Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

This is not Europe May 1945 or the Balkans 1995. There are far bigger problems in the world- let's keep it in context

Of course not, but this has huge implications. Will Scotland leave? Will Ireland harvest a huge reward within the EU? Will the North look enviously across a border from within an economically strangled state? Could the actions of what amounts to British Nationalism ultimately be responsible for the literal destruction of the UK as a political entity in the most spectacular irony of all time?

I really can't believe the Leave vote won out, I'm in a state of disbelief almost, hell, even the news casters look shellshocked. The 'Leave' Leaders look like they are rabbits caught in the headlights ffs!

There are some interesting times ahead, this is going to be a car crash I just can't look away from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

whatever_ wrote: »
    The real failure here is the failure of Labour to engage with its traditional voters on the issue of immigration. This is a failure that goes back decades. It is an issue that Labour has found easier to ignore. If Labour had addressed this core issue then it is unlikely that this referendum would have been won.
    Labour are in an invidious position though. Immigrants are as much part of their constituency as anyone else.

The one failure I did see in relation to the immigration issue was the inability to highlight the fact that net immigration from the EU was negligible.

The question still has to be posed though, as to why individual voters do not equip themselves with freely available facts instead of listening and reacting to propaganda.
    How do you know they didn't? We've all heard anecdotes about voter ignorance.

I doubt your average selfie-taking Remain voter understands the principle of subsidiarity. I doubt the old lady in sheltered housing understands the irrelevance of the European Convention. We've all heard the anecdotes about lack of voter knowledge.

But ultimately, you've got to accept that people voted whatever way for legitimate reasons. And despite popular liberal opinion, migration is a legitimate concern. Resource allocation is a legitimate concern. The democratic nature of the EU (or otherwise) is a legitimate concern.

Remain had plenty of legitimate concerns too, many of which I share.

But sooner or later you've got to stop implying that those who disagree with you are idiots. At least for the sake of trying to win a referendum.

How do you know they didn't? We've all heard anecdotes about voter ignorance.
    Because so much of the propaganda was false. On bioth sides, yet it was parrotted by newspapers and other media as fact.

It's hard to ignore tweets from the likes of Elizabeth Hurley that Brexit would mean being able to use incandescent lightbulbs again. :rolleyes:

It's hard to ignore tweets from the likes of Elizabeth Hurley that Brexit would mean being able to use incandescent lightbulbs again. :rolleyes:
    Oh come now.

How many people do you think voted in accordance with Liz Hurley's lightbulb tweet vs concerns about the allocation of public resources?

People are not as stupid as it may be comforting to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

karma_ wrote: »
    This is not Europe May 1945 or the Balkans 1995. There are far bigger problems in the world- let's keep it in context

Of course not, but this has huge implications. Will Scotland leave? Will Ireland harvest a huge reward within the EU? Will the North look enviously across a border from within an economically strangled state? Could the actions of what amounts to British Nationalism ultimately be responsible for the literal destruction of the UK as a political entity in the most spectacular irony of all time?

I really can't believe the Leave vote won out, I'm in a state of disbelief almost, hell, even the news casters look shellshocked. The 'Leave' Leaders look like they are rabbits caught in the headlights ffs!

There are some interesting times ahead, this is going to be a car crash I just can't look away from.
    Though not directly relevant to your points, I was talking about 1989 and 2009, not 1945 or 1995.
    And they are completely in context - the reunification of Germany, the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Financial Crisis were far bigger issues than this. Again, this "car crash" rhetoric is ridiculous. We're going to extract ourselves from a political superstructure. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

K-9 wrote: »
    Indeed it does, I'm not sure how Brexit will bring back well paid employment though. It isn't as if the Tories or indeed Labour are going to be anti globalist, freed trade, low paid jobs etc.

I don't think Brexit is the answer, just that it highlights a disenfranchised group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Because so much of the propaganda was false. On bioth sides, yet it was parrotted by newspapers and other media as fact.

Or powerful vacuums

Oh come now.

How many people do you think voted in accordance with Liz Hurley's lightbulb tweet vs concerns about the allocation of public resources?

Of course not. But people voted for the most tenuous reasons.

The lack of economic development outside the south-east is the major issue in the UK. But to allow that failure to be laid at the feet of EU immigration without any meaningful discussion and the wholesale swallowing of that lie is just unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

My opinion is that the British deserve everything that's coming to them. They want special treatment all the time. They should have been asked to leave the EU after they wouldn't participate in the euro currency, or sign up to Schengen. Now they can go off with the huffy jingoistic opinions, and try and survive out there without the EU's back up. Sterling won't be worth toilet paper in a few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Though not directly relevant to your points, I was talking about 1989 and 2009, not 1945 or 1995.
    And they are completely in context - the reunification of Germany, the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Financial Crisis were far bigger issues than this. Again, this "car crash" rhetoric is ridiculous. We're going to extract ourselves from a political superstructure. That is all.
    It's a bit more than a political superstructure. Comparisons are being made with Norway and Switzerland without accepting the economic realities of those two countries and the fact that they can afford to be semi-detached from Europe.

Perhaps the UK can too, but since 44% of UK exports go to the EU, there's a dependency that can't be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Crystal balls, crystal balls everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

Ally Dick wrote: »
    My opinion is that the British deserve everything that's coming to them. They want special treatment all the time. They should have been asked to leave the EU after they wouldn't participate in the euro currency, or sign up to Schengen. Now they can go off with the huffy jingoistic opinions, and try and survive out there without the EU's back up. Sterling won't be worth toilet paper in a few months
    Lol ! Are you trying to say "Sterling WILL be worth toilet paper in a couple of months" ? Who's got huffy, jingoistic opinions !

Liamalone wrote: »
    Crystal balls, crystal balls everywhere!
    :)

New ground being broken and we're not standing on it. Hurlers on the ditch abound. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It's a bit more than a political superstructure. Comparisons are being made with Norway and Switzerland without accepting the economic realities of those two countries and the fact that they can afford to be semi-detached from Europe.

Perhaps the UK can too, but since 44% of UK exports go to the EU, there's a dependency that can't be ignored.

Well if Sterling does tank, then I'm sure they can find plenty of buyers for their exports, it won't be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Ally Dick wrote: »

Eh the euro currency is a disaster which has threatened to pull the whole continent into a black hole of debt and Schengen is dead with millions of illegals walking the roads of Europe with the go ahead from Merkel.

Hardy great examples.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

46% believed the brexit claims of the 350 million GBP a week to NHS was true; 38% knew it was false and the rest did not know. And this was after it was trumpeted out by newspapers it was incorrect math not taking into account how much money UK got paid back or the discount on the UK bill for months.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Well if Sterling does tank, then I'm sure they can find plenty of buyers for their exports, it won't be hard.
    I don't think it will tank. Much. ;)

The danger is inflation and increasing interest rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No one waste their time clicking that, ill informed claptrap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

The question still has to be posed though, as to why individual voters do not equip themselves with freely available facts instead of listening and reacting to propaganda.

To slightly misquote Neil Degrasse Tyson

It is essentially a failure of the educators and the education systems that generations of people have arrived at adulthood unable to make a logical and rational choice.

The lack of economic development outside the south-east is the major issue in the UK. But to allow that failure to be laid at the feet of EU immigration without any meaningful discussion and the wholesale swallowing of that lie is just unbelievable.
    I'm not getting into the pit of making UKIP's arguments for them, but increasing the labour supply will typically restrain or diminish wages; it will increase the difficulty in finding work, and it will push up demands on public and private resources, such as housing, access to healthcare, etc.

The UK has the second-highest inward migration in the EU (gross & also net inward migration). Ireland has nothing like that experience, so it's easy to see why Ireland doesn't share the same concerns. It doesn't struggle with resource allocation in the same way. Most countries do not.

The only country with higher inward migration is Germany, and Germany needs a labour force in a way that the UK does not.

Now I sound like I am anti-immigrant; I'm not, and I can think of plenty of arguments of principle to counteract what I have just written. But not fact. I can't deny those facts.

My point, simply, is that the above are legitimate positions to take. They are valid, factual arguments, even if we don't subscribe to them on principle.

Nody wrote: »
    46% believed the brexit claims of the 350 million GBP a week to NHS was true; 38% knew it was false and the rest did not know. And this was after it was trumpeted out by newspapers it was incorrect math not taking into account how much money UK got paid back or the discount on the UK bill for months.
    The human mind struggles even to comprehend the magnitude of 1 million.

Whether it's £350 million per week or £120 million per week, it just isn't acceptable to these people. I can see their point. I don't share it, but it's legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Samsung considering moving their UK HQ

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160624000887

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

To slightly misquote Neil Degrasse Tyson

It is essentially a failure of the educators and the education systems that generations of people have arrived at adulthood unable to make a logical and rational choice.

Ahh Neil Degrasse Tyson, the failed astrophysicist who made a career in pop science. Truly he is a reputable source for political wisdom.

Studies show that intelligence is greatly impacted by ones upbringing within the home, so to lump all the blame on education systems is a cop out.

Plenty of people have gone to terrible schools in impoverished areas and still gone on to get university educated and succeed in life, and plenty of people have gone to fee paying schools and are still as thick as a plank.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 spintheglobe

Well in 2 Years we all know more but it is not great news for the future of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I think we are in agreement but using different analogies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Here's an interesting fact; UK can not start negotiating any new trade deals until they have successfully left EU because until that point they are bound by EU law and regulation which does not allow individual countries to negotiate on their own. This means all the vaunted ideas can only really start once they are out of EU which will leave a big gap for deals not to exist (trade deals are not done in a day after all).

I'm not getting into the pit of making UKIP's arguments for them, but increasing the labour supply will typically restrain or diminish wages; it will increase the difficulty in finding work, and it will push up demands on public and private resources, such as housing, access to healthcare, etc.

The UK has the second-highest inward migration in the EU (gross & also net inward migration). Ireland has nothing like that experience, so it's easy to see why Ireland doesn't share the same concerns. It doesn't struggle with resource allocation in the same way. Most countries do not.

The only country with higher inward migration is Germany, and Germany needs a labour force in a way that the UK does not.

Now I sound like I am anti-immigrant; I'm not, and I can think of plenty of arguments of principle to counteract what I have just written. But not fact. I can't deny those facts.

My point, simply, is that the above are legitimate positions to take. They are valid, factual arguments, even if we don't subscribe to them on principle.
    Really? Got a link?

Never mind, here's one that says in 2015 the UK's foreign-born population made up 11.3% of the total, while in Ireland it was 15.9%.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_immigrant_population

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Here's an interesting fact; UK can not start negotiating any new trade deals until they have successfully left EU
    Is Jean Claude going to stop a British diplomat in Brasilia or New Dehli from inviting a Minister to dinner?

Of course these people are talking already. Diplomats never stop talking. the CJEU is not going to stop them. That's a ridiculous notion, in fairness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement