Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

I think Farages will start popping up all over the EU very soon
    24 June's the first day of the beginning of the end for the Union

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The UK deserves for the UK to fall apart for what they have voted for.

I think Farages will start popping up all over the EU very soon
    24 June's the first day of the beginning of the end for the Union

Can we just ban him from entering the EU now? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

RobertKK wrote: »

Be careful what you wish for cos you just might get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Can we just ban him from entering the EU now? :D

Absolutely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Professor John Curtice on bbc.co.uk

So, effectively the idiots won the day. Stupid, reactionary, emotional positions won the argument. A shameful day for the UK really.

So there are more idiots in the UK than rational thinkers?

Wales have voted to leave the EU, yet they receive more funding from the EU than most regions in the UK. Many of the areas that receive higher funding from the EU have voted to leave. Ready, Aim for Foot, FIRE!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

So, effectively the idiots won the day. Stupid, reactionary, emotional positions won the argument. A shameful day for the UK really.

Or the economically disenfranchised to put it another way. Funnily enough for Cameron, Thatcher is the mother of all this. The parts of England and Wales that she laid waste to have had their say.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

You'd swear they turned their backs on Eden.

The Brits hadn't a hope of forcing reform from within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

The female version of Trump is on BBC right now.

It's superb for the UK that they left the EU. No more depth than that!

• Advertisement

A whole continent in shock.

An uncertain future for Europe and the UK.

Last night and today will go down in history.

corny wrote: »
    You'd swear they turned their backs on Eden.

The Brits hadn't a hope of forcing reform from within the EU.

I think they may just get the reform they wanted, but with them looking in from outside the window. It is clear the EU will have to reform or more countries will want to leave and cause more disruptions to the EU.

The EU also cannot be seen to kowtow to the UK as well. If they give too much to the UK you know those in France and Germany that are EU skeptics will use it to show what they can get. This could end really badly for a lot of people just because they were scared of living next to someone speaking a different language.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

Yes, how dare people think for themselves! It's the thin edge of the wedge! They'll be looking for democracy next! It really won't do!

Delighted with that result:pac:

Anyone coming Dublin for a few spoons to celebrate? ;)

smjm wrote: »
    Yes, how dare people think for themselves! It's the thin edge of the wedge! They'll be looking for democracy next! It really won't do!

You know what pays for their state to function?

A services based economy based largely in the places that voted remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

The main question is.....

How will this affect me buying games from England.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    The main question is.....

How will this affect me buying games from England.

Good day for amazon.co.uk shopping, every cloud and all that.

laugh wrote: »

I've got a funny feeling that the UK will survive.

They'll survive but they haven't improved their lot by doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

There's only one solution for that....... They should only allow graduates to have a vote from now on.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Time will tell. To some people, sovereignty is more important than anything else. Surely the people of Ireland can understand that better than most?

Enzokk wrote: »
    I think they may just get the reform they wanted, but with them looking in from outside the window. It is clear the EU will have to reform or more countries will want to leave and cause more disruptions to the EU.

The EU also cannot be seen to kowtow to the UK as well. If they give too much to the UK you know those in France and Germany that are EU skeptics will use it to show what they can get. This could end really badly for a lot of people just because they were scared of living next to someone speaking a different language.

They probably carried the day I suppose but that's not an admission that the leave position is invalid.

Outside looking in or slave to a flawed system you can't change? Its a tough one alright. Despite the predictions from all only time will tell if they were right. I'm glad they've forced this discourse at least.

So in summary:
    - United Kingdom Leaves EU with 16.784m votes.
    - Farage speaks of 'independence day'
    - Sterling suffers its biggest one-day fall
    - Northern Ireland and Scotland vote to Remain
    - Sinn Féin seeks Irish unity vote.

I would guess everyone will need a new passport as well from the UK as well, one that doesn't say that they are part of the EU. Wonder what that will cost?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

The UK actually may not survive in its current form. Nicola Sturgeon has already made a statement indicating a new Scottish independence referendum will be happening shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Enzokk wrote: »
    I would guess everyone will need a new passport as well from the UK as well, one that doesn't say that they are part of the EU. Wonder what that will cost?

And new travel insurance as the free EU healthcare they enjoy in other countries is no more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Time will tell. To some people, sovereignty is more important than anything else. Surely the people of Ireland can understand that better than most?
    What loss of sovereignty? The UK is one of the most influential members of EU and got many benefits in return.

It's like wanting to play a football match with others but not wanting the rules to apply to you. Now the British electorate will realize the lies told by Leave. You just can't have access to the sucks market without accepting some ground rules about free movement. Even Norway has to.

corny wrote: »
    They probably carried the day I suppose but that's not an admission that the leave position is invalid.

Outside looking in or slave to a flawed system you can't change? Its a tough one alright. Despite the predictions from all only time will tell if they were right. I'm glad they've forced this discourse at least.

In the main the argument to leave was about immigration. I would think this is what the majority made their decision on.

Looking at the pound loosing value, if this is just the market correcting itself, I would guess its a admission that the UK economy wasn't as strong as everyone assumed. Or will the predictions that all those agencies made about the financial impact actually be correct?

Macha wrote: »
    The UK actually may not survive in its current form. Nicola Sturgeon has already made a statement indicating a new Scottish independence referendum will be happening shortly.

Nothing will change. Another vote in Scotland will only mean a more decisive victory for Unionists. If the uncertainty scared them last time they'll be absolutely petrified now. Union in Ireland? That's a good one. Not a prayer. A huge majority here and there flat out don't want union.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    And new travel insurance as the free EU healthcare they enjoy in other countries is no more.

If they "take back control of their borders", expect lines for Schengen Visas for a visit to anywhere outside of the UK (and potentially England and Wales).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement