Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour FTB deposit top up of €6000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Good news for sellers. Prices just go up by 6 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

A child would see this is just a bribe with our own money and wont benefit the ftb one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Pkiernan wrote: »

Maybe thats the plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

This is the most idiotic thing I've read in a while. First time buyers seem to be in a pretty good position, why would they offer this handout. As other posters have said, this will just push up prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The problem in the market is rarely the first time buyer these days, it's the family in negative equity who bought a shoe box apartment in 2006 and can't afford to move up to a property suitable for for the three children they now have.

It's time to ditch ftb advantage and help more people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

They should give it to those selling one and two bed apartments and purchasing a larger abode, i.e. Encourage Trader uppers to actually trade up instead of becoming accidental landlords.

Also to anyone over the age of 55 who moves from a larger place to a smaller place.

That would do more to get the market moving then an Ftb incentive.

Agree! FTB probably in the best position they've been in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

FTB don't need this incentive. I'm hoping to be a FTB soon and the new rules have given us a goal and will stick by it. We won't be buying over what we can actually afford and this would only lead to prices going up. 140k house now would immediately go up 20/30k if they implement the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A child would see this is just a bribe with our own money and wont benefit the ftb one bit.

It's similar to the SSIA, except it'll be cost neutral in that between stamp duty and VAT on new homes they'll get the money back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dearg lady wrote: »
    This is the most idiotic thing I've read in a while. First time buyers seem to be in a pretty good position, why would they offer this handout. As other posters have said, this will just push up prices.

A pyramid scheme needs a constant expanding group of new entrants. When that stops, the bubble collapses. Most, if not all of our current group of TD's still think that a house should be worth double what it was 5 years ago and strive to bring back those days. Probably because most of them are heavily invested into property themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

While I am no admirer of Labour, people seem a bit negative here. This is an SSIA like bonus for saving. it shouldn't affect the amount of money lent, which is 80% of the price, if financial regulation is properly done (a big if, granted).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

ted1 wrote: »
    It's similar to the SSIA, except it'll be cost neutral in that between stamp duty and VAT on new homes they'll get the money back[/quote

They'd get the stamp duty and vat anyway. Except that the price of the home wont increase by 6k. The only one that wins is the builder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'm potentially one of the target market for this type of scheme. While it would be welcome for me individually I'm cautious of government intervention in the housing market. Their only role should be to build social houses, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

While I am no admirer of Labour, people seem a bit negative here. This is an SSIA like bonus for saving. it shouldn't affect the amount of money lent, which is 80% of the price, if financial regulation is properly done (a big if, granted).

If you have an extra €6,000 deposit, that would mean you could borrow an extra €24,000 on your mortgage (assuming the LTV figure was your limitation, not the LTI).

This will just make property more expensive.

I'm potentially one of the target market for this type of scheme. While it would be welcome for me individually I'm cautious of government intervention in the housing market. Their only role should be to build social houses, that's it.

My first house was bought with the 3k ftb that was given in the early 90s. I picked the house and just signed the ftb over to the builder. Only cash deposit required was an additional £100 on the day.
    Id say the majority of buyers were in the same boat that day and we were all buying off the plans.

I cannot say for sure if the same homes would have been 3k cheaper if there were no ftb. But I'd hazard a guess and say they would have.

Firstly I don't think the market needs any more tinkering, it seems to hve finally settled down a bit.

Secondly, why single out first time buyers?

I was dealing with a woman last week who bought a house down here in the west for 220k during the boom.
    The same house can be bought for less than 50k now.
    No need for the taxpayer to subsidise ftb for homes costing less than a high spec car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

There is no benefit to first time buyers through this scheme. They may get €6000 towards their deposit, however a Labour Government will fund this, along with their social welfare increases etc, through increased income taxes aimed at the mid level earners.

€6000 straight into the hand may seem attractive, but a Labour Government will cost you at least that through increased PAYE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Also at 1200 per year, it is going to be 5 full years before this money even starts coming through. The property market might look very different by then (prices and/or supply or or down significantly), as might people's financial situation (promotion, new job, redundancy etc.)

It's not going to make a bit of difference to the people out there who are hoping to buy in the next year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

The only way to help first time buyers is cheaper houses.

Everything else is a way to help people other than first time buyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

LiamoSail wrote: »
    There is no benefit to first time buyers through this scheme. They may get €6000 towards their deposit, however a Labour Government will fund this, along with their social welfare increases etc, through increased income taxes aimed at the mid level earners.

€6000 straight into the hand may seem attractive, but a Labour Government will cost you at least that through increased PAYE
    Have you read the manifesto then? I haven't heard any mention of increased taxes - quite the reverse in fact, with the commitment to reduce USC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

RainyDay wrote: »
    Have you read the manifesto then? I haven't heard any mention of increased taxes - quite the reverse in fact, with the commitment to reduce USC.

Apologies, I was referring to reality as oppose to Labour's pre-election promises

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Labour will be lucky to have 8 seats after the electiion, they're going to be an irrelevance anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You'll find the politics fora here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1657

Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

athtrasna wrote:
    The problem in the market is rarely the first time buyer these days, it's the family in negative equity who bought a shoe box apartment in 2006 and can't afford to move up to a property suitable for for the three children they now have.

athtrasna wrote:
    It's time to ditch ftb advantage and help more people.

I had the opportunity to buy a shoe box apartment in 2006. It barely suited my needs then and it was blatantly obvious it wouldn't suit my needs in the future.

I'm hoping to be a ftb buyer shortly. Why should greedy speculators who got burned get a helping hand ahead of me?

I'm ready to settle down with a partner and start a family. I want stability for my family in the form of my own 3 bed family home. I don't want to buy an apartment then flip it for a tidy profit.

I'm entering a highly unstable housing market created by feckless speculators. My income is taxed hugely to pay for a broken banking system.

People are quick to blame bankers for Ireland's woes, but not the morons who thought they could afford second and third houses.

I have little sympathy for a lot of the "accidental landlords".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Apologies, I was referring to reality as oppose to Labour's pre-election promises

So you're happy to take the promised top-up as gospel, while you ignore the rest of the promises because they don't suit your arguement. There's consistency for ya....

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Much better way would be to increase the local property tax for owners of multiple properties say 30-40+ or do the same as the UK and completely get rid of all interest relief on buy to let properties.

This will have the effect of getting many large holders of property to sell up and increase the supply on the market decreasing prices at the same time.

Long term what we need is more people able to buy property, more stable prices for the future and a large and competitive house market owned by mainly individuals in family homes rather than large foreign investment and hedge funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Pkiernan wrote: »

Didn't something like this happen about 10 years ago with the same price inflatiinary effect?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

McGaggs wrote: »
    Didn't something like this happen about 10 years ago with the same price inflatiinary effect?

First time buyer exemption from stamp duty up to €317,500. The amount of apartments advertised for €317,500 or €317,499 the following day was uncanny!

Advertisement