Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 General Election Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

If it was Deasy Halligan Butler and Cullanine it would be a disaster for Waterford. None of them have influence to protect Waterford university hospital or promote Waterford for investment in the government. Coffey is our best hope, already a cabinet minster and we have seen time and time again how counties with top level representation can have a greater say. If we didn't have Martin Cullen all those years ago there would be no ring road around the city or second bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

If it was Deasy Halligan Butler and Cullanine it would be a disaster for Waterford. None of them have influence to protect Waterford university hospital or promote Waterford for investment in the government. Coffey is our best hope, already a cabinet minster and we have seen time and time again how counties with top level representation can have a greater say. If we didn't have Martin Cullen all those years ago there would be no ring road around the city or second bridge.

What has he done for Waterford so far then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Hasn't protected Waterford much so far, why do you expect him to start now?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What if a positive tweet was equal to a vote in Waterford? You'd be surprised who wins :pac:

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Screen-Shot-2016-02-25-at-22.54.28.png

Thankfully tweets mean very little :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cabaal wrote:
    What if a positive tweet was equal to a vote in Waterford? You'd be surprised who wins

Nothing will really change from this election. All will be revealed tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

O Riain wrote: »
    Hasn't protected Waterford much so far, why do you expect him to start now?

My problem with the last government is that there was no unity behind Waterford's representatives. Deasy and Coffey don't really talk. Halligan is a law unto himself and Conway was just trying to do enough to get noticed. When you have 4 TDs trying to compete with, say 20 in Cork, and none of them are even communicating, then how can we stand a chance?

I wouldn't traditionally be a FG voter but those who say that Coffey has accomplished nothing really have not beet paying much attention over the past 12 months.

Mary Butler is a token selection from FF. They stuck two fingers up to Waterford when they didn't select a city candidate and I hope it backfires on them. The woman is not up to the political challenge yet and in fairness, how could she be? She was a housewife who suddenly found herself a Councillor. Not many people know her and she doesn't know enough about the issues.

Cullinane will get in, and he deserves to. Unfortunately he'll be less effective as s TD we be was as a senator and that's just because his voice will never be heard as much in the Dail as it was in the Seanad. When he gets in he's in for a rude awakening and might regret all those times he had a pop at the previous sitting TDs.

As a previous poster said, Halligan, butler, Cullinane and Deasy would be a disaster for Waterford...especially if Kenny is Taoiseach again.

As a previous poster said, Halligan, butler, Cullinane and Deasy would be a disaster for Waterford...especially if Kenny is Taoiseach again.

Oh Kenny will be in alright. Normal service will resume next week. At least we have the ould recovery to look forward to!

Well I was referring to the fact that with Kenny as the leader, Deasy hasn't a hope of getting a ministerial position, therefore Waterford will have no representation at the table.

I'm actually starting to worry about this election now. A vote for Mary Butler is a vote wasted.

I'm actually starting to worry about this election now. A vote for Mary Butler is a vote wasted.

I've been incredibly worried about this country for a long time, and sadly very little is changing. We 've got big problems to solve

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I've been incredibly worried about this country for a long time, and sadly very little is changing. We 've got big problems to solve

True, and none of the current crop of candidates have the remotest clue where to start.

• Advertisement

True, and none of the current crop of candidates have the remotest clue where to start.

I'd go a little further than that. Many of these issues are global, and nobody really knows what to do

It has been a very childish election campaign but one would hope that once a government is decided they will roll up their sleeves. Whomever gets in will become public enemy number one and Sinn Fein will spend the next couple of years, once again, shouting about how they could do it better. I think, that when Gerry Adams finally steps down (and most SF members want this to happen asap) then they may actually make up some part of the government in a couple of years time.

But on a local level, as a previous FF supporter, I can't believe that I'm telling anyone who'll listen to not vote for them this year. They are probably the only party whose canvassers (especially the local councillors) don't want Butler to get in. They are all waiting for their chance in the next elections. Mulligan, Quinlan...Murphy...they all hate each other and can't wait to get their chance to leave the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

It has been a very childish election campaign but one would hope that once a government is decided they will roll up their sleeves. Whomever gets in will become public enemy number one and Sinn Fein will spend the next couple of years, once again, shouting about how they could do it better. I think, that when Gerry Adams finally steps down (and most SF members want this to happen asap) then they may actually make up some part of the government in a couple of years time.

But on a local level, as a previous FF supporter, I can't believe that I'm telling anyone who'll listen to not vote for them this year. They are probably the only party whose canvassers (especially the local councillors) don't want Butler to get in. They are all waiting for their chance in the next elections. Mulligan, Quinlan...Murphy...they all hate each other and can't wait to get their chance to leave the council.

Was very surprised Milligan didn't get nomination and added to fact that butler is from same area as Coffey, just seems silly on both fronts.

I will agree it's been an extremely childish even embarrassing campaign but I think I've come to the conclusion that all of the main parties are done and dusted. All relics, all bringing too much baggage. It's time for new politics, new faces, young blood, but i dont Think irelands ready for that just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

If there's a hung dail, will we be presented with the same candidates in September? I would've imagined that Eddie Mulligan would've been hot favourite for a seat if he got the party's nod

If there's a hung dail, will we be presented with the same candidates in September? I would've imagined that Eddie Mulligan would've been hot favourite for a seat if he got the party's nod

I suspect a lot of the countries independents would fall off the list largely due to funding. Some parties would probably make some changes to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

I'm still undecided on no 2,3 and 4. Such poor options . Paudies our best bet of a senior ministry and Conway might climb the labour ladder if they are part of the next govt. Either way we are sorely missing city representation in govt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I'm still undecided on no 2,3 and 4. Such poor options . Paudies our best bet of a senior ministry and Conway might climb the labour ladder if they are part of the next govt. Either way we are sorely missing city representation in govt

I know what you mean. Logically I should give Coffey No.1 for the reason you say. However, because of the way Fine Gael has treated Waterford over the term I just can’t do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Max Powers wrote: »
    Was very surprised Milligan didn't get nomination and added to fact that butler is from same area as Coffey, just seems silly on both fronts.

She was put in to fulfil a gender quota if you ask me.
    If you want Waterford to have a voice at the cabinet table, Coffey needs your vote, regardless of what you think of FG

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

BBM77 wrote: »
    I know what you mean. Logically I should give Coffey No.1 for the reason you say. However, because of the way Fine Gael has treated Waterford over the term I just can’t do it.

The country was bankrupt when FG took office so they couldn't just wave a magic wand in Waterford. There are plenty other counties in the same boat. I'll be giving Coffee my number 1 as I hope he may get a ministry position in the next Dail term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The country was bankrupt when FG took office so they couldn't just wave a magic wand in Waterford. There are plenty other counties in the same boat. I'll be giving Coffee my number 1 as I hope he may get a ministry position in the next Dail term.

Thing is, a vote for Coffey is effectively saying that you agree with all the cuts and water charges imposed on the country since 2011. If he was the only option I wouldn't go near him. FG broke every promise in the book and they will do it again..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

So we should vote Coffey so he can get a higher position? Personally don't see him getting a ministerial position anyway but regardless a vote for Coffey is a vote for FG's policies if you don't agree with them then don't vote for Coffey.

Thing is, a vote for Coffey is effectively saying that you agree with all the cuts and water charges imposed on the country since 2011. If he was the only option I wouldn't go near him. FG broke every promise in the book and they will do it again..

Oh FFS what a stupid thing to say. The country was in a deplorable state and the only way to rebuild was with cuts. This type of attitude is exactly the problem in this country and its this type of attitude which is propelling a crowd of chancers (Sinn Féin) up the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Oh FFS what a stupid thing to say. The country was in a deplorable state and the only way to rebuild was with cuts. This type of attitude is exactly the problem in this country and its this type of attitude which is propelling a crowd of chancers (Sinn Féin) up the polls.

Can you please explain to me then why Fine Gael promised to reverse all the cuts imposed by Fianna Fail back in 2011?

Seems they were original chancers

No, that sounds like they were just plain naive. Can't believe I've defending FG in public.

No, that sounds like they were just plain naive. Can't believe I've defending FG in public.

Don't bother then. To say that the main opposition party didn't know the actual state of the countries finances is plain ignorance on your part OR WORSE plain ignorance on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Excuse me but I have personally been a victim of FGs wake of broken promises. Almost the moment they went into power, they increased 3rd level fees after promising they would not, they cut pensions, disabled peoples annual allowance, increased the salaries of the cronies or family members they hired into office after pledging not to, do you think that was acceptable or "part of the recovery"? They ddint touch the wealthier members of society and there were zero salary cuts for those in FG. Again, turned their back completely on the people who voted them in and only an incredibly naïve person would believe they have the peoples best interests at heart.

Again, not if he held a gun to my head would I give Coffey or any of his fellow FG parasites a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Under Coffey's supervision FG;
    • Removed our City Status
    • Undermined our Hospital
    • Lost the VEC Head Office to Wexford
    • Could not achieve 24/7 Heart care for Waterford
    • Did not deliver on University status
    • Oversaw limited visits by the IDA (less than elsewhere)
    • Still an Unemployment black spot

The list could go on.........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Under Coffey's supervision FG;
    • Removed our City Status
    • Undermined our Hospital
    • Lost the VEC Head Office to Wexford
    • Could not achieve 24/7 Heart care for Waterford
    • Did not deliver on University status
    • Oversaw limited visits by the IDA (less than elsewhere)
    • Still an Unemployment black spot

The list could go on.........

Shall we post a list of what he HAS done for Waterford? No? Remember, It was Labour who made all the promises. Fine Gael made it very clear Water Charges were coming in and Labour did their best to remind the voters of that too, pre-election.

What has Halligan done for Waterford? Or Cullinane? Shall we post a list of what they failed to do? I'll refer to your original list - they didn't do anything.

Advertisement