Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

This is the ground work before the calls for a re-run start.

By Sunday we'll start to see that.
    Much much sooner :D
    A petition calling for a second EU referendum in the UK is nearing 110,000 signatures.

Citing European rules on referendums, it reads:

We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum."
    The government's petitions website crashed due to the level of demand earlier today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

He has to go, I am amazed he hasn't walked already.

He's a visionary and exactly what the UK needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I'm starting to think that their political 'leaders' didn't expect to win either.
    Farage conceded before a box was opened. Boris and the rebel MP's signed a letter asking Cameron to stay on. No one saw this coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Will my driving licence and insurance cover me to drive the eight miles to Fermanagh now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    He's a visionary and exactly what the UK needs.

By visionary do you mean a liar?

He's nothing but a shyster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Will my driving licence and insurance cover me to drive the right miles to Fermanagh now?

Interesting question. Will my EU drivers licence no longer be valid in the EU.

Farage conceded before a box was opened. Boris and the rebel MP's signed a letter asking Cameron to stay on. No one saw this coming.
    Unfortunately it's a result of successive governments using the EU as a scapegoat for all ills. "It was the EU wot dunnit". :D

But seriously, the trend has often been for EU votes to be more a reflection of domestic dissatisfaction with the government of the day rather than the actual issues in question. You can only cry wolf so many times. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Will my driving licence and insurance cover me to drive the right miles to Fermanagh now?

Interesting question. Will my EU drivers licence no longer be valid in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Jezza will ride it out.

There have been more plots against him than he has hammer&sickle vests!

If no confidence was voted by the PLP, the membership would overwhelmingly back him anyway.

Will they? I'm not sure if he can survive this. He's a massive weak link for labour and his campaign isolated Labour's youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I see things in the UK like

https://twitter.com/livechonews/status/746305143822491648

I suspect Tony Blair is relieved his children have their Irish passports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RobertKK wrote: »
    I see things in the UK like

https://twitter.com/livechonews/status/746305143822491648

I suspect Tony Blair is relieved his children have their Irish passports.

The gubberment needs to exploit this angle to the fullest degree - there will be a lot of wealth creators who voted stay with Irish passports or who are eligible for same, they need to be tempted over with a package.

Europe needs a Charles de Gaulle type figure, Merkel needs to be like Helmut Kohl.
    Strong leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Much much sooner :D

They get the idea..... as the former Belgian PM Jean-Luc Dehaene said:

a_Untitled.png

#rerun will be everywhere by next week.

The gubberment needs to exploit this angle to the fullest degree - there will be a lot of wealth creators who voted stay with Irish passports or who are eligible for same, they need to be tempted over with a package.
    Despite the silence on the issue, I suspect that there has been a considerable behind the scenes effort to exploit all and every opportunity that a leave vote would provide.

Looking at the sectors that are most dismayed by this result is highly instructive from our point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Just dust off the arrangement that CJ had back in the eighties, which worked wonderfully

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Albert Reynolds had a great racket going with passports, I'm sure the scheme could be revived...

Maybe the EU will be happy to be rid of the UK as it would hold back further integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    If you see The_Kew_Tour, Could you pass on the Menu

And ask him would he like a side order with his meal.

You can pick, but if I'm having side order got come with ketchup and mayo mixed

Maybe the EU will be happy to be rid of the UK as it would hold back further integration.

Maybe...

But there are still those few fools opposed to the one-continent government in the other 27 states

We would only get a re-run if a Remain campaigner was voted Conservative leader. That is about as likely as me ordering the salad at dinner.

• Advertisement

Further integration is definitely off the cards now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭joeysoap

At least it means Ireland's tax rate should be safe now, if the EU tries to force a change all we have to do is threaten a referendum and if it push comes to shove actually have one

We would only get a re-run if a Remain campaigner was voted Conservative leader. That is about as likely as me ordering the salad at dinner.

Indeed....Neither Osbourne or his transsexual dopledanger Nicky Morgan stand much of a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I was just wondering (and I'm sure someone will correct my ignorance soon enough!), could UK join the Single Market and adopt Schengen?

We would have to be Shengen too.

Free movement of goods and services, no border checks. No EU membership, just like Switzerland.

Nah, that's too easy.

Another referendum suits nobody. All it would do is continue the uncertainty indefinitely.

Juncker is right. The UK giovernment need to invoke article 50 as soon as possible and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

glued wrote: »
    Will they? I'm not sure if he can survive this. He's a massive weak link for labour and his campaign isolated Labour's youth.

Significant dissonance exists between the people and their representatives in the UK parliament.
    Corbyn was elected by strong majority of Labour party members on a clear platform (anti-NATO, anti-middle east intervention, pro-union, etc) but seems to be fundamentally at odds with most of the parliamentary party on these key issues.
    Majority of electorate wanted Brexit but a much smaller proportion of MPs (of all parties) were in favour.

It is fundamental to a democracy that the government and the political parties rule in the interest of the people or their members. Where this does not appear to be happening (as currently in the UK) a correction is inevitable.

Jeremy Corbyn, "we must face down the whole idea that xenophobia and narrowness is the way forward... It is coming together that is the way forward."
    Comments of a man who refuses to listen to his own voters. Corbyn is a dead man walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I was just wondering (and I'm sure someone will correct my ignorance soon enough!), could UK join the Single Market and adopt Schengen?

We would have to be Shengen too.

Free movement of goods and services, no border checks. No EU membership, just like Switzerland.

Nah, that's too easy.

And it costs about €140 a head for the privilege, Norway and Switzerland can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

joeysoap wrote: »
    And it costs about €140 a head for the privilege, Norway and Switzerland can afford it.

What does the €140 a head represent for these countries? I don't know.

But the UK would pay it if things start to go bellyup for them anytime soon.

In my ignorance maybe, doing this (Schengen and Single Market) would seem like a plan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Albert Reynolds had a great racket going with passports, I'm sure the scheme could be revived...

Yes, but not every English applicant wants to invest hundreds of thousands in C & D Petfoods for the privilege!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement