Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 General Election Waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Rte seems a decent source. Fg 25.9% national share ff 25% so far

I do apologise....I mean in local areas....say percentage in portlaw,ballybeg,Dungarvan etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

David Cullinane has been elected on the 6th count.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

There were a lot of ballot sheets not stamped at the last election too. Someone's not doing their job and should not be allowed man the polling station again.

John Halligan has been elected on the 8th count.

Deasy looks set to take the fourth and final seat and has revealed that if he is elected he will 'definitely go for' the Ceann Comhairle role,

Distancing himself further from his party, he also said his success was down to 'purely personal work ethic' and said it was 'nothing to do with Fine Gael'. John Deasy also criticised the 'irrational fixation' with having a Minister in Waterford city, which he said along with the splitting of votes, reduced his overall vote.

He then went on the offensive against the Taoiseach, adding 'people know I'm not a fan of Enda'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

I almost hope it's a hung dail as I'd actively canvass against that self entitled prick. He's a disgrace to Waterford.

• Advertisement

I almost hope it's a hung dail as I'd actively canvass against that self entitled prick. He's a disgrace to Waterford.

I'd love to know how he keeps getting elected!

Nothing to do with any 'personal work ethic', that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Shocking comments from Deasy. Why doesn't he just leave the party then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

John Halligan has been elected on the 8th count.

Deasy looks set to take the fourth and final seat and has revealed that if he is elected he will 'definitely go for' the Ceann Comhairle role,

Distancing himself further from his party, he also said his success was down to 'purely personal work ethic' and said it was 'nothing to do with Fine Gael'. John Deasy also criticised the 'irrational fixation' with having a Minister in Waterford city, which he said along with the splitting of votes, reduced his overall vote.

He then went on the offensive against the Taoiseach, adding 'people know I'm not a fan of Enda'.

Do you have a source for that?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Do you have a source for that?

Reported on RTE site - taken from comments he made on a local radio station earlier.

http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/waterford/

Oh, and he's just been elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Reported on RTE site - taken from comments he made on a local radio station earlier.

http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/waterford/

Oh, and he's just been elected.

Nothing really new in any of that though? Everyone knows his position in FG.
    The comment about the ministerial fixation will get a few backs up alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

So Waterford has decided it doesn't want/need a minister. Hard to listen to people complaining in that case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

iseegirls wrote: »
    Shocking comments from Deasy. Why doesn't he just leave the party then?

To be fair to deasy he was somewhat shafted by Kenny due to backing the wrong horse in an leadership heave

As bad as he is...he is probably a better politatian than Coffey and Conway combined....though this as just an example of how bad those two are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

To be fair to deasy he was somewhat shafted by Kenny due to backing the wrong horse in an leadership heave

As bad as he is...he is probably a better politatian than Coffey and Conway combined....though this as just an example of how bad those two are

Can't see how u can say that when anything positive, investment, Ida manager, north quay etc came from Coffey.Coffey has achieved more than deasy has in his political life.already we can see that deasy is an empty suit up there and will not get anything fit Waterford, think its a shame people put personality before practicality when voting between the 2 FG lads.the Irish electorate are silly on that front and prefer a fella banging a table than one working more effectively out of the public glare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Gael23 wrote: »
    So Waterford has decided it doesn't want/need a minister. Hard to listen to people complaining in that case

Get over yourself, Coffey was never going to be a senior minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Waterford get the candidates they deserve.

Waterford get the candidates they deserve.

Yes, they got the candidates they voted for, which just for your information was not the out going government.

Its called democracy.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Can't see how u can say that when anything positive, investment, Ida manager, north quay etc came from Coffey.Coffey has achieved more than deasy has in his political life.already we can see that deasy is an empty suit up there and will not get anything fit Waterford, think its a shame people put personality before practicality when voting between the 2 FG lads.the Irish electorate are silly on that front and prefer a fella banging a table than one working more effectively out of the public glare.

You will have to breakdown that comment as to what it is you think he actually did, we had Sully on here the other night spouting the same 5hite, still waiting for Sully's list of Coffeys achievements

• Registered Users Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hopefully fg and ff tear each other apart when they finally get into bed together. might pull more voters away from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    hopefully fg and ff tear each other apart when they finally get into bed together. might pull more voters away from them

FF and FG in government could be disastrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Please do let us know exactly how HE got the IDA manager down here and also what exactly he has achieved with the north quays. Five years to get a bit of land rezoned is not much of an achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

bloody will be disastrous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

O Riain wrote: »
    Please do let us know exactly how HE got the IDA manager down here and also what exactly he has achieved with the north quays. Five years to get a bit of land rezoned is not much of an achievement.

Special designation is significantly more than rezoning.considering our other 2 were lame ducks, who else pushed it.he was the one making the announcements, he was the one working it.to say otherwise is like people saying we would have gotten the bridge, bypass and motorway without Cullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Really struggle to understand the mentality of voters who go into a ballet box and vote for Deasy. The guy does absolutely nothing for his constituents. His comments are a disgrace and he has effectively admitted that he has no intention or desire to serve Waterford by actively seeking the ceann comhairle job. This means we will be stuck with him for two terms and will only have three TDs for one of them.

You would really have to feel sorry for Coffey not getting a seat because of blind votes for Deasy. There's no excuse for Waterford people complaining about anything when we are electing lazy self serving individuals like Deasy. I certainly don't like Cullinanes politics but at least you know he will work hard for Waterford and that's the least you would expect from any TD. Ditto for Halligan. I know very little about Buttler so don't know what to expect from her but hopefully she repays the faith the voters gave her. The problem is there will be no-one at the table with the ability to actually really benefit us. It's been like that since Cullen left unfortunately and look what's happened Waterford in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Special designation is significantly more than rezoning.considering our other 2 were lame ducks, who else pushed it.he was the one making the announcements, he was the one working it.to say otherwise is like people saying we would have gotten the bridge, bypass and motorway without Cullen.

Time will tell. 5 years on and demolition work has barely started. If in 5 years there's serious work going on then I'll come on here and congratulate Paudie. Otherwise ill take this announcement as I take every other announcement in Waterford, with a tonne of salt.

I suggest you do the same.

Looking back he would have been better then Deasy though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I had an idea Deasy vote would continue to slide but I don't think anyone expected the plummet. I think that speaks volumes about his candidacy and puts his seat at serious risk going forward (assuming he isn't elected Ceann Comhairle). In his interview, he felt that the Ministerial talk impacted him - of course it did. People want someone who can deliver. You can't deliver if you're not looked at for a decent post or shoved in as Ceann Comhairle. Paudie was a Junior Minister in the final year and a half of his first term in the Dail!

I'd say some within Fianna Fail Waterford are devastated with the result as it greatly impacts on their chances, which they desperately wanted in this election. But overall, a good day for the party in fairness to get such a strong vote in a constituency they have always neglected and ignored. There the reason why Waterford is dubbed "the forgotten City" and why we have seen serious lack of investment in the City including being one of the worst constituency for job creation. But the people gave her a mandate and she's made a lot of commitments so lets see how she does delivering or where she will be at within Fianna Fail.

A good day for Sinn Fein but you would think they would have toppled Fianna Fail completely - they failed in 2011 to take a seat (4th time lucky!) despite the HUGE backlash against the government and while they managed to get past the government candidates this time around, Fianna Fail still hammered them at the polls here. Questions have to be asked as to how they just can't capitalise on the anti-government / establishment sentiment. Not sure I would consider his seat 'Safe' despite the strong vote.

And notably, the very left didn't make any worthwhile dent in the elections. You'd have expected there might be room for them in Waterford. DDI (less than 200 votes!) and PBB (taken out by the Green Party!!) - wiped out.

Interesting times ahead but for Waterford, think it's pretty certain we won't see any real progress or change down here if this plays out the way it's looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

Sully wrote: »

Interesting times ahead but for Waterford, think it's pretty certain we won't see any real progress or change down here if this plays out the way it's looking!

I think you are right, stick Coffey and Conway back in cos they made a real positive impact on the county over the last 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

And Fine Gael and Labour was a marriage made in heaven?

Whoever goes in together will have a great task before them and I
    wish them the very best but the people have had enough of cuts and
    additional charges and taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

And Fine Gael and Labour was a marriage made in heaven?

Whoever goes in together will have a great task before them and I
    wish them the very best but the people have had enough of cuts and
    additional charges and taxes.

I never said Fine Gael and Labour and were a marraige made in heaven nor did I support the coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Sully wrote: »
    I had an idea Deasy vote would continue to slide but I don't think anyone expected the plummet. I think that speaks volumes about his candidacy and puts his seat at serious risk going forward (assuming he isn't elected Ceann Comhairle). In his interview, he felt that the Ministerial talk impacted him - of course it did. People want someone who can deliver. You can't deliver if you're not looked at for a decent post or shoved in as Ceann Comhairle. Paudie was a Junior Minister in the final year and a half of his first term in the Dail!

I'd say some within Fianna Fail Waterford are devastated with the result as it greatly impacts on their chances, which they desperately wanted in this election. But overall, a good day for the party in fairness to get such a strong vote in a constituency they have always neglected and ignored. There the reason why Waterford is dubbed "the forgotten City" and why we have seen serious lack of investment in the City including being one of the worst constituency for job creation. But the people gave her a mandate and she's made a lot of commitments so lets see how she does delivering or where she will be at within Fianna Fail.

A good day for Sinn Fein but you would think they would have toppled Fianna Fail completely - they failed in 2011 to take a seat (4th time lucky!) despite the HUGE backlash against the government and while they managed to get past the government candidates this time around, Fianna Fail still hammered them at the polls here. Questions have to be asked as to how they just can't capitalise on the anti-government / establishment sentiment. Not sure I would consider his seat 'Safe' despite the strong vote.

And notably, the very left didn't make any worthwhile dent in the elections. You'd have expected there might be room for them in Waterford. DDI (less than 200 votes!) and PBB (taken out by the Green Party!!) - wiped out.

I don't think Coffey had any substance behind him, certainly I cannot find out what he did before being elected in 2011 or what education qualifications he had.
    Deasy has a real opportunity now as Kenny will be gone. but he may be better to go for CC. That said under secret ballot he may not get elected as I do not believe he is the most popular with his colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

the water meter fiasco was paudies downfall

Advertisement