Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I cant get past the irony of all the foreign people involved in the leave campaign. Little Asians and Indians running around with union jack flags and the Gisela Stewart - the head of the campaign - a German.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I don't think there's as large of a majority here in the south as you might think. It's funny how things can change though. Only yesterday I'd have been firmly in the camp of not wanting the problems of taking the north back. But now, in the context of unity and being part of something larger like a United Ireland and the European Union, I'd vote in favour of reuniting the country. If only because I believe in the European project and we're all better off in it. I wonder how many others would too.

The allure of the ideal influences too many people in this country. The practical reality is what we get hyped and we give is ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Fantastic result!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm reminded of the old adage
    It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and prove it

Well, the British public have spoken

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lol Britain commits hari-kari!

Ffs I hate living in interesting times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

corny wrote: »
    You've been great fun so far on this thread but I think that's your best so far. The City enriching the common folk. Priceless.

Sounds like you and Paul Murphy would have a lot in common.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am in total shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Akrasia wrote: »
    I'm reminded of the old adage
    It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and prove it

Well, the British public have spoken

Salty..

keep-calm-and-stop-being-a-sore-loser-4.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I wonder did the predictions of a Remain victory yesterday affect the result. I'd imagine the Leave voters would have made more effort to go out and vote with that news. This is why the media blackout we have in Ireland before a vote is a good thing.

Farage calls for a new Government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

Fantastic result!

yeah, i was expecting fear would get the better of a narrow majority in the end…impressive result…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I'd say the NI contractors who work on roads, building schools. etc here will be sweating this morning.

Farage calls for a new Government

Yeah cause that's just what Britain and Sterling needs now, more uncertainty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

gladrags wrote: »
    Your joking

Right?

The vote was close enough,and tbe logical educated conclusion,is that there are many rational arguements,for leaving or dramatically changing the EU beaurocratic monster.

The middle classes wanted in, the working class wanted out. The young wanted in, the old wanted out. The educated wanted in, the uneducated out. The wealth generating cities wanted in, those that are a drain on the system wanted out.

This is economic suicide.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I cant get past the irony of all the foreign people involved in the leave campaign. Little Asians and Indians running around with union jack flags and the Gisela Stewart - the head of the campaign - a German.

Parasites. They've benefited from migration and they're happy to throw the next generation to the wolves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Corbyn calling for Article 50 to be invoked immediately. He could at least feign disappointment with the result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Corbyn calling for Article 50 to be invoked immediately. He could at least feign disappointment with the result?

Corbyn is part of the reason Brexit happened. Useless leader.

Wasn't impressed with him after his first few days as leader and less so since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The middle classes wanted in, the working class wanted out. The young wanted in, the old wanted out. The educated wanted in, the uneducated out. The wealth generating cities wanted in, those that are a drain on the system wanted out.

This is economic suicide.

Of course the working class wanted out.
    Zero hour contracts and another deluge of workers from Turkey waiting to come in and compete further for their jobs. More muslims coming in and changing the fabric of their communities. Work 40/50 years and buy a nice house and gradually watch all your neighbourhoods change radically.

How on earth is Zero Hours contracts an EU thing?!

If anything, the EU's constant push towards better workers rights is antithetical to what the UK governments have worked towards!

Without the EU, workers rights in the UK would almost certainly be in a worse place!

• Advertisement

How on earth is Zero Hours contracts an EU thing?!

If anything, the EU's constant push towards better workers rights is antithetical to what the UK governments have worked towards!

Without the EU, workers rights in the UK would almost certainly be in a worse place!

It is an EU neo-liberal push. The John Bruton types have brought it about. Mr Sutherland and his type who have pushed this agenda.

You can't deny that thousands of muslim Turks would have arrived. More and more low paid workers pushing down wages and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Wasn't impressed with him after his first few days as leader and less so since.

Definitely one from the Tony Benn school of political thinking.

Zero hour contracts and another deluge of workers from Turkey waiting to come in and compete further for their jobs. More muslims coming in and changing the fabric of their communities. Work 40/50 years and buy a nice house and gradually watch all your neighbourhoods change radically.

I can argue with people who are dumb, and I can argue with people who are racist. But I haven't the patience to argue with people who are both

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I work in the north and live in Donegal so can sum things up by saying I'm concerned. This is a win for fear and scaremongering (whatever Leave dubbed the opposition) over reason. It won't be the apocalypse, but they'll regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I work in the north and live in Donegal so can sum things up by saying I'm concerned. This is a win for fear and scaremongering (whatever Leave dubbed the opposition) over reason. It won't be the apocalypse, but they'll regret it.

What is your opinion on a NI referendum? Would you want one? How would you envisage it going?

It is an EU neo-liberal push. The John Bruton types have brought it about. Mr Sutherland and his type who have pushed this agenda.
    Can you point to any EU legislation around Zero Hours contracts? Especially relevant would be anything which would suggest that the EU suggests it to parliaments to pass and actively encourage Zero Hours contracts.
    You can't deny that thousands of muslim Turks would have arrived. More and more low paid workers pushing down wages and conditions.
    I haven't denied anything. I asked you a question about how on earth the Zero Hours contracts 'issue' has anything to do with the EU?

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I can argue with people who are dumb, and I can argue with people who are racist. But I haven't the patience to argue with people who are both

Ah I was waiting for it.
    So I am a racist and dumb now Ted.

Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Stupid question very stupid question, with Sterling at all time low this should be good if you live down in here and shop in Newry yeah?

From what I can see it is UK based companies that seem to use zero hour contracts the most.

Neighbourhoods have been changing since the end if the second world war in England so the EU isn't to blame for that either?

• Advertisement

Chong wrote: »
    Stupid question very stupid question, with Sterling at all time low this should be good if you live down in here and shop in Newry yeah?

yes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement