Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I think whatever happens, they'll need a new name, its anything but a United Kingdom...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

mansize wrote: »
    THE UK is split, whatever the result.

51% remain aint much of a mandate
    I doubt that Remain will win by as much as 2% - the difference is 0.6% with a lot of big Leave votes still to come in ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

telegraph site has crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Even if the Remain side shade it, there's no hiding from the fact that those outside London feel politically and economically disenfranchised.
    Given all the focus was on immigration I find that bewildering. Most immigrants end up in London - the area overwhelmingly in favour of remain. Precious few end up in the Valleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am getting tired, more tea, didn't think it would be so close, no one knows the result and near 3am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Overall turnout averaging 65-70%, this may lower to somewhere between 63-68%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

THE UK is split, whatever the result.

51% remain aint much of a mandate

This. I'd fooled myself into thinking that the Leave vote was a fringe movement. This is not about 'a failure to communicate the message' or voter apathy. This is millions of people who obviously don't appear in my Twitter feed or read the Guardian.

1/4 of the way through

20k votes in it.

Fcukin' hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Given all the focus was on immigration I find that bewildering. Most immigrants end up in London - the area overwhelmingly in favour of remain. Precious few end up in the Valleys.

The media would have you believe it was a referendum on immigration. It was far more nuanced than that.

Big Leave votes coming in now ... the tide is turning (probably not for the last time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

But there are significantly more votes in London

Right now the areas that were expected to be a little bit leave are coming in as high turnout and stronger leave then expected for a 50/50 result. Strong leave areas are coming in stronger then expected with high turnouts.

In contrast the Scottish areas that were expected to be remain have low turnout.

London has a huge deficit to make up, they'll need both a high turnout and a higher then expected remain vote to start to counteract the poor results in the North and Scotland.

From a remain point of view this is looking very very close at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

London seems to be voting 3 to 1 remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

Guardian running total:

Remain: 2,877,575 (50.01%)
    Leave: 2,876,697 (49.99%)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

Even if the Remain side shade it, there's no hiding from the fact that those outside London feel politically and economically disenfranchised.
    But what has that really got to do with the E.U.? The same people in rural England that are voting to leave were the same ones that handily returned the Conservatives to power last year, hardly an announcement of being fed up with the status quo and more a reflection of generic reactionary politics. The U.K. being a part of the EU wont change the every-man's economic or social standards one iota and if they truly believe that they have been royally duped by Johnson/Farage and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

wow leave now even money, 8/11 remain. Never thought it would be so close, still think Remain will just win out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Clampdown wrote: »
    wow leave now even money, 8/11 remain. Never thought it would be so close, still think Remain will just win out.

Scratch that, 10/11 leave and 4/5 remain, 10 secs later!

Islington was 3:1, wish Arsenal got those kind of results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Ah I just wanna go to bed but it's getting spicy

RobertKK wrote: »
    London seems to be voting 3 to 1 remain.
    Central London - not London - watch the outer boroughs

Arytonblue wrote: »
    But what has that really got to do with the E.U.? The same people in rural England that are voting to leave were the same ones that handily returned the Conservatives to power last year, hardly an announcement of being fed up with the status quo and more a reflection of generic reactionary politics. The U.K. being a part of the EU wont change the every-man's economic or social standards one iota and if they truly believe that they have been royally duped by Johnson/Farage and co.

Poorer people are going to worse off by leaving, thats the unfortunate thing.

Workers' rights will be decimated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Clampdown wrote: »
    Scratch that, 10/11 leave and 4/5 remain, 10 secs later!

The betting odds are more down to people throwing money to be honest. I'm betting a few lumped on remain when it went to evens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The index guy on the BBC clearly believe it's a leave vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Liverpool with a sizable remain vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The opening prices on Fridays FTSE will be either boom or bust

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

This may go to penalties.

First Scottish Constituency Leave vote - and not a single politician in Scotland representing that position

Have the remain campaign won anywhere unexpected yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Results on BBC as of this post

Leave: 4,155,861
    Remain: 4,125,136

Leave ahead by 30k votes atm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Results on BBC as of this post

Leave: 4,155,861
    Remain: 4,125,136

Leave ahead by 30k votes atm

• Advertisement

Arytonblue wrote: »

Poorer people are going to worse off by leaving, thats the unfortunate thing.

Workers' rights will be decimated
    No they won't. Wages will rise and so will employment with a lower pound.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement