Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

smjm wrote: »
    You really are quite a nasty person you know! :)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Godwin's Law strikes again.

I could have invoked the ANC elections in South Africa (since 2008) but it just doesn't have the same impact. There you have people protesting, looting, burning their townships down due to service delivery protests. This is in protest for the party they voted for. The next election, "they promised this time it would be different."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

corny wrote: »
    The EU is basically Germany in this matter. Their interests are harmed by a trade with Britain. There will be no appetite for that. Both sides will make concessions and hammer out a deal. Britain will move forward largely unscathed economically. I'll repeat..this is a political issue. The stories of economic woe are unfounded and wildly exaggerated. Short term market volatility has little bearing and proves nothing.

So none of the success of the city and other aspects of the services industry in the UK is because of or strengthened by it being in the EU? Were there voices in those business communities supporting the UK leaving the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I wonder will this lead to further austerity in the UK. With the pressure on the currency the markets could force them to sort out their debts.
    Something the Remain campaign failed on.

I'm glad they have voted Out. Too many people are struggling in the UK. Who can afford to buy a house in the London area. The areas that are struggling most in the UK voted Leave. Immigration driving down wages and conditions and changing the fabric of their country.

Serious questions for the Labour party. They seem to be completely out of touch with their voter base.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So have most of us got no sleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Lads, we witnessed history. For better or worse we saw it unfold with our own eyes - and I don't mind saying that I feel a little humbled by that.

Time for bed.;)

corny wrote: »
    The EU is basically Germany in this matter. Their interests are harmed by a trade with Britain. There will be no appetite for that. Both sides will make concessions and hammer out a deal. Britain will move forward largely unscathed economically. I'll repeat..this is a political issue. The stories of economic woe are unfounded and wildly exaggerated. Short term market volatility has little bearing and proves nothing.

There will be politics now as well from within the EU. If Mrs Merkel and Mr Holland feel that the EU project is under threat if the UK is seen to get a sweet deal for leaving, you can bet they will go hard on the UK. We keep hearing the EU is fragile and on the verge of breaking up, they will not want to encourage The Netherlands or the nationalists in France by being weak with the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Farage: it was a mistake for Vote Leave to say it could save £350m/week by leaving the EU and give the £ to the NHS

Didn't take them long...

Lads, we witnessed history. For better or worse we saw it unfold with our own eyes - and I don't mind saying that I feel a little humbled by that.

Time for bed.;)

Eh...it's not exactly as noble or uplifting as the Berlin Wall falling but I suppose you're right.

I wonder will this lead to further austerity in the UK. With the pressure on the currency the markets could force them to sort out their debts.
    Something the Remain campaign failed on.

I'm glad they have voted Out. Too many people are struggling in the UK. Who can afford to buy a house in the London area. The areas that are struggling most in the UK voted Leave. Immigration driving down wages and conditions and changing the fabric of their country.

Serious questions for the Labour party. They seem to be completely out of touch with their voter base.

CNBC say London property is even cheaper now for foreign investors with the fall in value of Sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

RobertKK wrote: »

None

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I'm in shock. I really didn't think it would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The young wanted to remain, the educated wanted to remain and the big cities, London, Manchester and Liverpool along with Scotland wanted to remain. The worst English stereotype has prevailed here, the knuckle dragging, uneducated, xenophobic UKIP voting little englander

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

The irony here is that although the UK voted to leave,both NI and Scotland voted to stay.

So will we see a break up of the UK,or the EU,or both?

It would be interesting to see the result of a similar vote in all other EU states,particularly Ireland.

mansize wrote: »
    Farage: it was a mistake for Vote Leave to say it could save £350m/week by leaving the EU and give the £ to the NHS

Didn't take them long...

I doubt anybody/services that really needs the money will see part of that £350m/week.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Not a wink. Work tomorrow(today:() will be painful!

CNBC say London property is even cheaper now for foreign investors with the fall in value of Sterling.

In the short term maybe. But in the long term it may be reduce them. Watching the City boys cry about the result can only be good for the ordinary working person. If their currency weakens it will strengthen their manufacturing base.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yeah, forget it now. Going to make some tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Enzokk wrote: »
    There will be politics now as well from within the EU. If Mrs Merkel and Mr Holland feel that the EU project is under threat if the UK is seen to get a sweet deal for leaving, you can bet they will go hard on the UK. We keep hearing the EU is fragile and on the verge of breaking up, they will not want to encourage The Netherlands or the nationalists in France by being weak with the UK.

They can easily play it off as typical Brits. Sure they were always more trouble their worth. They don't have to resort to outright trade war to convince the masses. Anyway, engaging with electorate isn't the done thing in the European Union.

Watching the City boys cry about the result can only be good for the ordinary working person.

The city subsidizes the "ordinary working person(s)" through the wealth it generates so any gloating of that nature will be purely cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I just woke up.

HOLY SH1T!!!!

Eh...it's not exactly as noble or uplifting as the Berlin Wall falling but I suppose you're right.

Did you ever spare a thought for that bloke who turned up for guard duty the next day only to find he was unemployed?:p

Did you ever spare a thought for that bloke who turned up for guard duty the next day only to find he was unemployed?:p

Poor old Gunther!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The city subsidizes the "ordinary working person(s)" through the wealth it generates so any gloating of that nature will be purely cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

You've been great fun so far on this thread but I think that's your best so far. The City enriching the common folk. Priceless.

Akrasia wrote: »
    I just woke up.

HOLY SH1T!!!!

David Cameron's probably saying the same thing right about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The lunatics are running the asylum with this vote :(

The lunatics are running the asylum with this vote :(

With the backing of over half the country.

Scary stuff.

Ireland will now be the largest English speaking nation in the EU.

Wealth it generates? Not for ordinary working folk. Most of them are pissed because they had hedged their bets on a Remain result.

We were probably heading for a European super state.

Be interesting to see what happens to Germany and its bonds. Will they no longer be seen as a safe haven. Still huge debt all around Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The young wanted to remain, the educated wanted to remain and the big cities, London, Manchester and Liverpool along with Scotland wanted to remain. The worst English stereotype has prevailed here, the knuckle dragging, uneducated, xenophobic UKIP voting little englander

Your joking

Right?

The vote was close enough,and tbe logical educated conclusion,is that there are many rational arguements,for leaving or dramatically changing the EU beaurocratic monster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement