Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Mechanic

Options
  • 30-01-2016 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I went to a mechanic today to get a simple control arm fitted to my car.

I met him the previous week and i was told its a 30 min job and said between 30 - 40 euro total for the job including part and labour. i agreed so he ordered the part.

came back today to get it fitted and he now told me the part was 65 and he said he has a receipt from the shop which sounded like he was trying to prove something but i didn't really cop it.

I needed to get it for NCT so i said ok, then later on when i came back to pick up the car he gave me the receipt for the part and it then said 75, he said sorry i must of had it wrong. i Paid him 100 euro, 25 for labour. also when i left the car in i noticed some leaking coolant and asked him to look at it there, he said it was just some rain water on the turbo causing steam etc.

later on i drove into town and the steam got worse, parked the car came back and all the coolant was over the ground, clearly didn't even bother to look, yet this is not my issue. i thought he was taking the p*** so i called the number from the parts place he used and they said the part was 20 including vat cheaper then what was on the "receipt" he gave me, There is no mark up or service charge added, simply a doctored receipt from another parts company with a price increase and now i have no idea of knowing if we even did fit a new part of done anything at all. I

How can a garage get away with making false parts receipts to increase the price to make money from a customer, i am going to trace the order number on the receipt with the garage to make sure it is even real as it well could just be a fake receipt and a scrap part.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭greasepalm

curious to know what car and what arm and was the steering rechecked for alignment afterwards. a new part will be noticeable by how clean and not dirty/rusty go check while turning your steering all the way to left and right and view in behind.

Advertisement