Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains Cable

Options
  • 31-01-2016 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi All
    Trying to get an electrican to call out but while im waiting i have a question

i bought a house that was built in 1987. the house is 1300 sqft ( 3 bed semi detached). The main trip switch is a 63a fuse. how do i know if i need to get the cable from the meter to the consumer unit upgraded.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tippgod wrote: »
    Hi All
    Trying to get an electrican to call out but while im waiting i have a question

i bought a house that was built in 1987. the house is 1300 sqft ( 3 bed semi detached). The main trip switch is a 63a fuse. how do i know if i need to get the cable from the meter to the consumer unit upgraded.

thanks

Check the size of this cable. At a minimum it should be a 16 sq. T & E. It would be unusual to require a larger cable for a house this size.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

Hi. thanks for the replay. There is two thick individual cables coming from the meter. roughly about 10mm thick, i will get a calipers and measure them later

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi. thanks for the replay. There is two thick individual cables coming from the meter. roughly about 10mm thick, i will get a calipers and measure them later

Can you post a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

They more than likely are 10sqmm. Is the cable Black/Red or Brown/Blue

Why do you feel the need to call and electrician/replace the cable?

Is their signs of charing or melting on the cable insulation? I've seen this before it usually only becomes apparent when an electric shower is installed putting a larger load on the main incomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

It's unusual that this cable would need to be replaced. Why do you think it may need replacing?

• Advertisement

If it was my house and the cable was a 10 sq. I would replace it with a minimum of a 16 sq.

I cant post a picture at the moment. I bought the house and am replacing the ceilings at the moment so it would be a good time , if I needed it ,to get the wires upgraded. there are no signs of heat damage or anything. There is an electric shower that the previous owner installed using 10sq twin and eath cable. That job was done by an electrican by the looks of it. is 10mm enough for the size of house?

I cant post a picture at the moment. I bought the house and am replacing the ceilings at the moment so it would be a good time , if I needed it ,to get the wires upgraded. there are no signs of heat damage or anything. There is an electric shower that the previous owner installed using 10sq twin and eath cable. That job was done by an electrican by the looks of it. is 10mm enough for the size of house?

10sqmm is more than enough for the shower but if the main incomer is only 10sq I'd upgrade it myself. Especially while you're doing work.

How much would an electrican charge to upgrade to 16mm cable. Roughly. The ceilings are down so straight forward enough run from the esb meter

How much would an electrican charge to upgrade to 16mm cable. Roughly. The ceilings are down so straight forward enough run from the esb meter

It probably wouldn't be very expensive for the electrician and you could save a few quid by running the cable from point to point yourself but agree this with the electrician in advance.

The ESB will also have to call out to disconnect/reconnect the meter and may require a test cert.

• Advertisement

if I ran it myself , would the esb connect it at point and point when they disconnect it?

if I ran it myself , would the esb connect it at point and point when they disconnect it?

No the ESB will connect their end but only when a cert is provided. They don't accept any responsibility for work carried out passed their meter.

You will need a fully registered electrician at some point.

There are important regulations relating to how cables are run as well as best practice. I would strongly suggest that you engage with an electrician ASAP as you have the ceilings down providing access that is unlikely to be available again for a very long time. This could save you money in the long run as an experienced electrician may spot issues that are easy to resolve now.

As stated above you will require the services of a Registered Electrical Contractor. If you don't do this you will not be in possession of a completion certificate and the ESB will not reconnect.

Remember also that regulations have changed considerably since this house was wired. For example this is the ideal opportunity to install the required number of some detectors. The addition of carbon monoxide detectors would be highly recommend too.

its only a section of the ceiling by the porch as we are moving the front door outwards. I will be getting an electrician but the builders are putting back up the ceiling in the next day or two. I hadn't thought about electrics at all until a friend said it to me in work. The ESB charge €168 to connect the wire to the meter. Hopefully I can get an electrican out in the next day or two and if not I will run a cable and leave him connect it to the consumer unit and then get the esb to connect it then. Hopefully the power will over be off for a few days in between

Advertisement