Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

2016 has been the weirdest year In my lifetime

So much surprise. It feels like end of world is coming or something.

And it's going get worse when Trump or Clinton gets President.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Patser

Equally how can you start doing deals with the UK now, when they've effectively no PM, no timetable or plan in place for when the deal will commence, no idea of exactly what relationship they'll have with other trading blocs including the EU, questions about wether Scotland will still be included in said deal, no idea what industries based within the UK will still be in place.....

No wonder Boris wants time to reflect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

F*ck their time for reflection, so many of those that wanted out very vocally wanted it NOW. They voted for it, so let's give it to then NOW, or absolutely as soon as possible.

Following the leaving your job for a competitor analogy someone made earlier, you can't quit your job and then expect to be allowed work there and pick up wages for a lengthy, indefinite period of time while you figure out where your income will go after you leave, just a short two week period. So... do the bare minimum, secure whatever the EU needs, and adios! They don't give a sh*t about the rest of Europe, why should we care about their future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I was watching a bit of BBC and some Sky tonight and I must say the tone is not one bit victorious. It's more like 'how the hell did this happen?' The tone was it was the less advantaged that had scapegoated the EU for being neoconned. Even high profile leavers seemed to squirm.

Or am I just imagining this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Boskowski wrote: »
    I was watching a bit of BBC and some Sky tonight and I must say the tone is not one bit victorious. It's more like 'how the hell did this happen?' The tone was it was the less advantaged that had scapegoated the EU for being neoconned. Even high profile leavers seemed to squirm.

Been getting this vibe since the Boris press conference this morning, I suspect it's the realisation setting in that they have fecked up on a gargantuan scale.

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »

No. The reality had hit them now that the adrenaline has drained, and they've realised they might have made one of the biggest errors in their nations long, long, history.

Oh well, too late.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Billy86 wrote: »
    F*ck their time for reflection, so many of those that wanted out very vocally wanted it NOW. They voted for it, so let's give it to then NOW, or absolutely as soon as possible.

Following the leaving your job for a competitor analogy someone made earlier, you can't quit your job and then expect to be allowed work there and pick up wages for a lengthy, indefinite period of time while you figure out where your income will go after you leave, just a short two week period. So... do the bare minimum, secure whatever the EU needs, and adios! They don't give a sh*t about the rest of Europe, why should we care about their future?

Maybe out of respect for the 49 per cent who wanted to remain? We should as Europeans be very sympathetic towards those who now find themselves no longer citizens of the European Union against their will, I would hate to be them to be them, I value that so so much.

Mec27 wrote: »

Maybe out of respect for the 49 per cent who wanted to remain? We should as Europeans be very sympathetic towards those who now find themselves no longer citizens of the European Union, I would hate to be them, I value that so so much.
    It's a good point, but the UK doesn't seem that interested in them, so why should we be? Let them deal with their own problems themselves. The EU isn't a charity.

I am speaking a little tongue in cheek of course, just applying the mindset of those who voted no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Im starting to think this reflection time is to allow the people who supported leaving to realize they've potentially screwed up. If they pull they trigger now they know theres no going back. Parliament actually have to follow through on the result. If things go rapidly downhill and panic sets in they may be able to justify disregarding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

karma_ wrote: »
    Been getting this vibe since the Boris press conference this morning, I suspect it's the realisation setting in that they have fecked up on a gargantuan scale.

It's quite possible the whole referendum was just a political tool for some, nobody actually really expected this to happen, it was meant as theatre, a statement maybe, and now its gone all horribly wrong. I'm thinking what Boris thought to be the kickstart to the big time for him could actually be his end.

... I've been watching too much House of Cards, obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

From the interviews I've seen on the news it seems to be the older voters who were in favour of leaving, a lot of the younger generation in their 20s see it as a disaster for them.

My cousins are applying for Irish passports next week.

Im starting to think this reflection time is to allow the people who supported leaving to realize they've potentially screwed up. If they pull they trigger now they know theres no going back. Parliament actually have to follow through on the result. If things go rapidly downhill and panic sets in they may be able to justify disregarding it.
    If they don't leave the EU now, it will keep the best thing to ever happen to everyone right of Cameron. Basically, they are now screwed no matter what.

From the interviews I've seen on the news it seems to be the older voters who were in favour of leaving, a lot of the younger generation in their 20s see it as a disaster for them.

Not far off half the English people of know here (canada) are beginning their permanent residency process over the weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I don't get this clamour for Irish passports? I was thinking about all the British European Union workers in Brussels and I can see why they would want to get passports because as far as I know you must be a citizen of the EU to work in the union, but how likely are most of these people to live outside the UK or the anglosphere in their life? Life is going to go on, and if you are able to get Irish citizenship or some other EU citizenship, just wait until you need to live and work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Not a bad first day of freedom:

Eh.. The UK is still part of the EU and will be for two years at least..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

I was reading that there had been a massive increase in online searches on how to get an Irish passport so fits in with your cousins move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Excellent article - 'Triumph of the Tabloids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Eh.. The UK is still part of the EU and will be for two years at least..

I don't think that's right. The two years is a deadline in which to reach agreement. A deal can be done long before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

corny wrote: »
    I don't think that's right. The two years is a deadline in which to reach agreement. A deal can be done long before that.

Could be.... but unlikely.
    There is just so much to disentangle that those 2 years will be likely to be used in full.
    It took Greenland 7 years to leave after all.

Sky News are giving a good example of how 1 word changes a story.

Their by-line is stating that 'Moodys have cut the UK credit rating to negative'.

Which of course they didn't do.
    Sky cleverly omitted the word "outlook".

The lack of a stock market collapse wasn't doing it for them seemingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

J Mysterio wrote: »

Total crap. The guy is a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I wiped a tear from my eye when I heard the result. Glorious day for England. Mein Fuhrer Shultz is not pleased.

I wiped a tear from my eye when I heard the result. Glorious day for England. Mein Fuhrer Shultz is not pleased.

haven't you been reading this thread?

There are many here who would slit their wrists if commanded by their adored triumvirate of Shute, Junker & Tusk.

All glory in their names!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Reading some of the papers this morning gives the impression that Ire will find itself between a rock and a hard place - stay in the EU and avail of FDI or eventually follow the UK and leave in order to maintain trade.

Ire will have a strong case to make for the UK to be given a good deal otherwise it may not be in our interests to remain in the EU.

Have to take your hat off to the British as they have put a halt to the whole European integration project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭embraer170

Have to take your hat off to the British as they have put a halt to the whole European integration project.

Anything they did was only done through a campaign of absolute lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

J Mysterio wrote: »

Super biased.

Here's right about the power/nfluenced of the media. But he's only looking at the influence of the media who are promoting the views he doesn't like, and failing to see that the same bias and strong influence also exists on his side of the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Trompette

Mec27 wrote: »
    I don't get this clamour for Irish passports? I was thinking about all the British European Union workers in Brussels and I can see why they would want to get passports because as far as I know you must be a citizen of the EU to work in the union, but how likely are most of these people to live outside the UK or the anglosphere in their life? Life is going to go on, and if you are able to get Irish citizenship or some other EU citizenship, just wait until you need to live and work there.

Because from sometime in the next 2 years, the British are highly likely to lose their guaranteed right to establish permanent residence and work in 27 EU countries. That will be a huge change that most of the electorate did not seem to understand.

Some concessions could be negotiated, but there is no way the EU will allow the free of movement of labour without the UK agreeing to the same... and as we saw, the whole Leave campaign was built on a stopping this free movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

embraer170 wrote: »
    Anything they did was only done through a campaign of absolute lies.

I wouldn't agree. The people that are panicing are business/media people who didn't see the vote going through. As Farage said it was a victory for ordinary people having their say.

The UK imports more than it exports so while prices may increase in the future they will start to create more jobs in their own country as their own domestic goods become more competitive against imports. This is a good long term thing for the UK as their trade balance has been out of line for a while.

Cameron is a bit of a chicken as he did say he would invoke Article 50 if the vote went through.
    They need to get rid of Cameron straight away, appoint a new leader quickly and invoke Article 50. No matter what there will be another election very soon as any new leader will have to go back to the people to get a mandate. So there is going to be a period of uncertainty. Cameron should take some of the blame for this.

As for Scottish independence it is very hard to see it happen. If they go independent they will have to reapply for EU membership which could take years leaving them out of the UK and the EU. Can't see it happening.

• Advertisement

For some perspective:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/FT/status/746291798700597248
    "Regions with the biggest votes for Leave are also the most economically dependent on the EU"

Already one example:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-cornwall-issues-plea-for-funding-protection-after-county-overwhelmingly-votes-in-favour-of-a7101311.html
    “We will be insisting that Cornwall receives investment equal to that provided by the EU programme which has averaged £60m per year over the last ten years.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement