Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

We would only get a re-run if a Remain campaigner was voted Conservative leader. That is about as likely as me ordering the salad at dinner.

There will be no re-run. The UK isn't Ireland a nation that can be bullied into changing the democratic will of the people ala Nice and Lisbon. The UK is now going to thrive through massive trade deals with the India's, Brazil's and Chinas of this world. I fully expect Denmark, Holland and possibly France to put a referendum to it's people within the next 2-3 years on their continued membership of the united states of Germany, opps sorry Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

What does the €140 a head represent for these countries? I don't know.

But the UK would pay it if things start to go bellyup for them anytime soon.

In my ignorance maybe, doing this (Schengen and Single Market) would seem like a plan!
    That's €9 billion per annum for the UK :eek:

I was just wondering (and I'm sure someone will correct my ignorance soon enough!), could UK join the Single Market and adopt Schengen?

We would have to be Shengen too.

Free movement of goods and services, no border checks. No EU membership, just like Switzerland.

Nah, that's too easy.

UK adopt free borders after just running a referendum which specifically set out to close those borders?

no

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That's €9 billion per annum for the UK :eek:

I know, but I don't know what it pays for!

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    There will be no re-run. The UK isn't Ireland a nation that can be bullied into changing the democratic will of the people ala Nice and Lisbon. The UK is now going to thrive through massive trade deals with the India's, Brazil's and Chinas of this world. I fully expect Denmark, Holland and possibly France to put a referendum to it's people within the next 2-3 years on their continued membership of the united states of Germany, opps sorry Europe.
    The cost of trade with those countries is massive in terms of shipping costs and the higher labour costs in the UK makes them uncompetitive. I can't see how trading with those countries can add up to anything but a massive trade deficit.

I just don't see how that works to their benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I was just wondering (and I'm sure someone will correct my ignorance soon enough!), could UK join the Single Market and adopt Schengen?

Free movement of goods and services, no border checks. No EU membership, just like Switzerland.

Nah, that's too easy.

You remember those thousands of migrants the UK (rightly or wrongly) doesn't want and which are waiting in Calais and other places in France and Belgium?

The day the UK joins Schengen, French and Belgium police put those people on the Eurostar and hold big celebration for not having to defend UK borders any-more.

So no ... not a chance of joining Schengen.

UK adopt free borders after just running a referendum which specifically set out to close those borders?

no

Ah I think that line will soften over time. TBH, although I know immigration was an issue, but I doubt it was the primary one.

Just like Switzerland, UK could, within the Single Market and Schengen decide on their own immigration policies (other than EU free movement) and ignore Merkel's dictats re quotas for refugees etc.

Ah I think that line will soften over time. TBH, although I know immigration was an issue, but I doubt it was the primary one.
    It was.
    Just like Switzerland, UK could, within the Single Market and Schengen decide on their own immigration policies (other than EU free movement) and ignore Merkel's dictats re quotas for refugees etc.
    So absolutely nothing different whatsoever from what they've just said no to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Bob24 wrote: »
    You remember those thousands of migrants the UK (rightly or wrongly) doesn't want and which are waiting in Calais and other places in France and Belgium?

The day the UK joins Schengen, French and Belgium police put those people on the Eurostar and hold big celebration for not having to defend UK borders any-more.

I can't imagine France will hold them any longer.

If the Dublin Agreement on asylum was observed, there would be few of these chancers in Calais and elsewhere in the first place.

• Advertisement

EU27 are go! Scotland welcome to be 28!

It was.

So absolutely nothing different whatsoever from what they've just said no to?

Apart from not having to obey Merkel and the politburo, No MEPs, no directives subsumed into their indigenous legislation, you get the drift... it is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

Nah, that's too easy.

no
    The referendum was not about closing borders. Schengen has been suspended in several countries and is unlikely to survive the migration crisis. In the unlikely event of an independent Scotland it would join the CTA not Schengen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    You mean once China India and Brazil wipes out any manufacturing jobs, right? And unlike UK China has zero issues with state funded companies to undercut foreign markets so they will simply looooove a free trade agreement with UK but don't expect one to be done on equal terms (and good luck adding tariffs as UK alone vs China compared to EU vs China)...
    whatever_ wrote: »
    The referendum was not about closing borders. Schengen has been suspended in several countries and is unlikely to survive the migration crisis.
    Did you listen to the same debate as most of us did? Point system for people coming in. We need to stop unlimited immigration. Stop the Turks from coming here. We need to have the right to decide who will remain in our country and who'll be let in. On every single issue Boris brought up as a reason to stay out such as VAT on fuel it turned out he was lying so he went back to his good old "Scary immigrants" tactics over and over again.

If Albert was around he'd get us a few billion from the EU cos the UK quit

mansize wrote: »
    If Albert was around he'd get us a few billion from the EU cos the UK quit

From Irish passports alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was so cocky last night that they would stay. Could see it being no other way. If you take away the immigration vote they won well. England is hugely nationalist country but I thought the upper class would have plenty to spare.

Not totally shocked but thought the 50/50 people would be scared for change. I got it wrong

I can't imagine France will hold them any longer.

Well the French governemetn signed an agreement with the UK one saying the border is on the French side of the tunnel. It was probably foolish but now they have to stick with it. They'll probably try to use Brexit to but it back on the table, but I don't think they can stop it anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The gubberment needs to exploit this angle to the fullest degree - there will be a lot of wealth creators who voted stay with Irish passports or who are eligible for same, they need to be tempted over with a package.

The IDA were apparently told to cool it before the vote but they'll be circling any multinational with cold feet now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

If the Dublin Agreement on asylum was observed, there would be few of these chancers in Calais and elsewhere in the first place.

Sure, but obviously it isn't the case.

• Advertisement

Apart from not having to obey Merkel and the politburo, No MEPs, no directives subsumed into their indigenous legislation, you get the drift... it is different.

You mean, all the things that are required if you want to join the Single Market but even less of a say in the laws and regulation that they have now? Was the referendum only to make their MEPs redundant?

You can't have it both ways!

From Irish passports alone...

He got to €6 billion for Maastricht

You mean, all the things that are required if you want to join the Single Market but even less of a say in the laws and regulation that they have now?

Switzerland seems to manage fine.

K-9 wrote: »
    The IDA were apparently told to cool it before the vote but they'll be circling any multinational with cold feet now.

IBEC were talking up being European bases for companies currently in UK

Switzerland is very rich

He got to €6 billion for Maastricht

I was being tongue in cheek re the passports.

But anecdotally I hear lots of British are checking out their eligibility for an Irish Passport now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well the French governemetn signed an agreement with the UK one saying the border is on the French side of the tunnel. It was probably foolish but now they have to stick with it. They'll probably try to use Brexit to but it back on the table, but I don't think they can stop it anytime soon
    But they can roll back parts of it such as allowing UK checks on French soil and simply tell them that they have to do all their controls at a specific point instead while looking the other way when the jungle camper makes a run for it or reduce the investment in fences to stop them from getting there in the first place. As someone who's been down there (work related) there's plenty of ways France can make sure the immigrants will reach UK and being petty about it (remember with them reaching UK soil France can simply shrug and state it's a UK problem now to deal with).

We'll see hopw different when they finish negotiating their 'independence'. It could be completely different or it could be largely the same thing with a different name.

44% of British exports go to the EU. They need to protect that at least in the medium term.

whatever_ wrote: »
    The referendum was not about closing borders.
    I would encourage you to take a look at any of the referendum literature that has been posted through letterboxes here in the past weeks.

The referendum was almost wholly about stopping unfettered immigration putting pressure on public services, undercutting wages, driving up costs of living whilst changing the way of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

You mean, all the things that are required if you want to join the Single Market but even less of a say in the laws and regulation that they have now?

And Norway. And Sweden's position (outside the Euro) looks interesting too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement