Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Referendum Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭embraer170

After morning mtg w/opposition parties, Swedish PM Stefan Löfven says Britain should submit formal application for withdrawal ASAP. #Brexit

https://twitter.com/radiosweden/status/747380297466056704

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Because money, in respect of the tangible aspects the Governmennt control, is by far the most relevant aspect of the referendum.

Jobs will be lost, billions has already been wiped off the value of the economy. The cost of borrowing for the UK will soon rise as their credit rating is lowered. This isn't scaremongering, this is fact. Already the potential Tata steel investors in Wales have expressed doubt about investing, while talk of banks in the city relocating will take with them both jobs and billions from the economy.

This isn't scaremongering, this is is a fact. Yes, people will be better off than their predecessors of the 1800's and 1900's, but by and large they'll also be worse off than they would have been inside the EU.

The older Ford Focus and Xbox may be the sacrifice the middle classes make, but for many it'll be worse. A low earner in a steel works in Wales for example will probably find himself more concerned about his/her £60/wk, or whatever the exact welfare figure in the the UK is, can feed and cloth him once that plant closes, as inevitabley many industries will.

Money can be used by the goverment as a form of psychological control, because they know well money is the public's biggest obsession and biggest fear.
    Yes, according to Bloomberg, Brexit cost 400 of the 'world's richest' £127 billion, and us ordinary people should feel bad, because the greedy fat cats lost pocket change, because of this referendum. The same pigs who caused the carnage of 2008. It's about time they got a kick in the teeth. The only people who'll be damaged because of Brexit will be the top 1%.

Also considering the minimum wage in the UK is £7.20 for over 25s. A steel worker in Wales who works a 40 hour week, should by law be coming away with at least £250 a week. So your figure of £60 a week is utterly false.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,799 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Conas wrote: »
    Also considering the minimum wage in the UK is £7.20 for over 25s. A steel worker in Wales who works a 40 hour week, should by law be coming away with at least £250 a week. So your figure of £60 a week is utterly false.

Incidentally, the referendum result has stalled the process by which Tata stell was to be rescued. Given how Wales voted, I have difficulty sympathising.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Money can be used by the goverment as a form of psychological control, because they know well money is the public's biggest obsession and biggest fear.
    Yes, according to Bloomberg, Brexit cost 400 of the 'world's richest' £127 billion, and us ordinary people should feel bad, because the greedy fat cats lost pocket change, because of this referendum. The same pigs who caused the carnage of 2008. It's about time they got a kick in the teeth. The only people who'll be damaged because of Brexit will be the top 1%.

I can assure you that this is not the case.

We all lose here. We as Irish people. We as EU Migrants. We as Europeans. We as modern progressive people with inclusive values.

There are already losses for many 'groups of us', and there are more losses to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

EU declares war on Norway :D

What wars are the EU involved in and with who's army?

Afghanistan,Libya,Syria,Africa
    EU have their own peacekeeping troops and advisors in central africa,also they have the nordic battlegroup.
    Allthough not directly involved,they are fighting against the war against terrorism a war that concerns us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Afghanistan,Libya,Syria,Africa
    EU have their own peacekeeping troops and advisors in central africa,also they have the nordic battlegroup.
    Allthough not directly involved,they are fighting against the war against terrorism a war that concerns us all.
    That's a gross misstatement of what those peacekeeping missions are. You called it war. You said the EU is taking part in wars outside its borders.

Please don't start that rubbish. You can make points without resorting to downright lies.

I can assure you that this is not the case.

We all lose here. We as Irish people. We as EU Migrants. We as Europeans. We as modern progressive people with inclusive values.

There are already losses for many 'groups of us', and there are more losses to come.

How will we lose? A low to middle income earner. Making say €350 to €400 a week. If you don't get greedy, live beyond on your means, and stay out of debt, how will you find yourself in crisis? how will you suffer?

If you lost your job, you can still get €188 a week on the dole. Which is something you'd never get 100 years ago. I mean people are so ungrateful. Everything is a doomsday scenario. Regardless if you are employed or unemployed in today world, people have never had it so easy. Well fed, well clothed, easy access to second and third level education (which wasn't the case 100 years ago) People have never been living as long. Always think about the positive things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

This whole Brexit situation is a political firestorm it breaks my heart. We are going to see increasing incidence of racism etc. It was interesting looking at the maps of how the UK voted. I am not exactly sure where the border lies in with Scotland and the UK but it looks like all area of Scotland voted with a Majority to Remain. Could Scotland possibly Join the EU without a complete separation from the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

You missed the point. The point was that if that take over doesn't happen, and Brexit has made it less likely, Tata Steel will close and the steel workers will find themselves on the dole, which is roughly £60/week

You missed the point. The point was that if that take over doesn't happen, and Brexit has made it less likely, Tata Steel will close and the steel workers will find themselves on the dole, which is roughly £60/week

That's fair enough, but such a thing hasn't happened yet, and may not happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

How will we lose? A low to middle income earner. Making say €350 to €400 a week. If you don't get greedy, live beyond on your means, and stay out of debt, how will you find yourself in crisis? how will you suffer?
    You may lose your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If you lost your job, you can still get €188 a week on the dole. Which is something you'd never get 100 years ago. I mean people are so ungrateful. Everything is a doomsday scenario. Regardless if you are employed or unemployed in today world, people have never had it so easy. Well fed, well clothed, easy access to second and third level education (which wasn't the case 100 years ago) People have never been living as long. Always think about the positive things in life.

First world problems yes, but most people don't think like the above. It's like telling somebody about to lose their house, sure you could be in a mud hut in Burundi!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

That's a gross misstatement of what those peacekeeping missions are. You called it war. You said the EU is taking part in wars outside its borders.

Please don't start that rubbish. You can make points without resorting to downright lies.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2010/12/2010125125337676886.html

http://yournewswire.com/europe-unveils-eu-army-following-brexit/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3660346/Who-protect-NATO-EU-Army-asks-historian-ANTONY-BEEVOR.html

something is happening allright.And dont call me a lier,please.
    get your facts right.And we ll know EU countries that is not in NATO is also involved in the fighting against terrorism rather they like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I am not exactly sure where the border lies in with Scotland and the UK

I think you are putting the cart before the horse here ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

That's fair enough, but such a thing hasn't happened yet, and may not happen.

It's four days after the result, of course it hasn't happened yet. Tats Steel will be replicated all across the country. Investment will dry up, jobs will be lost and government borrowing become more expensive. This will put a huge a strain on Govenment finances.

You might be happy to keep smoking whatever it is you're smoking and laugh at the "fat cats" losing money, they will, but ordinary people will suffer too. Housing, health care, infrastructure, education, security, policing. The money won't be there to invest in vital services that have a tangible impact on the well being of ordinary people. Brexit will put patients on trolleys, keep class rooms in prefabs, add to hospital waiting times, reduce social housing, and increase numbers on social welfare. This is absolutely inevitable.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2010/12/2010125125337676886.html

http://yournewswire.com/europe-unveils-eu-army-following-brexit/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3660346/Who-protect-NATO-EU-Army-asks-historian-ANTONY-BEEVOR.html

something is happening allright.And dont call me a lier,please.
    get your facts right.And we ll know EU countries that is not in NATO is also involved in the fighting against terrorism rather they like it or not.
    I quoted what you said. You then posted three links to articles that speculate about an EU army with no evidence to back them up and one about Nato forces including European member states' forces. Not an 'EU army'.

The EU is taking part in wars outside its borders. That's what you said. It's not true. How else can I put that?

How about if I said that a Norwegian citizen was fighting for IS, would it be OK for me to say then that Norway was supporting IS?

I quoted what you said. You then posted three links to articles that speculate about an EU army with no evidence to back them up and one about Nato forces including European member states' forces. Not an 'EU army'.

The EU is taking part in wars outside its borders. That's what you said. It's not true. How else can I put that?

How about if I said that a Norwegian citizen was fighting for IS, would it be OK for me to say then that Norway was supporting IS?

Lol so no EU countries have even been involved in Afghanistan?
    please correct me if i am wrong.

Lol so no EU countries have even been involved in Afghanistan?
    please correct me if i am wrong.
    You've moved your position a long way from saying that the EU was involved in wars outside its borders to asking if any EU countries were involved in Afghanistan.

So you're making stuff up and shifting your position when called on it.

Good luck with that.

You've moved your position a long way from saying that the EU was involved in wars outside its borders to asking if any EU countries were involved in Afghanistan.

So you're making stuff up and shifting your position when called on it.

Good luck with that.

Did you answer my question,no.
    And making things up,nope.
    I am just stating facts.
    But you seem a bit butthurt by it,thats all
    The whole world s involved in the fight against terrorism,and as far as iknow, EU is part of the world too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

It's four days after the result, of course it hasn't happened yet. Tats Steel will be replicated all across the country. Investment will dry up, jobs will be lost and government borrowing become more expensive. This will put a huge a strain on Govenment finances.

You might be happy to keep smoking whatever it is you're smoking and laugh at the "fat cats" losing money, they will, but ordinary people will suffer too. Housing, health care, infrastructure, education, security, policing. The money won't be there to invest in vital services that have a tangible impact on the well being of ordinary people. Brexit will put patients on trolleys, keep class rooms in prefabs, add to hospital waiting times, reduce social housing, and increase numbers on social welfare. This is absolutely inevitable.

All these things are happening anyway. So nobody will be facing into anything new. Nothing is ever inevitable. How many billions of pounds did the British goverment flush down the toilet fighting stupid wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? They could easily have invested that money into housing, healthcare etc. There always seems to be a shortage of money for the things mentioned above, but for war, an endless supply of credit is always available.
    I'm not smoking anything, I just took off my rose tinted glasses a long time ago.

And EU isnt part of any wars today outside its borders?
    That's more of a British past-time.

awec wrote: »
    Wow. :(

Any boot in the balls for the world's richest will trickle down to the world's poorest. The people who create jobs and provide investment need money to do it.

Like Ronald Reagan's trickle down economics in which cutting taxes for the super rich, would somehow trickle down to middle and low income earners? That didn't turn out too well now did it? Mind boggling deficits, and a massive increase in National Debt. Such policies led to the decline of the middle class in America. It's funny that you should mention 'trickle down'.

Has anyone seen the hashtag MysticClegg? Apparently Nick Clegg wrote the following the day before the vote. It's frighteningly prescient.

the Conservatives descend into a bloody leadership election

:eek:

As politicians bicker, you become increasingly unnerved by what’s happening in the economy, too: overseas investors take fright; money flows out of the country; our credit rating is slashed

Nicola Sturgeon soon announces that preparations have started for a second independence referendum, claiming it is the only way to keep Scotland in the EU. And this time most commentators think that she will win.

Still, at least they will finally sort out our borders, right? After all, ending mass immigration was the Brexiteers' biggest claim of all. So imagine how you’ll feel when you discover that they don’t have a plan for that either?

And then there’s that faintly queasy feeling you get when you see Donald Trump on the TV, visiting the UK on Friday, declaring his joy at the Brexit vote.

:D

djpbarry wrote: »
    That's more of a British past-time.

Isnt Germany,Netherlands and France in it too?

awec wrote: »
    What has this got to do with anything being discussed here?

You said 'Any boot in the balls for the world's richest will trickle down to the world's poorest. The people who create jobs and provide investment need money to do it'.

Just as with Reagan's trickle down policies, nothing actually trickled down at all. I was just making a comparison too it, because I think what you said won't happen. Just as it didn't in the 1980s.

Isnt Germany,Netherlands and France in it too?
    I don't know.

What I do know is that the EU is not, nor has it ever been, at war with anyone.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement