the polling booth because all the trains were ****ed due to the storms - if that is typical across the city then it could be a huge factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Leave

London will be massively Remain but the overall trend of higher turnout in the Leave areas is starting to become a concern, literally no chance of a Leave vote from London though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

You've kind of negated the rest of your post with your first sentence.

Na, nobody knows if it will be good for Britain long term, what we DO know is that it will be very very bad for Ireland short term at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Na, nobody knows if it will be good for Britain long term, what we DO know is that it will be very very bad for Ireland short term at least.

Why? All conditions as they exist today will exist tomorrow regardless of the result. There is plenty of time to negotiate Brexit, and the UK will be the ones desperate for terms with the EU. Any service institution looking for an English speaking EU home will move to Dublin. Instability is not something to be sought out but I think the negative impact to Ireland is overdone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The ECB/EU decision to throw Ireland to the lions was very bad for us. I doubt we could have anything as catastrophic happen to us again.

London will be massively Remain but the overall trend of higher turnout in the Leave areas is starting to become a concern, literally no chance of a Leave vote from London though.

I know. Im saying that that 4%, That will be a large amount of Remain Votes missing from the total votes around the country

Everything hinges on just how well the London Remain vote has held up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Would be ironic if the Brexiters who wanted Scotland to remain two years ago are thwarted in their efforts to leave by those very Scots.

Sand wrote: »
    Why? All conditions as they exist today will exist tomorrow regardless of the result. There is plenty of time to negotiate Brexit, and the UK will be the ones desperate for terms with the EU. Any service institution looking for an English speaking EU home will move to Dublin. Instability is not something to be sought out but I think the negative impact to Ireland is overdone.

Eleven EU countries, not including the UK, have more fluent English speakers than our entire population

One supposed polling expert has predicted a Leave vote.

Nick Sutton ✔ @suttonnick
    John Curtice: At the moment at least the Leave side are favourites to win this Referendum - but there is still a very long way to go. #EUref

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Think the London remain will be underwhelming, in comparison to a seemingly overwhelming leave response elsewhere.
    Wales are expected to return a leave result overall, despite Wales being a net beneficiary of EU funding and lower immigration levels.
    Cant help think that there are austerity issues clouding the ballots.

I dont really believe that. We will be the only English speaking country left in the EU with a low Corporate tax rate.

You should/will have alot of companies currently based in the UK wanting to move to Ireland so they have the trade deals with the EU

Large companies do not wait 2 years to see what happens.

They will try and get there operations set up ASAP.

The UK could lose half there financial center quick smart.

Banks already have said they have plan Bs for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Currently the EU has tariffs on Agricultural products, therefore making Irish produce more competitive in the UK market. If tariffs are introduced between Ireland and UK and/or UK drops tariffs on non EU agricultural produce it will have a very big impact on Irish exports.

That's just one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There are potential upsides, but we're pawns in this game, and we will be used by bigger players for their own ends. With Britain in exile, we are utterly marginalised in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,560 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Lagan Valley voted 53.1% to leave!

Eleven EU countries, not including the UK, have more fluent English speakers than our entire population

Yep, down to 11 from 12, so an improvement in our position relatively speaking rather than a downturn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

There are potential upsides, but we're pawns in this game, and we will be used by bigger players for their own ends. With Britain in exile, we are utterly marginalised in Europe.
    thats the thing people ignore or forget or underestimate our relationship with the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

One supposed polling expert has predicted a Leave vote.

Nick Sutton ✔ @suttonnick
    John Curtice: At the moment at least the Leave side are favourites to win this Referendum - but there is still a very long way to go. #EUref

That's not exactly a full blooded prediction is it?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Scotland have voted 60% Remain, 40% Leave so far.

Britain is not exactly a useful ally - it marginalises itself, barely represents its own interests and people are fooling themselves if it views Ireland as anything other than a pawn to be used for its own ends.

I'm just not seeing the cataclysm for Ireland in the event of a Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

When it comes to agriculture our biggest ally in the EU is France.
    But yeah we are a bit too dependent on the UK with our food exports.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

Do they not have tally men in the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ah ****e I was hoping there would be more results by now. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Good night everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Scotland have voted 60% Remain, 40% Leave so far.

population of scotland or wales or NI is tiny compared to england
    scotland and wales together is = london

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement