Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to set up bar code reader (pocket PC) with computer software

Options
  • 30-01-2016 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi,

Company I am working for wants to implement bar code scanners and start inventory. I was asked to look into this but would appreciate help or where to start?
    company will purchase 3 bar code scanners (PC Dolphin 7900 bar code scanners) where you have microsoft on it.

1.what would be best inventory program that grows with amount of products and clients? (can be purchased or free) but it is also compatible with the scanners?

2. is there an inventory program where I can set up dependence between ready product and raw ingredients (where ready product gets out to the customer I need 1 plastic bottle to come off the system as well as 1 packaging, 1 label, and raw ingredients etc) and that will work with the scanners. I am going to need to set up clients in it as well.

3. would it be hard to synchronize PC Dolphin 7900 bar code scanners with inventory program?

4.maybe there is an inventory program that can also issue invoices?

is there anything I need to look for in an inventory program?

thanks for advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

ani_mal wrote: »
    Hi,

Company I am working for wants to implement bar code scanners and start inventory. I was asked to look into this but would appreciate help or where to start?
    company will purchase 3 bar code scanners (PC Dolphin 7900 bar code scanners) where you have microsoft on it.

1.what would be best inventory program that grows with amount of products and clients? (can be purchased or free) but it is also compatible with the scanners?

2. is there an inventory program where I can set up dependence between ready product and raw ingredients (where ready product gets out to the customer I need 1 plastic bottle to come off the system as well as 1 packaging, 1 label, and raw ingredients etc) and that will work with the scanners. I am going to need to set up clients in it as well.

3. would it be hard to synchronize PC Dolphin 7900 bar code scanners with inventory program?

4.maybe there is an inventory program that can also issue invoices?

is there anything I need to look for in an inventory program?

thanks for advice.

First question I would have is what's your budget for this project? Everything you ask for is available or it can be built as a bespoke solution.

Doubtful you will get something 'free' that will accomplish all of the requirements listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

TonyStark wrote: »
    First question I would have is what's your budget for this project? Everything you ask for is available or it can be built as a bespoke solution.

Doubtful you will get something 'free' that will accomplish all of the requirements listed.

HI,
    We are researching at the moment and open to suggestions.
    Program can be purchased if is good and takes in and works with all detailed dependencies we need to set up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There's more than a hint of 'tail wagging the dog' about the way you're approaching this.

I'd stop and think about the software before you go spending any money on barcode readers. Find the software that does what you need then have a look to see what barcode readers it supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

HI,
    We are researching at the moment and open to suggestions.
    Program can be purchased if is good and takes in and works with all detailed dependencies we need to set up.

A bespoke solution is going to be best but without having a budget its impossible to know what is going to be possible. You could get a product that will do what you want but you would need to make compromises whereas a bespoke option would be able to do everything you want it to do the way you want to do it. With products like this you get what you pay for if its free thats probably all its worth. For this sort of product I would be expecting to be paying at least €1k/year for an entry level product that will do the job with some compromises and you could probably spend as much as you wanted on a bespoke option.

Graham wrote: »
    There's more than a hint of 'tail wagging the dog' about the way you're approaching this.

I'd stop and think about the software before you go spending any money on barcode readers. Find the software that does what you need then have a look to see what barcode readers it supports.

Graham I came here to seek some advice, I have no experience in this field that is why I am here to find out where to go and where to start.
    So far no one told me what programs would do what I require despite the cost.
    The company isn't big at the moment.
    We got bar code readers (Pocket PC) very cheap so I won't be crying here about this.

if you have so good constructive advice please share, if not thank you for your time.

• Advertisement

jimmii wrote: »
    A bespoke solution is going to be best but without having a budget its impossible to know what is going to be possible. You could get a product that will do what you want but you would need to make compromises whereas a bespoke option would be able to do everything you want it to do the way you want to do it. With products like this you get what you pay for if its free thats probably all its worth. For this sort of product I would be expecting to be paying at least €1k/year for an entry level product that will do the job with some compromises and you could probably spend as much as you wanted on a bespoke option.

jimmii that is a very valid point, but I am at the stage of researching.
    if you can tell me what program can do what I want and can grow as the company grows I din't think my employer will have NO issue to purchase it.

I am looking for software names now, if anyone can recommend something good and solid with good phone support and training please share.

Graham I came here to seek some advice, I have no experience in this field that is why I am here to find out where to go and where to start.
    So far no one told me what programs would do what I require despite the cost.
    The company isn't big at the moment.
    We got bar code readers (Pocket PC) very cheap so I won't be crying here about this.

if you have so good constructive advice please share, if not thank you for your time.

The reason you are not getting good advice is you are not asking the right questions or providing anything like enough information.

From the limited information provided, you need some sort of Accounting/ERP/Stock Control/Bill of Materials system.

Have a look at Sage.ie

Sage 200 and Sage X3 both appear to support Bill of Materials and Stock Control.

You really have 2 choices for moving forward, go and learn about Accounting/ERP/BoM/Stock Control or bring someone in that already knows about them. I'd guess any of the Sage approved partners would fall over themselves to come and discuss your specific requirements, that alone is likely to give you a much better understanding of what you're actually looking for.

Graham, thank you for more precise answer.

is there only sage program that can do what I require?

any other programs can do it?
    what can you recommend?

is that a trade secret? :-)

Can you name me 2/3 programs each in the entry level, medium, and advanced I will go from there then.

what can you recommend?

Can you name me 2/3 programs each in the entry level, medium, and advanced I will go from there then.

what can you recommend?

I'm sure there are dozens of packages that do what you require, as soon as you've posted your exact requirements you'll likely get some more exact answers.

I've suggested how you can approach vendors of the type of solutions that may fit your requirements. Those vendors will probably be able to help you define your requirements properly.

There's no trade secret here, I'm sure I could find a bunch of people for you to talk to if you're considering implementing SAP or Oracle financials and you're ok with a daily rate of around €1,300 for their consultancy services.

Start working out what you need, then ask the question again. Sage would be one (if not) the largest player at the SME end of the market. Start there, it may give you more of an idea what you do/don't want/need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Sage 50 have barcode inventory solutions also, datalinx being the most popular

Company I work for implement such systems so ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

jimmii that is a very valid point, but I am at the stage of researching.
    if you can tell me what program can do what I want and can grow as the company grows I din't think my employer will have NO issue to purchase it.

I am looking for software names now, if anyone can recommend something good and solid with good phone support and training please share.

When I visited one of our larger suppliers they used Stitch which they spoke very highly of. Its pretty pricey but there's no cheap way to do this well I don't think.

Advertisement