Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Nody wrote: »
    Actually they are not; nor are you making any arguments except linking to articles of other people and when your linked article is refuted you ignore it and jump to another point instead.
    • How about instead of trying to google up links you refute the points raised? Why do you claim Brexit is not about immigration when both debates, interviews and posters says differently?
    • Why do you claim EU wanted to control the oil, gas and fisheries of Norway when the article you claim proving this only states Norway was told they would need to follow the EU requirements (which applies to any country in EU so joining they would need to follow them, shocker)?
    • Why do you claim EU controlled financial institutions caused the financial crisis when it was a national responsibility to control the financial institutions of each respective country?

Cause i am Norwegian and voted no to EU in 1994.
    Reason i dont want Brussels to control my country.
    how about you.You want to be controlled by Brussels,be my guest.
    And i know my facts,dont you worry.

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/opinion/European-Union-Why-Norway-and-Switzerland-Never-Signed-the-Treaty-of-Lisbon.-20140907-0038.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/opinion/European-Union-Why-Norway-and-Switzerland-Never-Signed-the-Treaty-of-Lisbon.-20140907-0038.html

Norway is a member of the EEA. It is scarcely more independent of Brussels than any EU nation. The main difference between Norway and any EU nation is that EU nations have a say in what Brussels does, Norway doesn't. Norway still abides by most major EU legislation, accepts free movement of people and contributes to the EU budget but it doesn't have a commissioner or MEPs

Norway is a member of the EEA. It is scarcely more independent of Brussels than any EU nation. The main difference between Norway and any EU nation is that EU nations have a say in what Brussels does, Norway doesn't. Norway still abides by most major EU legislation, accepts free movement of people and contributes to the EU budget but it doesn't have a commissioner or MEPs

Not for long,there are allready talks about a referendum about EEC and Schengen because of brexit.
    Norway are fed up paying for a membership and get nothing in return.
    Same reason as the UK for brexit.
    Last thing was that Norway had to sign over their banks and finance institutions to Brussels.
    Not gonna happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,799 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Not for long,there are allready talks about a referendum about EEC and Schengen because of brexit.
    Last thing was that Norway had to sign over their banks and finance institutions to Brussels.
    Not gonna happen.
    You have a very tenuous grasp on what EEA membership or EU law entails. Nobody 'signs over' anything. They agree to implementing certain minimum standards and controls. Nobody wants another financial meltdown and the EU are trying to prevent one. Or do you think leaving National Governments turn their backs on regulation to keep their buddies happy is a good thing?

• Advertisement

You have a very tenuous grasp on what EEA membership or EU law entails. Nobody 'signs over' anything. They agree to implementing certain minimum standards and controls. Nobody wants another financial meltdown and the EU are trying to prevent one. Or do you think leaving National Governments turn their backs on regulation to keep their buddies happy is a good thing?

I think every country like to have control over their own banks and finances.
    What can possibly go wrong if EU have a saying in it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,799 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Only 77,000 signatures removed?

So far. It's still early days. It only needed 100,000 to trigger a debate though. I'd say easily 70-80% are genuine. 10% would be 300,000.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I think every country like to have control over their own banks and finances.
    What can possibly go wrong if EU have a saying in it?
    Who actually controls banks? The government? The shareholders? The people?

When you answer that, maybe we can carry on to controls (I think you are misunderstanding this word).

Edit: Control can have more than one meaning. Ownership is one meaning. Oversight is another.

Not gonna happen.

Norway can have all the referendums they want. I can't really see a country of 5 million people getting a better deal than what they already have.

• Advertisement

Who actually controls banks? The government? The shareholders? The people?

When you answer that, maybe we can carry on to controls (I think you are misunderstanding this word).

Norway and UK dont use the Euro for starters.
    they use Kroner and Pounds.
    And if EU is going to control this,it will have an impact eventually on both countries.

Norway can have all the referendums they want. I can't really see a country of 5 million people getting a better deal than what they already have.

That depends on the deal UK is getting now.
    And there is a better agreement in the swiss deal as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

So you can see the UK, with 65 million people, getting a better deal than Norway?

And if EU is going to control this,it will have an impact eventually on both countries.
    You are misunderstanding control. It means oversight. It means making sure the banks are carrying out their functions responsibly and not being highly exposed to risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Without trying to be glib or whatnot, "being controlled by Brussels" as you like to put it (being an EU member as we put it) is why Ireland is not a second world country anymore.

smjm wrote: »
    So you can see the UK, with 65 million people, getting a better deal than Norway?
    It really deends on what the UK wants and what it is prepared to accept. But yes, you'd expect that they'd be able to do a better deal.

You are misunderstanding control. It means oversight. It means making sure the banks are carrying out their functions responsibly and not being highly exposed to risk.

Maybe,i am pretty sure the banks can manage that without EUs help.
    And why would EU suggest this in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Osborne is going to be making a statement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Osborne is going to be making a statement

Given how long it took, he'd better have a good one ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Bob24 wrote: »
    Given how long it took, he'd better have a good one ;-)

Sky News are saying he is doing it before the Markets open tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He asked who controls the banks, not what their national currency is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

Billy86 wrote: »
    Without trying to be glib or whatnot, "being controlled by Brussels" as you like to put it (being an EU member as we put it) is why Ireland is not a second world country anymore.

Go into any hospital's emergency ward on any given evening and tell me we are a first world country.

Billy86 wrote: »
    He asked who controls the banks, not what their national currency is?

Why doesnt UK and Norway have Euro?
    have this anything to say for banks and finances you think?
    you dont think this will have anything to say for the banks in the whole of EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I think most likely at the end of the day the UK will opt to retain membership of the EEA while leaving the EU. It is true that there will still be some EU legislation they will need to abide by but the legislative burden will be reduced. Contribution to the EU budget will be reduced. They will still have movement of people from the EU into Britain but will gain a certain amount of control. They will be exempt from EU common foreign and defence policy and will in the long term gain by being able to do their own trade deals.

This will not satisfy Farage and UKip, but it means that there will be minimal economic disruption from leaving the EU while gaining additional autonomy over their own affairs. It is a base from which to negotiate further gains.

It would also be good news, relatively speaking, for Ireland. Our export market to Britain would remain without tariffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Jaez, short memory?

smjm wrote: »

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭amacca

Hang on a second, wasn't it the lowering of interest rates by european central bank which turned on the tap that allowed masses of cheap credit to flow into irish banks which they then lent out irresponsibly.

Wasn't that low interest rate primarily set to benefit the likes of Germany etc or am I missing something? It wasn't a great thing for us in an already overheating property market.

Granted it took the irish banks to lend it out irresponsibly but doesn't the whole financial machinery in europe bear at least some responsibility for not "overseeing" things properly after all didn't they provide at least the coke if not the hookers for the "party"

Redbishop wrote: »
    Jaez, short memory?

You have a short memory?

Because the banks went into meltdown when left to their own and national governments 'regulatory systems'.

I'm surprised that you don't know this. The EU had to bail out Ireland, the UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Greece and Italy because of rampant stupidity in banking regulation.

Iceland lost pretty much its entire banking system.

• Advertisement

Because the banks went into meltdown when left to their own and national governments 'regulatory systems'.

I'm surprised that you don't know this. The EU had to bail out Ireland, the UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Greece and Italy because of rampant stupidity in banking regulation.

Iceland lost pretty much its entire banking system.

So that basically means they want control so it doesnt happen again?
    It didnt effect Norway that much,maybe thats why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement