Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Macha wrote: »
    The UK actually may not survive in its current form. Nicola Sturgeon has already made a statement indicating a new Scottish independence referendum will be happening shortly.

Hopefully it goes belly up alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

smjm wrote: »
    Yes, how dare people think for themselves! It's the thin edge of the wedge! They'll be looking for democracy next! It really won't do!

Is that what I said? No, no it's not.

Of course they have the freedom to think for themselves. They have the freedom to think like stupid reactionary xenophobic idiots and make dumbass decisions, of course they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

corny wrote: »
    Nothing will change. Another vote in Scotland will only mean a more decisive victory for Unionists. If the uncertainty scared them last time they'll be absolutely petrified now. Union in Ireland? That's a good one. Not a prayer. A huge majority here and there flat out don't want union.

The strength of Scottish Unionism didn't defeat that referendum, scare tactics about the economy and warnings that they might not be granted membership of the EU as a sovereign nation did.

Can Cameron or his replacement PM make those arguments any time soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I cant believe it. I could end up losing my job from this. A large part of my companies trade is with EU countries. Its going to be an uncertain future for me.

Enzokk wrote: »
    If they "take back control of their borders", expect lines for Schengen Visas for a visit to anywhere outside of the UK (and potentially England and Wales).

Life is going to get tricky for Gibraltar residents for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

In the main the argument to leave was about immigration. I would think this is what the majority made their decision on.

Looking at the pound loosing value, if this is just the market correcting itself, I would guess its a admission that the UK economy wasn't as strong as everyone assumed. Or will the predictions that all those agencies made about the financial impact actually be correct?

Its a political issue. In a months time an equilibrium will be found and Britain won't be on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

smjm wrote: »
    Time will tell. To some people, sovereignty is more important than anything else. Surely the people of Ireland can understand that better than most?

Oh FFS.

Anton Boerner, head of Germany's foreign trade association:
    "That is a catastrophic result for Britain and also for Europe and Germany, especially the German economy. It is disturbing that the oldest democracy in the world turns its back on us."

Perhaps the Germans should have given Cameron more than a few token concessions in the recent negotiations then Mr Boerner. Oh and that whole "leave them all in" attitude of Merkel towards immigration didn't exactly help matters either.

laugh wrote: »
    The strength of Scottish Unionism didn't defeat that referendum, scare tactics about the economy and warnings that they might not be granted membership of the EU as a sovereign nation did.

Can Cameron or his replacement PM make those arguments any time soon?

I know that. I said as much. Do you deny scare tactics won't be used again? Or that they'll be even more potent in the current climate?

Scotland wants independence but they're certain not to go out on a limb anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Its a political issue. In a months time an equilibrium will be found and Britain won't be on fire.

It is, a lot will depend what happens with the economy. If the economy goes down a lot more than people expect then nationalism in Europe will be tempered a little as those will see what happens with the UK and may not want that to happen with them.

This may be a reason for the EU to be really hard on the UK. They will not want to encourage more countries to follow suit. It will all hang on the economic impact this has on the UK and whether other countries will want the same for themselves. Remember, the UK is the 5th biggest economy in the world, if they have a hard time what would it mean for a fragile France?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

John Bruton on CNBC now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

God, Faizal (sp) Islam on Sky News. Stopsm feckin blinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

They have the freedom to think like stupid reactionary xenophobic idiots and make dumbass decisions, of course they do.

Your disdain for over half the voting population of the UK, and democracy itself, is alarming.

Scotland wants independence but they're certain not to go out on a limb anytime soon.

On the contrary I think this hastens Scotland's exit from the UK. I don't think the Scot's will listen to scare tactics from english politicians next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Enzokk wrote:
    I would guess everyone will need a new passport as well from the UK as well, one that doesn't say that they are part of the EU. Wonder what that will cost?

Will be progressing my application for Irish Citizenship and passport - otherwise I'll be joining the non-EU queue at immigration while my wife and kids sail through the EU lane!

Not to mention the need to retain my right to work anywhere in the EU.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Nothing will change. Another vote in Scotland will only mean a more decisive victory for Unionists. If the uncertainty scared them last time they'll be absolutely petrified now. Union in Ireland? That's a good one. Not a prayer. A huge majority here and there flat out don't want union.

I don't think there's as large of a majority here in the south as you might think. It's funny how things can change though. Only yesterday I'd have been firmly in the camp of not wanting the problems of taking the north back. But now, in the context of unity and being part of something larger like a United Ireland and the European Union, I'd vote in favour of reuniting the country. If only because I believe in the European project and we're all better off in it. I wonder how many others would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

RobertKK wrote: »
    John Bruton on CNBC now.

I don't need to watch it to know that he's probably laying it on thick with Chicken Little warnings.

Your disdain for over half the voting population of the UK, and democracy itself, is alarming.

Ahem, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_federal_election,_March_1933

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I don't think there's as large of a majority here in the south as you might think. It's funny how things can change though. Only yesterday I'd have been firmly in the camp of not wanting the problems of taking the north back. But now, in the context of unity and being part of something larger like a United Ireland and the European Union, I'd vote in favour of reuniting the country. If only because I believe in the European project and we're all better off in it. I wonder how many others would too.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Rampant nationalism always ends well!

• Advertisement

HOW AGES VOTED (YouGov poll) 18-24: 75% Remain
    25-49: 56% Remain
    50-64: 44% Remain
    65+: 39% Remain

So not only stupid people voted out but stupid old people. It's pretty sickening for the young people of the UK to have their futures diminished by bed-blockers and coffin-dodgers who hate people with foreign accents and too many consonants in their names.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Is that what I said? No, no it's not.

Of course they have the freedom to think for themselves. They have the freedom to think like stupid reactionary xenophobic idiots and make dumbass decisions, of course they do.

Do you really think they were going to stay in?

Something was going to give, had the country stayed in the EU it would have eventually crumbled.

"stupid reactionary xenophobic idiots and make dumbass decisions,"

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Sky News' resident city analyst looks like he's seriously about to break down and cry.

laugh wrote: »
    Rampant nationalism always ends well!

The US voted for GW Bush, twice. I think the notion that just because the majority of people voted for a party/person doesn't mean its the right thing just because its democracy.

It is, a lot will depend what happens with the economy. If the economy goes down a lot more than people expect then nationalism in Europe will be tempered a little as those will see what happens with the UK and may not want that to happen with them.

This may be a reason for the EU to be really hard on the UK. They will not want to encourage more countries to follow suit. It will all hang on the economic impact this has on the UK and whether other countries will want the same for themselves. Remember, the UK is the 5th biggest economy in the world, if they have a hard time what would it mean for a fragile France?

The EU is basically Germany in this matter. Their interests are harmed by a trade with Britain. There will be no appetite for that. Both sides will make concessions and hammer out a deal. Britain will move forward largely unscathed economically. I'll repeat..this is a political issue. The stories of economic woe are unfounded and wildly exaggerated. Short term market volatility has little bearing and proves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Define better off?

For a few motorways we have to hand over our decision making to suits in brussels... which would be fine if Germany/France wernt in it just for themselves.

Case in point - british steel industry... it againsr EU law for the british goverment to subsedise... even though france and germany subsedise their own

Also, if NI joined the republic tomorrow it would bankrupt this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

So not only stupid people voted out but stupid old people. It's pretty sickening for the young people of the UK to have their futures diminished by bed-blockers and coffin-dodgers who hate people with foreign accents and too many consonants in their names.

You really are quite a nasty person you know! :)

Did I say idiots shouldn't have the vote? Your intention to distort what I posted is alarming.

They have every right to be idiots, just as I have every right to call them idiots for behaving like idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

who would have thought…feels a tad like the early 20th century all over again, sort of like the centuries-old axiom of all british foreign policy is alive and well: britain sitting on the fence and watching what happens on the continent, trying to prevent european consolidation and keeping the continental nations down and at odds with each other at any cost and by any means, playing one against the other, siding with the weaker against the stronger out of principle, dominate or destroy…didn’t really work out to anyone’s benefit back then and europe imploded…so what’s next?…methinks the whole eu needs to be rethought from scratch and maybe rolled back to something like an extended free trade zone with some freedom of movement or so…

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement