Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

thats because they never where an independent country like we are.
    But they are slowly gaining it.
    they where controlled by Moscow,does that remind you of Brussels?
    And the trade between countries have always excisted and always will,with or without EU.
    No it doesn't. And they joined the EU willingly. They're not that far from you but they clearly didn't think your model was worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

No it doesn't. And they joined the EU willingly. They're not that far from you but they clearly didn't think your model was worth the risk.

Offcourse they are joing EU,they are used to be controllled from Moscow in the former USSR.
    If you could choose what would it be?
    And they are also looking for NATO membership,wonder why?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

thats because they never where an independent country like we are.
    Norway spend most of it's time being occupied by Denmark and then Sweden rather than being an independent country. In fact Norway only became independent in 1905 after Sweden let Norway go; only 15 years before Latvia was recognized as a sovereign country by Russia...

Offcourse they are joing EU,they are used to be controllled from Moscow in the former USSR.
    If you could choose what would it be?
    And they are also looking for NATO membership,wonder why?
    Well I've been in Norway and it's not all that. :p

Expensive, expensive, cold, expensive. Oh did I say it was expensive? :D

Nody wrote: »
    Norway spend most of it's time being occupied by Denmark and then Sweden rather than being an independent country. In fact Norway only became independent in 1905 after Sweden let Norway go; only 15 years before Latvia was recognized as a sovereign country by Russia...

And was under soviet rule from 1940 to 1991,in the former USSR.
    Norway have been independent since 1905 and never in a union since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The ECB has the power to:
    carry out supervisory reviews, including stress tests
    conduct on-site inspections and investigations
    grant or withdraw banking licences
    authorise banks’ acquisitions of qualifying holdings
    ensure compliance with EU prudential rules
    set higher capital requirements (“buffers”) in order to counter any financial risks
    impose corrective measures and sanctions

seems like control to me

Of course they've control, why wouldn't they?

It has been explained why they've got extra powers recently as well. When tax payers get stung for billions people want to see the ECB stress test banks, seems perfectly fair to me. Why doesn't it to you?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Of course they've control, why wouldn't they?

It has been explained why they've got extra powers recently as well. When tax payers get stung for billions people want to see the ECB stress test banks, seems perfectly fair to me. Why doesn't it to you?

So why did EU start out as a trade union?
    now its seems like they are gaining more and more control over every country?

Oh Lord!

That's too big a question for this time of night. Short answer, you can't negotiate for trade deals without some rules about the standard of the goods you're selling and the goods you're buying. It grew from there.

Wikipedia ftw ;)

Oh Lord!

That's too big a question for this time of night. Short answer, you can't negotiate for trade deals without some rules about the standard of the goods you're selling and the goods you're buying. It grew from there.

Wikipedia ftw ;)

Lol i agree.
    But that doesnt involve banking and immigation does it.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭embraer170

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

The Biggest search in the UK on Google on the 24th of June was....

"What is the EU"

I Suggest you follow suit.

Nate

Lol i agree.
    But that doesnt involve banking and immigation does it.?
    No. Not at first. Like all organisations (sports are a good example) for all rules, you have to look at what they are trying to prevent and from that you can extrapolate what people were doing to cause the rules in the first place.

Immigration isn't looked at as immigration in the EU. If you can move goods freely within the union, why can't people move as well? It's one of the real tangible benefits to people living in the EU. Go abroad, get a job and learn a new language.

I really have to hit the sack. g'night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

And was under soviet rule from 1940 to 1991,in the former USSR.
    Norway have been independent since 1905 and never in a union since.

Nazi occupation 1940-45

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Lol i agree.
    But that doesn't involve banking and immigration does it.?

Of course it does.
    You need to transfer money easily to trade no?
    You need flexible labour market to be competitive no?

All the reasons the US went through the same growing pains which they've done over the past 230 years. The EU has achieved this in 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think every country like to have control over their own banks and finances.
    What can possibly go wrong if EU have a saying in it?

I think a few countries, Ireland included, have shown that they cannot control their own banks and finances, especially if they share a currency.

You think that if everything is controlled by Brussels the world would be a better place?
    Problem here is that EU is slowly taking over more and more control over every countries powers?whats next?
    I prefer being and independent country with a finance crisis,rather than an EU confrolled one.
    I dont want to be part of united states of Europe.

Its not about thinking Brussels makes everything perfect, recent history has been proof that this isn't the case. However if your country has decided, for better or worse, to join the EU and the euro you have to give up a certain degree of "control" to make it work.

Norway has decided it likes to pay money to the EU and accept EU standards when it wants to be part of the single market. Good for Norway. Look at it this way, Norway pays a annual membership fee to be part of a golf club. It abides by the rules to play at the golf club. It has no say in how the club is run though.

Because every financial expert has asserted that to make the eurozone work you need more integration between the countries, which means handing more power to Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

micosoft wrote: »
    Of course it does.

All the reasons the US went through the same growing pains which they've done over the past 230 years. The EU has achieved this in 50.

worked out for them didnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

embraer170 wrote: »
    Not paywalled for me, even without a subscription. I think it depends on how many Telegraph articles you've read in the past week. The system used to be cookie based, so deleting any cookies with telegraph in it might help unless they updated the system since. They also have an adblock checker, so you might have to disable adblock for their website.

smjm wrote: »
    Not paywalled for me, even without a subscription. I think it depends on how many Telegraph articles you've read in the past week. The system used to be cookie based, so deleting any cookies with telegraph in it might help unless they updated the system since. They also have an adblock checker, so you might have to disable adblock for their website.

i can read that as well but i just couldnt be bothered. not a subscriber

Enzokk wrote: »
    I think a few countries, Ireland included, have shown that they cannot control their own banks and finances, especially if they share a currency.

Its not about thinking Brussels makes everything perfect, recent history has been proof that this isn't the case. However if your country has decided, for better or worse, to join the EU and the euro you have to give up a certain degree of "control" to make it work.

Norway has decided it likes to pay money to the EU and accept EU standards when it wants to be part of the single market. Good for Norway. Look at it this way, Norway pays a annual membership fee to be part of a golf club. It abides by the rules to play at the golf club. It has no say in how the club is run though.

Because every financial expert has asserted that to make the eurozone work you need more integration between the countries, which means handing more power to Brussels.

And the experts in every country isnt good enough?
    And why should we be all be controlled from Brussels?
    If i want to have a saying i prefer to do it in my own country,not in Brussels.
    I prefer my own politicians that i voted for to make the right decisions,not Brussels.
    I prefer walking into an independent bank,getting a loan or transfer money,not controlled from Brussels.

embraer170 wrote: »

He isn't asking for much from the EU, seems that free trade is what he wants. I guess if that was the only real campaign issue he is in the clear for a favourable negotiation with Brussels.

• Advertisement

micosoft wrote: »
    Of course it does.

So you want to be united states of Europe?
    Not run from washington,but Brussels.
    good luck with that

He isn't asking for much from the EU, seems that free trade is what he wants. I guess if that was the only real campaign issue he is in the clear for a favourable negotiation with Brussels.

be uproar in england though if he cant get some sort of deal with immigration

Well the Euro is probably the main reason, a few countries opted out. Once the new currency came in it became a different beast!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Well the Euro is probably the main reason, a few countries opted out. Once the new currency came in it became a different beast!

Yes and thats when things started to go bad

im wondering if we can make major changes to the eu's monetary system, would it save the beast?

smjm wrote: »

I've never had bother with a paywall for the Telegraph either. There isn't anything particularly new in it anyway.

And the experts in every country isnt good enough?
    And why should we be all be controlled from Brussels?
    If i want to have a saying i prefer to do it in my own country,not in Brussels.
    I prefer my own politicians that i voted for to make the right decisions,not Brussels.
    I prefer walking into an independent bank,getting a loan or transfer money,not controlled from Brussels.

I am not sure what you mean by your first point. It is every countries right to choose its relationship with the EU. Norway has chosen to have access to the single market. In exchange Norway is subject to about 5000 of the 21000 EU laws. So you aren't in total control.

Any new obligations needs to be approved by the Norwegian Parliament, seeing as they approve more than 90% of those unanimously and the rest with a majority, seems like the Norwegians think like those pesky Brussels control masters.

I am not sure what you mean by your first point. It is every countries right to choose its relationship with the EU. Norway has chosen to have access to the single market. In exchange Norway is subject to about 5000 of the 21000 EU laws. So you aren't in total control.

Any new obligations needs to be approved by the Norwegian Parliament, seeing as they approve more than 90% of those unanimously and the rest with a majority, seems like the Norwegians think like those pesky Brussels control masters.

No your right,but Norway have control over their main assets.
    finance and immigration.
    And it wont be long before a referendum comes about EEC and Schengen.
    its allready in the talks.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    be uproar in england though if he cant get some sort of deal with immigration

The biggest unknown is how the EU will negotiate with the UK. Will it be all rosy as those that wanted to leave tells the people and the EU will cave in to the demands of the 5th...sorry 6th largest economy in the world? Or will it play hardball like they did with a euro currency country, Greece, who's collapse could have triggered the end of the euro? I bet a lot of EU politicians are a little tired of UKIP MEPs and the negotiations will not be easy for the UK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement