Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is no coincidence that the longest timeframe for peace in Europe has been during the existence of the EEC/EU.

I would be fearful if the EU fell apart.

Aye the "wonderful" Marine Le Pen will be absolutely delirious with this when she wakes up, wouldn't be shocked if we get a similar vote as well their.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The Brits won't take no shit from anybody, and more power to them for that.

They aren't exactly in a strong bargaining position tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Euro has lost 2% against the dollar, going to the US later in the year, hope no catastrophe happens with Brexit.

smjm wrote: »
    If that's your belief, I doubt I could change your mind. :)

The Euro was never a good selling point.

The Euro has lost 2% against the dollar, going to the US later in the year, hope no catastrophe happens with Brexit.

Euro will be quite weak.

• Advertisement

The Brits won't take no shit from anybody, and more power to them for that.

The Brits will be in a weak position against the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

mansize wrote: »
    The Brits don't hold all the cards at all.

Whereas the EU does? Are they going to impose trade sanctions, blockade them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

They aren't exactly in a strong bargaining position tbf

We'll see. They've got their sovereignty and their right to self-determination back, and there's a lot to be said for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

Spain has net migration with the UK.

The Spanish in the UK are mostly young people who would be unemployed and a drain on the economy if they had to go home. The Brits in Spain are mostly pensioners who take money out of the UK and bring it in to Spain. I don't think a swap would be in Spanish interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Northern Irish team ****ting themselves in France?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Infini2 wrote: »
    Which is why I would consider this a warning shot because if they dont get their act together eventually the agitation and rejection in those countries will reach a point that they WILL leave if the EU doesnt make itself relevant in the eyes of the people.

It can never be relevant. A free trade agreement is where union should start and end. Having representatives you have no power to vote in or out make increasingly more important decisions for you is the very definition of stupity.

We'll see. They've got their sovereignty and their right to self-determination back, and there's a lot to be said for that.

They cut off their noses despite their faces.

The cost of living in the UK is going to rise sharply.

Campbell's face is priceless. Sky News :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

The Spanish in the UK are mostly young people who would be unemployed and a drain on the economy if they had to go home. The Brits in Spain are mostly pensioners who take money out of the UK and bring it in to Spain. I don't think a swap would be in Spanish interests.

Do you have any evidence that there are large numbers of young Spaniards moving to the Uk to live on the their oh so generous social welfare?

I don't see them here.

Japanese Yen up over 18% against Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

£1 is €1.21 now.

A great day for Ireland I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Northern Irish team ****ting themselves in France?

Nah.... Wales aren't that scary.

They cut off their noses despite their faces.

The cost of living in the UK is going to rise sharply.

Don't believe everything the economists say. There might be short-term pain but it might very well be long-term gain for them.

Campbell's face is priceless. Sky News :D

Shocked at being stuck in little England and the UK in turmoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

NikoTopps wrote: »
    £1 is €1.21 now.

A great day for Ireland I think!

We sell alot of **** to the UK and now that will be more expensive, if I worked for an exporter I would be extremely worried for my future.

• Advertisement

Shocked at being stuck in little England and the UK in turmoil.

Watching him squirm is worth it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

laugh wrote: »
    Do you have any evidence that there are large numbers of young Spanish moving to the Uk to live on the their oh so generous social welfare?

I don't see them here.
    They're not on welfare in the UK. They're good workers and the vast majority have jobs. They wouldn't have jobs back in Spain. That's why they moved to the UK in the first place. It wasn't for the weather! :)

Don't believe everything the economists say. There might be short-term pain but it might very well be long-term gain for them.

Look at the currency moves - the UK doesn't produce enough food to feed itself - food prices will rise.
    Irish food exports today compared to yesterday are over 8% more expensive.
    The cost of living in the UK will rise a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

What you're seeing in the markets is quick correction. They were full sure remain would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

sink wrote: »
    We sell alot of **** to the UK and now that will be more expensive, if I worked for an exporter I would be extremely worried for my future.

We also have access to a 2827 country strong market so I'm not in the slightest bit worried.

Amazon purchases just got a hell of a lot cheaper!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

They're not on welfare in the UK. They're good workers and the vast majority have jobs. They wouldn't have jobs back in Spain. That's why they moved to the UK in the first place. It wasn't for the weather! :)

Sorry stayed up all night and misread your post.

Watching him squirm is worth it all.

It is ordinary people's lives who will suffer, he can afford the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭Enzokk

You have to wonder about the quality of UK workers if a person can get a job over someone when English is not their first language.

Look at the currency moves - the UK doesn't produce enough food to feed itself - food prices will rise.
    Irish food exports today compared to yesterday are over 8% more expensive.
    The cost of living in the UK will rise a lot.

As I said; short-term pain, long-term gain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

As I said, short-term pain, long-term gain.

What are you basing this "long term gain" prediction on? Can you also be specific?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement