Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Sinn Fein calling for a border poll now on BBC.

They were calling for one a few weeks ago anyways.

Regardless we could see that and a 2nd scottish referendum within a few years if leave nail it. Scotland on account of them being majority EU and the north both on economic reasons and the fact this would be the shinners best chance of a complete reunification of Ireland itself.

Its all wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

how is the euro holding up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

So we can keep chickens again now and kill them without being told what to do from Brussels:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

whatever_ wrote: »
    If the UK leave, England's relationship with Wales, NI, Scotland and especially Ireland is crucial.
    There would be a clear political case for both the EU and UK to fix a problem such as this. I'm talking about
    Ireland. Ireland has no plans to leave (yet).

It would be the same as the other 26 members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Norway has a population of about 5 million, the UK has a population of about 65 million. It would be fairly advantageous to the EU to keep the UK on side. I'd be surprised if the UK couldn't negotiate a better deal than Norway.

Norway sell oil and buy everything else.
    They're very attractive to the EU.
    The U.K. would be looking to compete directly with EU countries and businesses. It's a bigger market but not necessarily more attractive as a trading partner.

• Advertisement

Norway sell oil and buy everything else.
    They're very attractive to the EU.
    The U.K. would be looking to compete directly with EU countries and businesses. It's a bigger market but not necessarily more attractive as a trading partner.

% wise, the EU are more important to the EU that the UK is to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

how is the euro holding up?

Steady against the US dollar.
    Rising strongly against Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

laugh wrote: »
    Doesn't mean it won't be bad for them.

Depends on whether the EU want to be vindictive. Will they want to deter other nation states from exiting - this is what will happen to you if you go like the British.

I find it hard to believe they will do this as it will hit them in their own pockets.The British are too big and influential to treat like trash, i.e. like Greece were treated.

hawkwing wrote: »
    So we can keep chickens again now and kill them without being told what to do from Brussels:)

probably have mad chicken disease

whatever_ wrote: »
    If the UK leave, England's relationship with Wales, NI, Scotland and especially Ireland is crucial.
    There would be a clear political case for both the EU and UK to fix a problem such as this. I'm talking about
    Ireland. Ireland has no plans to leave (yet).

Its safe to say that while I can see the many benefits of the EU, I can also see its seriously needing reform to make it legitimate otherwise I would consider leaving too if there was a referendum here.

Honestly a leave vote could be what the EU needs it might be the only thing that will make them wake up and realise the way they treated Ireland over the whole bailout and the whole screwup with the greek situation only serves to undermine their own support base for them. If they dont sort their priorities out they'll not be worth squat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

On a side note, Spain have said they will put a border up with Gibraltar. This would be a disaster for them, I wonder will they consider leaving the UK as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

On a side note, Spain have said they will put a border up with Gibraltar. This would be a disaster for them, I wonder will they consider leaving the UK as well.

Not a chance! :)

Infini2 wrote: »
    Its safe to say that while I can see the many benefits of the EU, I can also see its seriously needing reform to make it legitimate otherwise I would consider leaving too if there was a referendum here.

Honestly a leave vote could be what the EU needs it might be the only thing that will make them wake up and realise the way they treated Ireland over the whole bailout and the whole screwup with the greek situation only serves to undermine their own support base for them. If they dont sort their priorities out they'll not be worth squat.

The UK Leave vote has nothing to do with the EU treatments of Ireland and Greece, its all about the free movement of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

laugh wrote: »
    What mess? It's the democratic will of the British people.

Doesn't mean it won't be bad for them.
    Doesn't mean it will be bad either. German exporters today said it was inconceivable that they would not have a trade deal with the UK. All this doomsday nonsense is without foundation.

Depends on whether the EU want to be vindictive. Will they want to deter other nation states from exiting - this is what will happen to you if you go like the British.

I find it hard to believe they will do this as it will hit them in their own pockets.The British are too big and influential to treat like trash, i.e. like Greece were treated.

They've been vindictive and petty at least as far back as when the euro came in or at least since the mid 2000's. The crash of 2008 and how they handled things shows exactly how out of touch they've become. Brits wont take their shenanigans like the way they pushed the greeks around thats true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Thud

RobertKK wrote: »
    Steady against the US dollar.
    Rising strongly against Sterling.

Which dollar is that?

smjm wrote: »
    Not a chance! :)
    I don't think they would want reunion with Spain - but maybe they would go it alone an reapply for EU membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

STG just hit 1.35 USD tha's a 10% drop since the high yesterday. Project fear? damn right!

I don't think they would want reunion with Spain - but maybe they would go it alone an reapply for EU membership?

They'd have to sign up to Schengen

They've been vindictive and petty at least as far back as when the euro came in or at least since the mid 2000's. The crash of 2008 and how they handled things shows exactly how out of touch they've become. Brits wont take their shenanigans like the way they pushed the greeks around thats true.

What should they have done with Greece?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mansize wrote: »
    The UK Leave vote has nothing to do with the EU treatments of Ireland and Greece, its all about the free movement of people.

Yes, it's been immigration issues.

All those foreigners causing the problems.

Let them leave and then in 10 years discover they still have all the same problems despite stopping the immigrants.

Then what?

Lived in The Netherlands and saw same thing there, blaming foreigners for everything. Hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

Nope - regardless of how they voted today, they're staunch British! :)

It's got everything to do with the failure of the EU on a number of fronts. The failure of the currency, the failure of its economies, Britain's lack of influence (through not being in that currency union), the failure of its immigration policy, its lack of democratic accountability. The Remain campaign has been weak because it has been unable to identify any positives about the EU.

It's got everything to do with the failure of the EU on a number of fronts. The failure of the currency, the failure of its economies, Britain's lack of influence (through not being in that currency union), the failure of its immigration policy, its lack of democratic accountability. The Remain campaign has been weak because it has been unable to identify any positives about the EU.

They'd have to sign up to Schengen

Ireland should join Schengen if there's a Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Gibraltor would be better off joining Spain.

Leave now 1/20.

This is a disaster, people will be waking up to some shock tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Looks like Farage is declaring a victory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement