Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Festival 2016

Options
  • 30-01-2016 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

Line up should be out soon, who is everyone hoping to be announced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Would love to see Aphex Twin at it, also Daniel Avery, maybe one or two decent reggae headliners again like the old Life festival bills.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

12651042_10153855764993686_7072731549495927233_n.png?oh=4f5bccfcc184982497190b43056b2446&oe=5739E134

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Sandwell

An extremely uninspiring line up of acts that have been on rotation on the Irish club circuit for years. Also, there are just two women on the whole line up and they're part of the same act. Pretty pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

I think that's being harsh, it is an incredible line up I think.

barry194 wrote: »
    I think that's being harsh, it is an incredible line up I think.

I like plenty of the acts but most of them appear here every six months or so. And the lack of female artists is a joke considering the amount of debate there has been about male dominated festival lineups in the last year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Good announcement, much better than last years initial announcement IMO. It would be hard to get acts that don't play here that often there are only so many electronic acts/DJs that would play at it. Had no intentions of going but that line up would tempt me.. 2manyDJs would be great was hoping they might get booked for EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

Sandwell wrote: »
    I like plenty of the acts but most of them appear here every six months or so. And the lack of female artists is a joke considering the amount of debate there has been about male dominated festival lineups in the last year or so.

True would have been nice to have Nina or someone at it. Surely this year will have good weather.

It would be hard to get acts that don't play here that often there are only so many electronic acts/DJs that would play at it.

Not true at all. This is just the promoters lazily booking the same old tired acts and showing little or no imagination. Obviously you need a few crowdpleasers to make a festival of this scale viable but there's scope for mixing it up a bit within those limitations. No sign of that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah thats a great line up but I might give it a miss this year as I've saw lots of these artists over the past five years at EP, Body & Soul and subsequent Lifes. But then again that is the first announcement.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

pretty average lineup, nothing imaginative, most of the same old sh1te tbh.
    will probably give it a miss this year too, as a festival it's just ok, and there's nothing on there that I'm interested in that I haven't seen in the last year or 2.

Looool at the 'proper techno' guy bigging up Kalkbrenner.

Jeff Mills is certainly a legend but he's not one I ever need to see again at this stage.

Sunil has been doing mixes for years. I'm not sure what relevance the RA mix has to anything unless you're one of those people who use them as an arbiter of taste.

As for Blawan saving techno, what exactly did he save it from? Sounds like someones been reading too much RA.

Each of the acts you mention has played here numerous times in recent years. The line up is lazy and unimaginative. End of.

i did chuckle at trying to tell someone with Sandwell as their username what proper techno is, let alone the rest of that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

My issue with the announcement is this:

While I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of these again, it is the final word in that sentence that I have contention with. Again. Kalkbrenner, Sunil, Blawan, Truss, Joy Orbison, Laurent Garnier, Hot Since 82, Ejeca, Ben Klock. These are all agains for me.

I'm not knocking their skills or talents, or the stage that Life gives local (Irish) talent, but there's nothing there that makes me think "Right, ticket in the bag, and tent at the ready!"

That, and the first 3 people from my "friend" I saw that "liked" the announcement, are not the kind of people I was to be at a festival with. Not scaldy, but just not musically inclined, one in particular thinks Marty Mone's Slip the Diff is the epitamy of dance music.

My issue with the announcement is this:

While I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of these again, it is the final word in that sentence that I have contention with. Again. Kalkbrenner, Sunil, Blawan, Truss, Joy Orbison, Laurent Garnier, Hot Since 82, Ejeca, Ben Klock. These are all agains for me.

I'm not knocking their skills or talents, or the stage that Life gives local (Irish) talent, but there's nothing there that makes me think "Right, ticket in the bag, and tent at the ready!"

That, and the first 3 people from my "friend" I saw that "liked" the announcement, are not the kind of people I was to be at a festival with. Not scaldy, but just not musically inclined, one in particular thinks Marty Mone's Slip the Diff is the epitamy of dance music.

Don't you think the new stuff will be in the second or later waves or when the RBMA announces?

and again who is it that you want to see?

Oh, there probably will be one or 2 later, that might interest, but the first announce is just "safe".

And I mean that in the nicest possible way. Everyone announced will put in a damn good performance.

I've no idea what or who it would take for me to say "Day one purchase". Paranoid London, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

For an initial annoucment it is pretty strong but have to agreed with some of the previous comments. It seems like Ejeca is contracted to play somewhere in Ireland every fortnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Twigehh

I agree with the comments saying the lineup is uncreative. I count 3 artists that haven't played Ireland in the past year (Laurent Garnier, Martyn and Virginia?)..with a lot of the artists having actually played in the past 6 months too.

I hope the next announcement is more exciting..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Twigehh

Some acts I'd like to see who aren't over here that much:

Ricardo Villalobos, Len Faki, Dixon, Cosmin TRG, Peter van Hoesen, Phase, Lucy, Ben UFO b2b Pangaea b2b Pearson Sound would be a treat, Yan Cook, Midland, Function, Ellen Allien, DJ Tennis, Legowelt, Daniel Bell, Radio Slave, Josh Wink, Paranoid London, some lads off Mord Records and Nina's trip..**** put Rodhad and Ben Klock b2b, that would be unique and those 2 are over here all the ****ing time.

Bring the Liquid Tent back...have Mala and Calibre play every night.

probably just the batch of tickets had sold out and they'll release another later on. they usually do that for early bird/tiered tickets where there's a limited supply.

Pretty safe is right, would like to have seen some more reggae or hiphop acts but maybe in the next announcement. The likes of Tom Trago, Sven Vath, Cinnaman or MCDE again would be nice, MCDE definitely my highlight last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Anyone ever stay in the boutique camping area? I assume they erect the tent for you and all that jazz for the 550e they are charging. What else do they offer for that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 D3MAND

Thinking of attending for the first time this year, could anyone fill me in with what the crowd is like? Does it have a similar vibe to EP/ B and S? Should i expect bother, and does anyone know when final line up is released?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

D3MAND wrote: »
    Thinking of attending for the first time this year, could anyone fill me in with what the crowd is like? Does it have a similar vibe to EP/ B and S? Should i expect bother, and does anyone know when final line up is released?

Only went once in 2014 but judging from that year and what people have said from other years the crowd isn't quite like it is at EP or Body & Soul, it's a slight bit more scauldy but having said that I wouldn't think it's dangerous or that you'll find yourself in trouble, just a few more heads around and not as a relaxed feeling IMO. Nothing like an Oxegen crowd or anything but definitely a lot more people clearly on drugs so that isn't for everyone. The big thing I noticed was that it was almost exclusively people in the 18-25(ish) bracket, obviously there are a few who are older floating around but the demographic was very much that age group when I attended, that alone made it feel a bit more wild as there weren't as many mature heads around.

Not sure when the final line up will be announced, it's a good line up as it is, arguably better than the two previous years already. I'd guess that RBMA might still announce some acts separately for their stage (which usually has a very good line up), they announced it around a month before the festival last year.

If you like the line up then go! I wouldn't think the crowd should put you off too much and if you get decent weather you'll have a cracker of a weekend. Camp in a decent spot with no scobies around you and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

D3MAND wrote: »

I've attended the last two years. I was a bit apprehensive the first year i went as i had heard that life was very scaldy. But i found it fine. For the most part everyone was sound and i had a great time.

Its not quite the same vibe as EP / b&S . not as arty as b&S and not as laid back as EP maybe.

Drugs are everywhere at life even by festival standards and the majority of people you encounter are gonna be taking something. So if that's not your thing then maybe bast avoid.

Id say if your into your tunes and are going with a sound bunch then fire away. you'll have a blast especially if the sun shines.

• Advertisement

Advertisement