Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 General Election Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Slightly bad form from to lump him in with the brother (???) when there's no info/suggestion he was up to it

Definitely not suggesting he's involved in the crimes but I'm referring back to the fact that when the crime was initially reported, there was obvious political interference/influence from the Kenneally family as part of the investigation. Given this interference, I can't imagine the family would have much political influence anymore?
    Survivors Jason Clancy and Colin Power said they were “amazed” to learn that when the family of another abuse victim, identified as W, went to gardaí in 1987, a meeting was arranged between senior officers and Kenneally, through his uncle, former Fianna Fáil TD, the late Billy Kenneally.

Mr Clancy said: “I know back in 1987 if I was Bill Kenneally’s age, if there was a complaint made against me, I don’t think they would be going to ring my uncle, I think they’d be coming straight to me but that is the way the Kenneallys were treated back in the day.

“It should have been followed through. All the gardaí had to do at the time was follow Bill Kenneally one night and if they were out by his favourite spot, which was the New Ross lay-by, they would have got him red-handed any time they wanted to.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

AdMMM wrote: »
    Definitely not suggesting he's involved in the crimes but I'm referring back to the fact that when the crime was initially reported, there was obvious political interference/influence as part of the investigation.

Jesus the 80s were a weird time!

Though tbf there's no inclination that Kennelly (politation today) was anyway involved

I wouldn't vote for him either way....but it's as bad to not vote for someone pure based on who's their related to....every bit as bad as tds inheriting their seat

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I see Halligans name is in the mix for Ceann Comhairle! He'd effectively reduce our representation to three if he got it.

Anyway, sorry to drag everything off topic.

As for the election, it's worth keeping in mind that FF outperformed the opinion polls on election day but underperformed in Waterford. Had Fine Gael and Labour not performed so poorly in the week running up to election, we would have seen FF poll around 20% and Butler poll around 16% in Waterford - by my reckoning that was the minimum she would have required to take a seat. Now that would have made for a very interesting count!

I think the fall from grace for Labour was astonishing. They had 18% share of the vote in Waterford in 2011... that fell to just 4.5% in 2016. Fine Gael in the meantime, must be kicking themselves for not getting Coffey across the line. He was clearly their preferred candidate.

I honestly think this election was lost for both FG and Lab in 2011. They were given an open goal by FF and were on course for massive gains regardless of what happened but if you can remember back to then, they both got greedy. They didn't have to make grand promises, but they did. All in their own selfish attempts to try get a majority in the Dáil - "Labours Way, or Frankfurt's Way" and Enda's "Five Point Plan". I honestly think that FG and Labour would still be in government now had they not made those promises prior to the last election and then spectacularly under-delivered on them throughout those five years. I don't actually think they did that bad a job given the hand they were dealt, but the problem is that every A&E that they said they'd keep open that closed, or allowance that they said would remain untouched that was cut, they gave Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail plenty of ammunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Sully wrote: »
    I see Halligans name is in the mix for Ceann Comhairle! He'd effectively reduce our representation to three if he got it.

Same as Deasy obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Same as Deasy obviously.

Theirs an elephant in the room....deis deady really count as representation when he don't do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Theirs an elephant in the room....deis deady really count as representation when he don't do anything

Are you drunk?

He makes a good point though. Deasy helps out people in Dungarvan on a local love and is good on the PAC, but what has he done for Waterford? Could you name a couple of things?

He's potentially about to reduce Waterford to a three TD county, all the while stepping into a job for life. And the people of Waterford knowingly let this happen.

5 TDs in Wexford and soon to be 3 in Waterford. We haven't a hope, especially when Mary Butler and John Halligan are two of those TDs. Another election please and thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

He makes a good point though. Deasy helps out people in Dungarvan on a local love and is good on the PAC, but what has he done for Waterford? Could you name a couple of things?

He's potentially about to reduce Waterford to a three TD county, all the while stepping into a job for life. And the people of Waterford knowingly let this happen.

5 TDs in Wexford and soon to be 3 in Waterford. We haven't a hope, especially when Mary Butler and John Halligan are two of those TDs. Another election please and thank you!

This is the idiocy of the electorate, choice between Coffey who actually achieved a few things Waterford or some renegade who has achieved nothing for Waterford.I really hope he doesn't get CC job as we won't have chance to get rid of him. We need every td we have fighting fir Waterford, deasy and halligan are non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Max Powers wrote: »
    This is the idiocy of the electorate, choice between Coffey who actually achieved a few things Waterford...

What did Coffey actually achieve for Waterford?

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    What did Coffey actually achieve for Waterford?

Coffey achieved much and the fact that it has to be repeated often makes me think people just make their vote without doing any proper, sensible, fair research into candidates.special designation for north quays, demolition started, movement on boundary issue, fire station, Courthouse,ida manager , plus there are other things that he helped/supported and was probably vital for because no one would even talk to deasy and conway +halligan may as well have not been called TDs from Waterford as they did nowt.

Coffey achieved much and the fact that it has to be repeated often makes me think people just make their vote without doing any proper, sensible, fair research into candidates.special designation for north quays, demolition started, movement on boundary issue, fire station, Courthouse,ida manager , plus there are other things that he helped/supported and was probably vital for because no one would even talk to deasy and conway +halligan may as well have not been called TDs from Waterford as they did nowt.
    giphy.gif

I think you're incredibly naive to believe that he was the crucial deciding factor behind those.

You also insult a lot of people who voted for other candidates. Just because the vast majority of people didn't vote for the same candidate as you doesn't mean that they didn't carry out proper, sensible and fair research.

In fact, I'd nearly congratulate every voter who decided that they weren't going to believe whatever self-congratulatory Fine Gael press release appeared in the papers every week or the sheer propaganda of the country turning to chaos if Fine Gael weren't returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

This is the idiocy of the electorate, choice between Coffey who actually achieved a few things Waterford or some renegade who has achieved nothing for Waterford.I really hope he doesn't get CC job as we won't have chance to get rid of him. We need every td we have fighting fir Waterford, deasy and halligan are non existent.

What about all the work Deasy did to bring the abuse in foster care homes to light? That counts for nothing??

I was expecting this answer. I suspect it is stemming from an ad that was in the local papers the week of the election. When you look at what he claimed credit for he actually achieved little.

Special designation for north quays – Carrot dangling on his part nothing concrete has happened, most of the work on this was done by the city & county council.

Demolition started on north quays – Taking credit for work done by city & county council to get this done.

Movement on boundary issue – Jury is still out, it is just carrot dangling at present.

Fire station & Courthouse – The process and the final go ahead was given to get these built before Coffey was a junior minister, he had virtually nothing to do with them.

IDA manager – Can’t remember now but don’t think he was junior minister when she was appointed.

Plus there are other things that he helped/supported – Just waffle with nothing to back it up.

He also claimed credit for the palliative care unit and the new unit in St Patricks which the process for was started long ago. Only planning permissions were submitted which is just the next step in the process that was going to happen anyway. Again carrot dangling, a long way to go before they are built and operational.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    What about all the work Deasy did to bring the abuse in foster care homes to light? That counts for nothing??

Short answer to that jeff is it doesn't put bread on the table.seems cruel but most people think about issues affecting me and my family primarily.if you vote on issues such as exposing abuse,8th amendment, right to die etc then you have a lot more compassion than I.

I was expecting this answer. I suspect it is stemming from an ad that was in the local papers the week of the election. When you look at what he claimed credit for he actually achieved little.

Special designation for north quays – Carrot dangling on his part nothing concrete has happened, most of the work on this was done by the city & county council.

Demolition started on north quays – Taking credit for work done by city & county council to get this done.

Movement on boundary issue – Jury is still out, it is just carrot dangling at present.

Fire station & Courthouse – The process and the final go ahead was given to get these built before Coffey was a junior minister, he had virtually nothing to do with them.

IDA manager – Can’t remember now but don’t think he was junior minister when she was appointed.

Plus there are other things that he helped/supported – Just waffle with nothing to back it up.

He also claimed credit for the palliative care unit and the new unit in St Patricks which the process for was started long ago. Only planning permissions were submitted which is just the next step in the process that was going to happen anyway. Again carrot dangling, a long way to go before they are built and operational.
    Reads like...
    Sure the motorway and bridge and investment in wit would have happened without cullen.everything that happened had nothing to do with him.
    We have been trying fir years to get movement on those issues and when something happens you are not happy, these are all major steps.

Reads like...
    Sure the motorway and bridge and investment in wit would have happened without cullen.everything that happened had nothing to do with him.
    We have been trying fir years to get movement on those issues and when something happens you are not happy, these are all major steps.

That is complete rubbish and you know it. Cullen did achieve things for Waterford, things that can be directly attributed to him being a senior minister. When you look at the so called achievements of Coffey they are in reality mostly credit taking and carrot dangling. I can’t see what you are basing this support for Coffey on other than being a junior minister and the carrot dangling of maybe becoming a senior minister, which there is nothing wrong with. However, the informed reality of his “achievements” is that they were not really his achievements.

That is complete rubbish and you know it. Cullen did achieve things for Waterford, things that can be directly attributed to him being a senior minister. When you look at the so called achievements of Coffey they are in reality mostly credit taking and carrot dangling. I can’t see what you are basing this support for Coffey on other than being a junior minister and the carrot dangling of maybe becoming a senior minister, which there is nothing wrong with. However, the informed reality of his “achievements” is that they were not really his achievements.

You dismissed every investment in Waterford the past few years as having nothing to do with our most senior/best connected td....I think u know that is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

What can be achieved this Dail term for Waterford?

I'm a little worried to be honest. I taught Coffee was our best bet for a ministry in the next government.

Halligan and Cullinane are two whingers and will achieve very little. I know nothing about Mary Butler but expect little return.

You dismissed every investment in Waterford the past few years as having nothing to do with our most senior/best connected td....I think u know that is rubbish.

Wait, so you think every time a business like Maxol on the Dunmore Road decided to open or a company in the industrial estate opted to expand their premises is all thanks to Paudie's Devine Intervention?

I've got news for you - a lot of small businesses have opened and expanded due to their owners' hard work and sacrifices. I can only imagine their fury at seeing Paudie's face smiling back from a flyer that claims his JUNIOR Ministerial position was responsible for that!

Likewise, we're seeing a pickup in manufacturing because of an uplift in GLOBAL demand! If you think Paudie got on the blower to the FDA in the USA and kindly asked them to approve drugs for commercial distribution in the USA then you're deluded.

I will give him some credit though. He probably did have a hand in securing funding for the new fire station in his hometown. That was nice of him.

• Advertisement

A whistleblower did the work to highlight the abuse, not Deasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Reads like...

Sorry the bridge was a waste of €400 million.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Wait, so you think every time a business like Maxol on the Dunmore Road decided to open or a company in the industrial estate opted to expand their premises is all thanks to Paudie's Devine Intervention?

I've got news for you - a lot of small businesses have opened and expanded due to their owners' hard work and sacrifices. I can only imagine their fury at seeing Paudie's face smiling back from a flyer that claims his JUNIOR Ministerial position was responsible for that!

Likewise, we're seeing a pickup in manufacturing because of an uplift in GLOBAL demand! If you think Paudie got on the blower to the FDA in the USA and kindly asked them to approve drugs for commercial distribution in the USA then you're deluded.

I will give him some credit though. He probably did have a hand in securing funding for the new fire station in his hometown. That was nice of him.

Here's a little news for u, your post had nothing to do with my or other people's posts...we didn't mention FDI or small businesses.

I actually don’t know what you are on about at this stage. I did not dismiss anything. I simply pointed out that the Coffey was simply not in the position to apply the influence he and you are claiming he had on the delivery of the projects you listed. You can’t come on here and call people who did not vote the way you did stupid based on a frankly fanciful level of achievement by a TD and expect to be taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

What can be achieved this Dail term for Waterford?

I'm a little worried to be honest. I taught Coffee was our best bet for a ministry in the next government.

Halligan and Cullinane are two whingers and will achieve very little. I know nothing about Mary Butler but expect little return.

Halligan and Cullinane will do a fine job representing the Waterford people. Halligan was relected and Cullinane became our first Sinn Féin TD since 1923. Waterford does not government bobble-heads, we need people who will fight for this semmingly forgotten city. There's a good reason, Coffey, and Conway lost their seats.

Halligan and Cullinane will do a fine job representing the Waterford people. Halligan was relected and Cullinane became our first Sinn Féin TD since 1923. Waterford does not government bobble-heads, we need people who will fight for this semmingly forgotten city. There's a good reason, Coffey, and Conway lost their seats.

Let us revisit this so and I hope you'll be able to list all the things that both achieved as TDs. In fact, you may as well tell me what Halligan did in the last 5 years.

I actually don’t know what you are on about at this stage. I did not dismiss anything. I simply pointed out that the Coffey was simply not in the position to apply the influence he and you are claiming he had on the delivery of the projects you listed. You can’t come on here and call people who did not vote the way you did stupid based on a frankly fanciful level of achievement by a TD and expect to be taken seriously.

I don't think it can be put any clearer /simpler in my last message.

Saw cullinane on week in review over weekend, no denying he's a good speaker however halligan and himself will achieve F-all for Waterford except a lot of talk.if in doubt, look at what halligan achieve for us in last few years...sod all.
    If you're idea of a fine job is a lot of talk without anyone listening, they are ideal...that's prob a little unfair to cullinane only for possibility that when SF get rid of Gerry, they will surely get some power in next ten years, he would be possibly senior by then.
    Re bobble heads...in order to get power in Irish politics, you have to pay your dues, support the party decisions even if you know they are unpopular in your constituency and nationally and you will start moving up the ladderand be in a position to get things done for your constituency, it's a long game,that's theway it works normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Coffey gave assurances that wind mills would not be built in a certain area of Waterford and he went back on his word when permission had been given MONTHS before but he didn't want this getting out during is campaign. Good riddance to him, full of hot air like most of his ilk.

• Advertisement

Here's a little news for u, your post had nothing to do with my or other people's posts...we didn't mention FDI or small businesses.
    Ummm, you were talking about investments in Waterford and I bring up FDI. The 'I' stands for "investment" there, so I don't know how you could possibly think my response was unrelated?? As for local businesses expanding, that's the end-result of an investment by the business. I'm sorry that this harsh truth doesn't fit your "Paudie is king" narrative.

Advertisement