Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Has George Osborne made an appearance yet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Farage is an idiot
    F*rage is not an idiot. He is a deceitful, conniving, malevolent b*stard who knows how to play idiots and the uninformed for short-term political gain. He has no place in any mature debate nor any honorable society.

And quite apart from his plentiful and obvious negative qualities, has everybody already forgotten his his dog-whistle "warning" in the middle of May that migration anger could "lead to violence on the streets" a few weeks before a guy with a gun did just that and murdered a pro-EU politician on the streets?

And his frankly unbelievable follow-up comment yesterday morning that "victory was achieved without a single bullet being fired".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36317915
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/nigel-farage-ugliness-bullet-fired

I need a stiff drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Has George Osborne made an appearance yet?

No. And I would be surprised if hes doesn't say " Fuck it " and Resign

They told people basic information of what will happen which so far it mainly correct.

Leave said:

350m a week for NHS. Now Say mistake

Immigration will be reduced down to the 1000s rather then 100,000s. Now say mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Patser

smjm wrote: »
    The EU's great isn't it:

UK: "the EU needs reform!"
    EU: "no it doesn't!"
    UK: "we think it does!"
    EU: "then leave the EU!"
    UK: "okay!"
    EU: "the EU needs reform!"

:)

What?? When did the EU say leave? More like

UK; EU needs reform
    EU; yes we're a bit slow and creaky, bear with us
    UK: we think it does
    EU: ok, here's some concessions
    UK: we're running a referendum to show we're serious about leaving
    EU ; please don't go, it's to no-ones benefit especially yours.
    UK; don't make us do it!!!
    EU: again please don't, we're looking at change but it's your decision
    UK: We're Gone!.
    EU: oh crap, we really do need to change
    UK: oh crap, what've we done!!!

From the BBC Live Feed

Zimbabwe looks forward to better ties with EU post Brexit

Zimbabwean state-owned newspaper, the Herald, says it is looking forward to better ties between Zimbabwe and the EU post Brexit.

Zimbabwe was suspended from the Commonwealth in 2002. "Big Brother Britain is gone - with all its fine airs of imperial nostalgia as well as its undue influence in matters such as Zimbabwe," it says, adding: "It is conceivable that countries such as France and Portugal and even Germany will be at hand to review their policies towards Zimbabwe."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

Patser wrote: »
    What?? When did the EU say leave? More like

UK; EU needs reform
    EU; yes we're a bit slow and creaky, bear with us
    UK: we think it does
    EU: ok, here's some concessions
    UK: we're running a referendum to show we're serious about leaving
    EU ; please don't go, it's to no-ones benefit especially yours.
    UK; don't make us do it!!!
    EU: again please don't, we're looking at change but it's your decision
    UK: We're Gone!.
    EU: oh crap, we really do need to change
    UK: oh crap, what've we done!!!

I suppose we all see it slightly differently! Sketches seem to be a nice format for summarising one's viewpoint. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Patser

smjm wrote: »
    I suppose we all see it slightly differently! Sketches seem to be a nice format for summarising one's viewpoint. :)

Maybe but the question remains, when did the EU tell Britain to leave? They offered concessions, were looking into changes but they are a slow bureaucratic grouping. The UK jumped of their own accord though, they haven't thought it through, they've no clear plan now, but they jumped they weren't pushed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch in 'Life of Brian'

What did the Romans ever do for us? etc.

What did the EU ever do for us?
    Well, we got free movement so we could go and work or live anywhere in the EU.
    Well apart from that, What did the EU ever do for us?
    Well, they have kept us out of wars in Europe and banished hunger from Europe, and they pay our farmers lots of money to grow the food we need.
    etc . etc. etc.

Instead, we got 'The EU will not allow us to sell bunches of bananas! and other rubbish.

Well, they have kept us out of wars in Europe and banished hunger from Europe, and they pay our farmers lots of money to grow the food we need.
    etc . etc. etc.

Instead, we got 'The EU will not allow us to sell bunches of bananas! and other rubbish.
    Yeah, how about that Norwegian famine? Or the wars of Iceland?

The EU suits some countries, and some are better off with outside affiliation. It isn't right for everyone.

Ireland, Denmark, Belgium and Germany are huge beneficiaries. It would be nuts if we left. The UK already has an immense reputation in law & banking, it has an economic vision that doesn't correspond well with the predominant European views, such as regulation, big government, and quasi protectionism in France, Italy and other Med countries. And it has diverse trade links that make it less reliant on the EU.

etc . etc. etc.

You're quite right of course. The EU is perfect, as was the Roman Empire! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

A petition calling for a second referendum on UK's membership of the EU has gained more than one million signatures following the vote to leave. This now has to be considered by parliament as it has well passed the 100,000 mark.

I'm kind of surprised the big news channels are not discussing this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629324

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

A petition calling for a second referendum on UK's membership of the EU has gained more than one million signatures following the vote to leave. This now has to be considered by parliament as it has well passed the 100,000 mark.

I'm kind of surprised the big news channels are not discussing this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629324

Their all for democracy until the result disagrees with their desired outcome.
    This is pretty pathetic.

Mec27 wrote: »
    http://news.sky.com/story/1717427/uk-must-trigger-article-50-urgently-france

I think when the dust settles the UK is going to serve as an example for other E.U states to not leave the Union. They are going to reapply for membership within two decades I'd wager.
    That statement really isn't helpful.

I really think that the likes of Juncker and the rest of the mandarins need to calm the market by giving the UK as much time as they need to extricate themselves from the EU. I am disappointed the UK have left, but we have to accept the decision and move forward with the best interests of all parties. If we start trying to put pressure on the UK, then we're only going to drive a deeper wedge between each other and who knows what destructive action that would lead to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I really think that the likes of Juncker and the rest of the mandarins need to calm the market by giving the UK as much time as they need to extricate themselves from the EU. I am disappointed the UK have left, but we have to accept the decision and move forward with the best interests of all parties. If we start trying to put pressure on the UK, then we're only going to drive a deeper wedge between each other and who knows what destructive action that would lead to.

They can't delay and stymie the work of the European Union. They must start the leaving process and allow the EU27 to carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭embraer170

The UK has spoken and chosen to leave, despite a range of concessions offered (historically, and most recently in February).

It is obvious that the leaders of the EU Institutions will now take all steps to favour the remaining members.

embraer170 wrote: »
    It is obvious that the leaders of the EU Institutions will now take all steps to favour the remaining members.

As they should - but what favours Germany might not favour Ireland.

No. The EU want to move on and fix the issue without the UK involvement.

EU move forward

UK dwell on the past.

UK voted to leave to fix there issues so why not activate Article 50?

I think the reason is, Nobody wants to activate it because they dont want to be responsible for it.

The people who were pushing to leave are now distancing themselves from the repercussions.

The EU wants somebody held responsible and not everyone running to the hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

If they want to reduce immigration they have done a good job, they have been shown to been anti immigration and anti intellectualism. Why would I move to a country like that? One which would just sneer that Im a foreigner and that Jim from down the road knows better than me because he read an article in the daily mail vs my 4 years of research.

We saw what happens when you side with the far left in Greece, now we will see what happens when you side with the far right. Hopefully there won't be a second referendum, they made their decision and will now live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Yeah, how about that Norwegian famine? Or the wars of Iceland?

The EU suits some countries, and some are better off with outside affiliation. It isn't right for everyone.
    The difference is that Norway and Iceland haven't joined.

The UK, on the other hand, as has been demonstrated by the very close referendum result, is utterly schizophrenic in it's attitude towards the EU: "we don't want to join, actually we do, no wait, we want to leave again, ok we'll stay, no actually, we want out..."

While most in the EU will obviously be disappointed at the referendum result, I'm sure there are more than a few senior figures relieved that they won't have to put up with the UK's nonsense any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »
    They can't delay and stymie the work of the European Union. They must start the leaving process and allow the EU27 to carry on
    It's very easy for Europe to take the attitude that the British made their own bed, now they can lie in it. In the real world though, if Britain was to stumble, and we exacerbated the situation, then I would be fairly certain we would end up shooting ourselves in the foot. No one is saying that the work of the EU should be held back. What I am saying is that the transition of the UK out of the EU should be done is such a way that neither party is penalized or held back.

It's very easy for Europe to take the attitude that the British made their own bed, now they can lie in it. In the real world though, if Britain was to stumble, and we exacerbated the situation, then I would be fairly certain we would end up shooting ourselves in the foot. No one is saying that the work of the EU should be held back. What I am saying is that the transition of the UK out of the EU should be done is such a way that neither party is penalized or held back.

The U.K. Is no longer the EUs problem. They voted. Now they leave. 2 years is enough time

Cornwall want London to pay the EU subventions now, as does Wales and Northern Ireland...

Good luck with that...

All the savings is going into the NHS...

The UK wants to leave

The EU are telling them their taxi is waiting outside.

Delaying Article 50 is just showing that the UK are having second thoughts or showing the market that the the UK have no fucking idea what they are doing.

Its a win/win for the EU as its showing the Market that the EU is serious and that its going to be hard to take the UK serious after they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

mansize wrote: »
    Cornwall want London to pay the EU subventions now, as does Wales and Northern Ireland...

Good luck with that...

All the savings is going into the NHS...
    That's the joke. There will be practically no savings. Remaining part of the common market will require payment whereas there will be no more structural funding or subsidies going the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Better to rip off the plaster. The EU needs to look forward to a union without the UK and the faster the better. Focus should now be on helping them get out as fast as possible as is their wish. The more time the EU spends dealing with the UK is time that could be spent on the countries that want to work together. Then latet it can turn to trade negotiations and further down the line maybe an offer to join the eea.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Farage is an idiot

Mod:
    Can we up the standard of debate a bit from calling politicians idiots and nothing else please.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

That's the joke. There will be practically no savings. Remaining part of the common market will require payment whereas there will be no more structural funding or subsidies going the other way.

I didn't think there would be savings... I was being facetious

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Their all for democracy until the result disagrees with their desired outcome.
    This is pretty pathetic.

Well Farage did say he'd want another referendum if the vote was close...

If they'd lost the campaign would go on so they can't really complain when the others do it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I'm delighted with the EUs stances.
    Britain has been playing a game of chicken for a few years now and the EU have finally told them hurry up and leave.
    Waiting until October is even too long for the EU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement