Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Chong wrote: »
    Stupid question very stupid question, with Sterling at all time low this should be good if you live down in here and shop in Newry yeah?

Yep. It's currently sitting at around 81p for every Euro, yesterday morning it was at 76p.

It's also good news for anybody who's importing cars from the UK.

Funny to think that 7 or 8 months ago it was around 69p per Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What is your opinion on a NI referendum? Would you want one? How would you envisage it going?

I can see why SF are looking for one now, hoping this will galvanise nationalists and take a few unionists with it too, but I think it would still fail. People will be apprehensive now but the thought of leaving the UK will make them even more apprehensive.

I'll just have to see how it pans out. Any border controls that add over 30 mins to my commute will make things difficult, and if sterling stays in the pits I might have to look for a job in the south. Overall, I feel Donegal will suffer a bit, unless this forces some multinationals to move to Ireland from the UK, and even then...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Yep. It's currently sitting at around 81p for every Euro, yesterday morning it was at 76p.

It's also good news for anybody who's importing cars from the UK.

Funny to think that 7 or 8 months ago it was around 69p per Euro.

I had a feeling but was not sure, pop to Sainsburys the weekend.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Stupid question very stupid question, with Sterling at all time low this should be good if you live down in here and shop in Newry yeah?

Not really. 6 or 7 years ago it topped out at 97p for the euro. 81 is good but you won't make a killing.

BTW 6 or 7 years sterling being so weak was seen as a good thing for them (cheap exports). Amazing how the narrative has been changed by the doomsday merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I just spent £600 yesterday in Belfast..... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Gibraltar is fučked :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

whatever_ wrote: »
    Here are my "reasons why Ireland will benefit from Brexit"

1. As the only English speaking country in the EU and as Britain's closest ally (in Europe) Ireland will enjoy significantly more leverage in Brussels.

Dermot Ahern reckons the opposite, we'll become more isolated as the UK and Ireland share a lot of commonalities, with the UK not sitting beside us, that's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Gibraltar is fučked :pac:

The Spanish Armada are readying....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I had a feeling but was not sure, pop to Sainsburys the weekend.:pac:

Pros and cons to this though is that if sterling becomes cheaper to buy like back in the old days, boarder towns such as Dundalk etc will see a decline in trade where as Newry or Banbridge will see rises in consumer spending.

However it will eventually or even from today be more expensive for the UK to import from us and the rest of Europe and it will be harder for us to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Dermot Ahern reckons the opposite, we'll become more isolated as the UK and Ireland share a lot of commonalities, with the UK not sitting beside us, that's gone.

I think there was a recent count that showed that the Ireland actually sided with Germany more then the UK on issues in the EU. I think it was a fullfact breakdown or something that showed which countries sided with the UK most on EU issues. Laughably I think it was countries like Poland and Romania which sided with the UK most on issues.

With the current irish government its no surprise that ireland has sided with germany more then the UK as both countries ruling parties are members of EPP so share a lot of the same policies.

• Advertisement

The Spanish Armada are readying....

Theyre a weird bunch there though. They will fight to the death!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

Great day for democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

BBC rumouring a snap Cameron resignation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I can argue with people who are dumb, and I can argue with people who are racist. But I haven't the patience to argue with people who are both

His post was neither.

When you can't argue the point you shout dumb racist take you ball and run away!

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    Great day for democracy.

Shag off Nige

mansize wrote: »

He couldnt, the country would implode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Great day for democracy.

Yip certainly is.

I don't agree with the outcome but it has to be respected.

A lot of the feelings of discontent in the UK are mirrored in Ireland I do believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Certainly a victory for scaremongering.
    Last Sunday I was talking to a man who comes to Cavan every weekend and trades from a Fast Food van at the Sunday market here.
    He was adamant that he would vote Leave because "The head of the Armed Forces in Britain had urged everyone to vote Brexit, because Brussels is going to introduce legislation to form a European Army on Monday next"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Yip certainly is.

I don't agree with the outcome but it has to be respected.

A lot of the feelings of discontent in the UK are mirrored in Ireland I do believe.

Yeah but no way are stupid enough to vote out. The US FDI would disappear in a blink of an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

mansize wrote: »

Talking now like he's about to announce just that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Patser

Camerons going.

Gone.

3 months

Just tuned in he's saying new PM by October

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Cameron standing down! Looks like it could be worse for Britain, PM Boris?

Oh, interesting. Not triggering Article 50. Will be up to new PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Oh, interesting. Not triggering Article 50. Will be up to new PM.

Yep let them clean their own mess up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭CFlat

Great day for democracy.

I believe in democracy but I don't believe in xenophobia, 'Mr. Farage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭CFlat

sjb25 wrote: »
    Talking now like he's about to announce just that

Standing down in a few months after a new leader is appointed. wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

His post was neither.

When you can't argue the point you shout dumb racist take you ball and run away!

So what do you call specifically identifying Muslems as the root of social issues?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I'm no fan of his but he is dead right to do this. Let those who wanted it deal with it. Idiots!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement