Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for molds

Options
  • 30-01-2016 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking for place where a sturdy cubic mold can be done 12"x12"x12"
    mold has to be made out of material that doesn't lose shape, is strong, its walls can be opened to remove the contents, and will be durable and long lasting. It will be used for pouring liquids into it to change into solid cube.

I need 10-12 molds like that.

any advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Far too little information to give any useful direction. Is the liquid hot or cold? is pressure used? ability to release from mould? what kind of surface finish are you seeking to achieve? Simple answer is to have some fabricated from aluminium plate, but to get a perfect cube to release will be a challenge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

pedronomix wrote: »
    Far too little information to give any useful direction. Is the liquid hot or cold? is pressure used? ability to release from mould? what kind of surface finish are you seeking to achieve? Simple answer is to have some fabricated from aluminium plate, but to get a perfect cube to release will be a challenge!!

HI pedronomix, thanks for the feedback.
    I am researching at the moment and this is a bit of a fresh issue for me.
    it will be used for soap pouring.

at the moment I have wooden ones that lost its shape after few years,
    1. liquid - it is approx 30 C degrees when poured
    2. no pressure when pouring it
    3. release, threaded bar with wing nuts at the moment on back and front
    4. surface of the product after cooling- smooth
    5. wheels on the bottom
    6. perfect if they can be insulated

All suggestions of places where I can get it done or even get a quote would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

I would imagine any company that makes moulds for injection moulding could make them. E.g. http://www.pppireland.com/moulds.html

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Duckett

Injection moulds are made from hardened tool steel and machined from billet, extremely expensive and complete overkill. You have a design that works from fabricated timber, replicate in units made from fabricated/welded aluminium sheet. They will be low cost compared to the alternatives, and are hygienic and durable.

your sizes will rule out silicone moulds used in craft bar production like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/soap-moulds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

pedronomix wrote: »
    Injection moulds are made from hardened tool steel and machined from billet, extremely expensive and complete overkill. [/url]

They don't have to be made from steel and if you source them in China they're not too expensive. Considering that 12 moulds are needed I would imagine that they will be used to produce at least tens of thousands of units so would a metal mould not provide better performance in the long run versus a wooden one?

tacofries wrote: »
    They don't have to be made from steel and if you source them in China they're not too expensive. Considering that 12 moulds are needed I would imagine that they will be used to produce at least tens of thousands of units so would a metal mould not provide better performance in the long run versus a wooden one?

Read my post again, I advised using the wooden design to make aluminium fabricated mounds. Aluminium is a metal!

Advertisement