Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

RT&#201 wrote:
    "Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon says the vote "makes clear that the people of Scotland see their future as part of the European Union". All 32 local authority areas there returned majorities for Remain." Highly likely they'll try for another referendum and this time they'll win.

Methinks Nationalism is already brewing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

RobertKK wrote: »
    Bloomberg thinks the EU will go hard on the UK to stop the further disintegration of Europe.

It has to, to save the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Spurion

I was a Corbyn supporter but he's been a disaster. Time for him to go along with Cameron.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

smjm wrote: »
    A second referendum would confirm the first one. Scottish independence when rUK is in the EU is one thing - when rUK is outside the EU is quite another. Scots aren't daft! :)

Not sure about that. If the Scots want to be part of the EU ,as seems likely, then the only chance now is to vote to leave the UK surely?

Anyway I'm going to try and get a few hours of sleep. Night Morning folks.

Spurion wrote: »
    I was a Corbyn supporter but he's been a disaster. Time for him to go along with Cameron.

He was dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

mansize wrote: »
    It has to, to save the union.

It is what I was telling leave voters on twitter who wouldn't believe me.
    But the EU has to for our own interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Bloomberg thinks the EU will go hard on the UK to stop the further disintegration of Europe.

I'd like to think that today is the beginning of the end of the European Union, and good riddance to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

A trading block always made sense to me but bloated bureaucracy and needless, mindless integration for the sake of integration has always irked me. Hopefully the Brits show us the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

So what happens EU citizens in the UK now ? I know the Irish etc will be grand but will Eastern Europeans be turfed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'd like to think that today is the beginning of the end of the European Union, and good riddance to it.

Doubtful. This is a warning shot though. Get your act together and make yourselves relevant or more will go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Not sure about that. If the Scots want to be part of the EU ,as seems likely, then the only chance now is to vote to leave the UK surely?

Anyway I'm going to try and get a few hours of sleep. Night Morning folks.

Not allowing the free movement of people with Scotland in the EU and the rest of Uk out would be fun!

Megan Greene on Bloomberg "This is an existential threat to the EU"

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

The Scots want to be part of an EU that the rUK belongs to as well. That's why the SNP always talked about keeping the Pound, not joining the Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Spurion wrote: »

He deserves a lot of flack for the loss, he was so enthusiastic when he got his public platforms and the fact is, he simply has not clicked with the core labour working class supporter. This is a massive **** you to him as well. He won't be in charge much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Infini2 wrote: »
    Doubtful. This is a warning shot though. Get your act together and make yourselves relevant or more will go.

You would think it would be very bad for Brittain/England&Wales if their vote leads to the change in the EU, but the EU negotiated harshly with the UK for the benefit of the EU. They would be out of the EU and see a changed EU as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

So what happens EU citizens in the UK now ? I know the Irish etc will be grand but will Eastern Europeans be turfed out?

Residency permits maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

All the professional pollsters will be lining up to say that this is what their projections actually pointed to all along. Chancers.

It is no coincidence that the longest timeframe for peace in Europe has been during the existence of the EEC/EU.

I would be fearful if the EU fell apart.

Infini2 wrote: »

The thing is, if an in/out referendum was put to each "member state", there would be a fair chunk of countries who would vote to leave. It's about time the Eurocrats took their heads out of the sand and acknowledged this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Also, have UKIP MEPs just voted for unemployment for themselves and are celebrating it? How will they receive their salaries if the EU isn't going to pay it?

• Advertisement

It is no coincidence that the longest timeframe for peace in Europe has been during the existence of the EEC/EU.

I would be fearful if the EU fell apart.

Acting as a buffer to Mr Putin.

The Scots want to be part of an EU that the rUK belongs to as well. That's why the SNP always talked about keeping the Pound, not joining the Euro.

that was only down to the weakness of the Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Best of luck to them with that. I think they'll find the Brits a slightly different proposition than ourselves or the Greeks when it comes to intimidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The thing is, if an in/out referendum was put to each "member state", there would be a fair chunk of countries who would vote to leave. It's about time the Eurocrats took their heads out of the sand and acknowledged this.

Which is why I would consider this a warning shot because if they dont get their act together eventually the agitation and rejection in those countries will reach a point that they WILL leave if the EU doesnt make itself relevant in the eyes of the people.

Edinburgh has the potential to attract city financial services jobs too!

Absolutely nothing changes in the short-term. For those already in the UK, I personally don't think anything will happen in the longer-term either. It's another reason why the EU won't play tough with the UK. Poland, Spain, Portugal etc don't want hundreds of thousands of their people coming home. Everyone will play nicely. It's the only sensible thing to do! :)

Absolutely nothing changes in the short-term. For those already in the UK, I personally don't think anything will happen in the longer-term either. It's another reason why the EU won't play tough with the UK. Poland, Spain, Portugal etc don't want hundreds of thousands of their people coming home. Everyone will play nicely. It's the only sensible thing to do! :)

Spain has net migration with the UK.

Best of luck to them with that. I think they'll find the Brits a slightly different proposition than ourselves or the Greeks when it comes to intimidation.

The Brits don't hold all the cards at all.

The Brits won't take no shit from anybody, and more power to them for that.

• Advertisement

If that's your belief, I doubt I could change your mind. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement