Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

So how long before Britain realise that far from being a U.S., Russia or China, they're just seen as an irrelevance on the world stage?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

whatever_ wrote: »
    You can dispense with all this doomsday nonsense - that was just referendum rhetoric. Europe has coped with far greater changes in recent years - the Iron Curtain, the Eurozone crisis. This is about our Independence and we achieved it with no bloodshed and by allowing as many people as possible the right to vote. Your attitude of describing people with a different point of view as "village idiots" says more about you than them.

Except for Jo Cox.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Except for Jo Cox.
    I cringed when I saw Farage saying that victory was acheived "without a shot being fired".

I know he didn't mean it that way, but his mouth is big enough for both feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I cringed when I saw Farage saying that victory was acheived "without a shot being fired".

I know he didn't mean it that way, but his mouth is big enough for both feet.

He dis that for a reaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

Hilarious to hear the reaction by the RTE luverlies, Michael O'Leary and the rest of the establishment. They only like democracy when it suits them. Already the leave side are only the uneducated, elderly, welfare scrongers etc... according to these headcases.

Today is a glorious day not only for the UK but for democracy on the whole which has taken a beating under EU rule the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Except for Jo Cox.

:rolleyes: What a hysterical statement.

Mr. Farage wrote: »
    Hilarious to hear the reaction by the RTE luverlies, Michael O'Leary and the rest of the establishment. They only like democracy when it suits them. Already the leave side are only the uneducated, elderly, welfare scrongers etc... according to these headcases.

Today is a glorious day not only for the UK but for democracy on the whole which has taken a beating under EU rule the last few years.
    Rhetoric Vs reality. We'll see how that works out.

onlyme! wrote: »
    Where as ireland just bends over angela with her big strap-on
    Sorry, for clarity, do you mean we are 'bending over' her (i.e. straddling her), or are we 'bending her' over, even though she is wearing the strap-on?

I just want to be clear on this bending and strapping-on business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

onlyme! wrote: »
    Where as ireland just bends over angela with her big strap-on when she fells like it

I'd rather that than listen to Britain's constant "try before you buy" sh1t. The EU will be better off without them. There'll be more consensus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

April 22, 2016: Barack Obama: "Brexit would put UK 'back of the queue' for trade talks."

June 24, 2016: Barack Obama: "One thing that will not change is the special relationship that exists between our two nations."

'nuff said.

• Advertisement

April 22, 2016: Barack Obama: "Brexit would put UK 'back of the queue' for trade talks."

June 24, 2016: Barack Obama: "One thing that will not change is the special relationship that exists between our two nations."

'nuff said.
    Both statements are not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:

Okay, now the vote is over and things start to settle down, moderation of the thread will go back to the norm for the forum.

An example would be Comments about strap ons, or whatever other sexual implements one might enjoy, would be off bounds for this forum and best kept to the privacy of your bedroom.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Mr. Farage wrote: »

For democracy? I don't understand. Democracy was there being a referendum in the first place, whatever the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

'nuff said.

word yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

smjm wrote: »
    Simple solution to Brexit:

Carry on free trade of goods and services.
    All EU citizens currently working in UK can carry on doing so. (Many qualify for UK citizenship anyway.)
    Allow free movement of people between EU and UK, but not freedom to work, which would be points based.
    (UK would probably still have large net inward migration, but would feel better about having some control).
    No right to UK welfare/benefits for EU citizens, unless they work (legally) in the UK.

Yeah, I know, a bit too simple! :)
    Should add that Irish and UK citizens would still be able to live/work/claim within each other's countries, just as now! :)

3946ca8b-febb-4a32-9b83-0269124f8658.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

You know Farage isn't a serious politician because he is still attacking the EU despite leave winning. Nigel just wants to see everything burn.

laugh wrote: »
    You know Farage isn't a serious politician because he is still attacking the EU despite leave winning. Nigel just wants to see everything burn.
    Nigel has probably scored a pyrrhic victory. I mean what could UKIP be looking for independence from now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Strikes me Nigel Farage would be attacked whichever way the vote went - he was right all along, get used to it, accept democracy.

excollier wrote: »
    Strikes me Nigel Farage would be attacked whichever way the vote went - he was right all along, get used to it, accept democracy.
    He was right when he conceded last night? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

excollier wrote: »

Right to use that Nazi inspired poster was he? Right to throw in the towel before the NE England results came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I seen here and on social media that people slating Newcastle and Sunderland people, but has anyone been to either place? I doubt it cause even since 2005 when I first visited the area the amount of poverty was striking.

I can't blame them. How worse does leaving get them? Not much imo. It's only area in UK I was ever in and I been to most British Cities where saw Children beg for food during boom times

I seen here and on social media that people slating Newcastle and Sunderland people, but has anyone been to either place? I doubt it cause even since 2005 when I first visited the area the amount of poverty was striking.

I tally can't blame them. How worse does leaving get them? Not much imo. It's only area in UK I was ever in and I been to most British Cities where saw Children beg for food during boom times

I worked in Newcastle for 6 months in 2001, no different to most Scottish and Northern England citites

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

'nuff said.
    If this is the Transatlantic Trade & Investment Partnership Britain are far better off at the back of the queue. Trade deals my arse.

I worked in Newcastle for 6 months in 2001, no different to most Scottish and Northern England citites

Ya hence why they may feel isolated and wanted leave.

Ya hence why they may feel isolated and wanted leave.

Maybe, not sure what the EU had to do with their predicament. Successive UK Governments shafted them

Maybe, not sure what the EU had to do with their predicament. Successive UK Governments shafted them

I can't argue too much there, but somebody to them had take blame and in this case was EU

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I can't blame them. How worse does leaving get them? Not much imo. It's only area in UK I was ever in and I been to most British Cities where saw Children beg for food during boom times
    So now that the UK are out of the EU, the north of England is at free from the shackles of the EU and will surge forward economically?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You're biased, but what's the situation in Scotland? If an independence referendum was held next year, would an exit from the EU realistically change things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

The Irish Government has told us that this will be bad for Ireland. However, I think this is based on a short term view taken by a government that has only a couple of years left. In that time there may well be some turmoil and uncertainty and difficulties for exporters, and it will probablyl make it more difficulty for the current government to be re-elected.

Beyond that though, I expect the Common Travel Area to survive, I expect some City jobs to move here and I expect more foreign multinationals to move here.

So I understand why they are taking a short term and pessimistic view. However, my view is quite the opposite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement