Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 General Election Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Sully wrote: »
    Shall we post a list of what he HAS done for Waterford? No? Remember, It was Labour who made all the promises. Fine Gael made it very clear Water Charges were coming in and Labour did their best to remind the voters of that too, pre-election.

What has Halligan done for Waterford? Or Cullinane? Shall we post a list of what they failed to do? I'll refer to your original list - they didn't do anything.

They weren't in government.. not that we know they'd have done differently if they were I suppose. I'd consider myself politically fairly neutral/centre but defending some of the stuff that has happened to Waterford that were acute, specific to us and not simply recession based is pure party over county idealogy. Of the 5 cities we were thrown to the wolves.

The list above is enough to make anyone with an ounce of pride in their city sit down and wonder why us. Maybe its because we didnt have a minister in the cabinet while other ministers picked the bones of Waterford to reduce the effects of the recession on their patch. Maybe not. Who knows.

Either way this city has been torn to bits in a way that other cities were not in the last 5 years. We deserved better and the capacity to be better served within the constraints of the recession was there.

I guess we'll know tomorrow if others feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Shall we post a list of what he HAS done for Waterford? No? Remember, It was Labour who made all the promises. Fine Gael made it very clear Water Charges were coming in and Labour did their best to remind the voters of that too, pre-election.

What has Halligan done for Waterford? Or Cullinane? Shall we post a list of what they failed to do? I'll refer to your original list - they didn't do anything.

Halligan fought tooth and nail for the former Waterford Crystal workers for a start. Ask any one of them where Paudie Coffey or Ciara Conway were when they were up at Leinster House trying to get the pensions that were owed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Sully are you joking? Halligan or Cullinane were not in government for the last 5 years. before the recession FG were spouting that FF were not spending enough! Enda Kenny promised a new type of politics, but what we got was the same in in some instances worse.
    Also FG have some of the most arrogant and out of touch people ever to sit in ministries in this country, Shatter, Hogan, O'Reilly just to name three are well on a par with the likes of Pee Flynn or Lawlor.
    FG claim they have turned the country around, when the recovery has been of a global nature. They also seem to think we should be obliged to them and those who are not are stupid.
    And as for your leader, he is definitely not a leader in any shape or form, he has hid for 5 years refusing until the last three weeks to debate, or to have an opinion and the clown cannot even speak without it being in writing in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

yes please.... list exactly what he has done while in government for Waterford...

robtri wrote: »
    yes please.... list exactly what he has done while in government for Waterford...

Ha ha, yes Sully, please do tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Ha ha, yes Sully, please do tell.

God I hope nobody else mentions the north quays. Its been knocked 27 times now and some fecker keeps putting it back up.

God I hope nobody else mentions the north quays. Its been knocked 27 times now and some fecker keeps putting it back up.

I think Sully has gone off to check with FG Central for some data on Paudie Coffeys achievements for Waterford.
    I think it could be after 10pm before he is back to us.

robtri wrote: »

You'll be waiting a while for that list I'd say...

Anyone know what time the count starts?

FFS Sully, people are here waiting on your response so as they can decide to vote for Paudie or not, only 43 mins left and it takes me 10 mins to get to the polling station, hurry up will ya boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

John Halligans dying with dignity bill and restorative justice bill are worth the first preference alone. His work on the Waterford crystal pensions was also excellent.
    The man is a credit to Waterford and has been one of the most credible members of opposition. The opposition you choose is just as important as the those we choose to run the show. A decision to stay in opposition is one that labour should've taken in 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

No, because the list I posted were crucial to the economic and social future of our City and they were trampled on by the last Government. Most of what he claimed to deliver was already in the pipe line from the previous administration.

And for the record I voted FG last time around. Like FF, never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Halligan fought tooth and nail for the former Waterford Crystal workers for a start. Ask any one of them where Paudie Coffey or Ciara Conway were when they were up at Leinster House trying to get the pensions that were owed to them.

Conway fought harder than Halligan did for the Waterford crystal workers. That's a fact. What ye al expected one man to achieve in a dail of 166 TDs is just mindnumbingly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,391 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

same ould ****e from next week then!

45% turnout reported in Waterford City as of 5pm this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Sully are you joking? Halligan or Cullinane were not in government for the last 5 years. before the recession FG were spouting that FF were not spending enough! Enda Kenny promised a new type of politics, but what we got was the same in in some instances worse.
    Also FG have some of the most arrogant and out of touch people ever to sit in ministries in this country, Shatter, Hogan, O'Reilly just to name three are well on a par with the likes of Pee Flynn or Lawlor.
    FG claim they have turned the country around, when the recovery has been of a global nature. They also seem to think we should be obliged to them and those who are not are stupid.
    And as for your leader, he is definitely not a leader in any shape or form, he has hid for 5 years refusing until the last three weeks to debate, or to have an opinion and the clown cannot even speak without it being in writing in front of him.
    Recovery global? Ask the Greeks. Or the Eurozone. Give FG a little credit. There has been a recovery and we're the fastest growing economy in Europe.

I'd agree with you about Shatter and O'Reilly though.

45% turnout reported in Waterford City as of 5pm this evening.

jasus thats poor. wheres all the marriage referendum people?

Recovery global? Ask the Greeks. Or the Eurozone. Give FG a little credit. There has been a recovery and we're the fastest growing economy in Europe.

im really getting sick of hearing this, i really am. 'recovery' is the most insulting thing ive ever heard coming from politicians.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im really getting sick of hear this, i really am. 'recovery' is the most insulting thing ive ever heard coming from politicians.
    You think things are no better than 5 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Not arsed but will piss and moan about the outcome I'm sure

You think things are no better than 5 years ago?

this is all very relative but largely no. yes theres more jobs around but all is not well, its really not well. we re caught in a trap and nobody really knows how to solve it

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Waterford turnout estimated 67 %

Waterford turnout estimated 67 %

now thats better. country average id say?

Wanderer78 wrote:
    now thats better. country average id say?

Lots of counties lower apparently. Meath west only 57% . These are estimates

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Same guys working at the election centres as per last few elections. Jesus himself would struggle to get a job at the count lol (all people in the knw lol)

this is all very relative but largely no. yes theres more jobs around but all is not well, its really not well. we re caught in a trap and nobody really knows how to solve it
    Fair enough. Can't argue too much with that. But it's still better. Is the glass half full or half empty?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Same guys working at the election centres as per last few elections. Jesus himself would struggle to get a job at the count lol (all people in the knw lol)

was invited to the count before. must take them up on that at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A early exit poll with serious health warning.
    2 FG
    FF
    Halligan/Cullinane

Fair enough. Can't argue too much with that. But it's still better. Is the glass half full or half empty?

dont know where to start to be honest but im extremely fearful. i really should stop checking out the work of some economists. :) things are definitely better on the jobs front but we have a lot of serious stuff to sort out in this country. ireland was in a really bad place a few years ago. its been devastating to watch. nobody really knows what the future holds but we have a lot of work to do

Exit poll from Rte. Fine gael hammered. 26% big loss of seats

• Advertisement

That was from Independent.ie as of 5 pm - we were actually one of the higher counties for voter turnout at that stage!

Seems as if we've gone up to over the mid sixties now. I'd say a lot of people voted after they finished work after 6 pm or so. It was 6.30 and I voting myself after fnishing work.

Advertisement