Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 General Election Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Reports in coming of a two Fine Gael politicians having it out at the bull post on Ballybricken. Over to you in the news room Mike Hunt.

Wouldn't be surprised to be honest, I commented on Coffeys Facebook that it was looking tight, so all the blurshirts attacked my opinion, deleted my negative assumption and blocked me! Talk about throwing the toys out of the pram.

Waterfords never been on the receiving end for years under successive government's and had always been looked over except during the last Dail when it was pillaged and plundered by neighbouring FG and LAB TDs and ministers while their Waterford colleagues hid in the shadows so they could get their committee snd ministerial positions! Thank God the electorate has noticed and voted to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just like the Cummins Dynasty. Filled with an odious sense of self-entitlement and superiority. No way should a 25 year old Fine Gael politician been made "mayor" twice within three years.
    Last time Waterford had a Sinn Féin TD was in 1923 when Caitlin Brugha was elected to the Dáil.
    wow...didn't know we had a woman elected here that far back
    Yeah same actually, She was the Wife of Cathal Brugha.

Hmmmmmmmm! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Jambo wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to be honest, I commented on Coffeys Facebook that it was looking tight, so all the blurshirts attacked my opinion, deleted my negative assumption and blocked me! Talk about throwing the toys out of the pram.

Waterfords never been on the receiving end for years under successive government's and had always been looked over except during the last Dail when it was pillaged and plundered by neighbouring FG and LAB TDs and ministers while their Waterford colleagues hid in the shadows so they could get their committee snd ministerial positions! Thank God the electorate has noticed and voted to change.

They are doing that nationwide, already seen a couple of sore losers on RTE, Mairead McGuinness, arrogant Pat Rabbitte and the slimey Brian Hayes

What a pity that Waterford has a female poll-topper this time, (the distaff side being so hip these days) she would be given a prominent position for the sake of window dressing but FF will not be part of the next Government short of a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

What a pity that Waterford has a female poll-topper this time, (the distaff side being so hip these days) she would be given a prominent position for the sake of window dressing but FF will not be part of the next Government short of a miracle.

You should put a bet on that. Paddy Power's odds wouldn't indicate a miracle is required.

• Advertisement

Would not be so sure of that.

The electorate has spoken and nearly 70% do not want the present government

Would not be so sure of that.

The electorate has spoken and nearly 70% do not want the present government

But equally they have not given FF or anyone else a ringing endorsement to govern.

FF Mary Butler elected
    Cullinane to follow
    John Halligan to follow
    FG have split the vote

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Mary Butler elected on the first count.

Breakdown of voting here:

http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/waterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Well done Mary Butler, and well done to people of Waterford for voting the strongest person and party in, I am a proud Deise man today.

• Advertisement

Imagine not being partisan and entirely objective instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

dzilla wrote: »
    Well done Mary Butler, and well done to people of Waterford for voting the strongest person and party in, I am a proud Deise man today.

Given the state FF left the country in....i am amazed how much FG are genuinely disliked.

Can't see the next govt making five years....no one with a clear enough majority outside of a FF/FG combo to avoid parish pump politics

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

19:41

Up to 80 ballot papers are understood to have been counted as spoiled votes as the papers weren't stamped by the presiding officer at the polling station. It is believed that those votes were not franked prior to being handed to the voters.

some people my god stupidity is not the word. Did i hear that 2 boxes went missing from Waterford ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

dzilla wrote: »
    Well f*ck off and move somewhere else

Yeah great attitude, unless you like things the way they are fcuk off elsewhere, the reason i'm down about it is because i do actually care about our city and i know that Butler and FF will do nothing for us or the city. If i was leaving Waterford i wouldn't give a ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

If ff had've ran 2 candidates in Waterford fg would've been goosed. Another junior ministry is perhaps the best we can hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

paudie and deasy fighting for the last seat.
    who will win?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

paudie and deasy fighting for the last seat.
    who will win?

who cares. it ll change nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

The people of Waterford have short memories. Whatever about electing Mary Butler to elect her as poll topper beggars belief.

homolumo wrote: »
    The people of Waterford have short memories. Whatever about electing Mary Butler to elect her as poll topper beggars belief.

Short memories and just goes to show that the ff vote merely went into hiding in 2011. They're back...

Mary Butler might be a great TD for Waterford, we have not had a decent Waterford TD since Martin Cullen.

Best of luck to Mary

Could be two TD's from Portlaw elected, Coffey the better of the two FG IMO, hopefully we will see the back of legacy politics with the elimination of Deasy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    19:41

Up to 80 ballot papers are understood to have been counted as spoiled votes as the papers weren't stamped by the presiding officer at the polling station. It is believed that those votes were not franked prior to being handed to the voters.

some people my god stupidity is not the word. Did i hear that 2 boxes went missing from Waterford ???
    I saw a figure of 400 on facebook (un stamped votes )

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    I saw a figure of 400 on facebook (un stamped votes )

do they know which polling station they came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Wasn't stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    Wasn't stated.
    a farce and plain stupidity and ignorance. the officer jobs was a simple task and he/she didnt do it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PTH2009 wrote: »
    a farce and plain stupidity and ignorance. the officer jobs was a simple task and he/she didnt do it :mad:

is there something more sinister at play here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

80 unmarked votes.
    Too close to call for last seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Never mind the spoiled votes, why don't some of those Presiding Officers step aside? Every single year for the past 20 years or so the same old faces handing out the papers, and most of them have very good jobs and huge pensions. One man there he's nearly 80 if he's a day, retired principal big massive pension and he doesn't need a cent. Disgraceful when you see all the young unemployed out there...

Short memories and just goes to show that the ff vote merely went into hiding in 2011. They're back...

Quite how a more or less unknown topped the poll....Is there regional break downs available??
    Showing which area elected who most etc??

Quite how a more or less unknown topped the poll....Is there regional break downs available??
    Showing which area elected who most etc??

Rte seems a decent source. Fg 25.9% national share ff 25% so far

• Advertisement

Rte seems a decent source. Fg 25.9% national share ff 25% so far

I do apologise....I mean in local areas....say percentage in portlaw,ballybeg,Dungarvan etc

Advertisement