Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 General Election Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

O Riain wrote: »
    What did Halligan employ his relatives to do and were they involved in any government agencies before he employed them?
    I think every td and party are the same on this front and its very worthwhile pointing out that that includes some would think holier than thou independents and SF.
    at the end of the day, they are entitled to an assistant so why wouldn't they pick a friend or f family member, they need to trust the person and its giving back to the people who helped get u elected....we would all same for family friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

John Deasy will never do anything for Waterford. He has been there along time now and is every bit as lazy and narky since first taking over from his father Austin. There's a stubborn vote for him in Waterford due to his father been a good minister unlike that useless lazy son John.

Even if by some long shot he did become a minister I suspect he would do **** all for the city and would focus on the West of the county despite the vast majority living in the environs of Waterford. It was gas to hear him blaming his vote being down on the city's "irrational obsession with a cabinet minister".Nothing to do with the fact that he is a useless c%nt whose voters effectively turn this into a three seat constituency. He has some sense of entitlement to the peoples vote and seemingly no capacity to understand that he has to earn it and the power base of the county is in Waterford City.

It is no surprise he is Enda Kenny's nemesis so to speak. Both practically inherited their seats from Daddy. One became leader of their party practically by accident. While Deasy took the opportunity he had for granted and pissed his career against the wall by trying to smoke a cigarette in Dail Eireann.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Sorry the bridge was a waste of €400 million.

The bridge wasn't a waste. The fact that they tolled it made it a waste. This is no different to any of the motorway toll roads with the exception of the M50 West Link maybe and which was completely predictable.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Saw cullinane on week in review over weekend, no denying he's a good speaker however halligan and himself will achieve F-all for Waterford except a lot of talk.if in doubt, look at what halligan achieve for us in last few years...sod all.
    If you're idea of a fine job is a lot of talk without anyone listening, they are ideal...that's prob a little unfair to cullinane only for possibility that when SF get rid of Gerry, they will surely get some power in next ten years, he would be possibly senior by then.
    Re bobble heads...in order to get power in Irish politics, you have to pay your dues, support the party decisions even if you know they are unpopular in your constituency and nationally and you will start moving up the ladderand be in a position to get things done for your constituency, it's a long game,that's theway it works normally.

It only works that way because we don't punish the f*cktards for making it this way. It wasn't that way with Cullen.He managed to make a bargain by jumping ship from the PD's. This is the way to go in the current environment. We can't afford to keep electing paper weights to DE while scumbags like Brendan Howlin steal regional resources in Waterford (Where they are best located) to feather his own power base. Not even his own constituency because his vote came predominately from around Wexford town. Everyone else there wouldn't touch him! Similar for Phil Hogan! It is very telling that 40% of KK (Highest in the country) gave their first preference to FF. Who's betting that's because his parochial antics only benefited those in KK city area. The practicality of real life being that for half that county services are better delivered from Waterford and thus the removal of services for Waterford was effectively also a removal from KK. However don't expected the muck savages that manage to get elected in this country join the dots. Expect the same attitude where a senior minister blames protesters for protesting because he is "from Kilkenny" instead of the antipathy he frequently showed towards his neighbouring county and the countries citizens in general.

Labour 7 seats and almost losing speaking rights! It is nearly worth seeing Brendan Howlin re-elected to know that he will sit in DE knowing (but publicly in denial) that he destroyed his own party.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

It only works that way because we don't punish the f*cktards for making it this way. It wasn't that way with Cullen.He managed to make a bargain by jumping ship from the PD's. This is the way to go in the current environment. We can't afford to keep electing paper weights to DE while scumbags like Brendan Howlin steal regional resources in Waterford (Where they are best located) to feather his own power base. Not even his own constituency because his vote came predominately from around Wexford town. Everyone else there wouldn't touch him! Similar for Phil Hogan! It is very telling that 40% of KK (Highest in the country) gave their first preference to FF. Who's betting that's because his parochial antics only benefited those in KK city area. The practicality of real life being that for half that county services are better delivered from Waterford and thus the removal of services for Waterford was effectively also a removal from KK. However don't expected the muck savages that manage to get elected in this country join the dots. Expect the same attitude where a senior minister blames protesters for protesting because he is "from Kilkenny" instead of the antipathy he frequently showed towards his neighbouring county and the countries citizens in general.

Labour 7 seats and almost losing speaking rights! It is nearly worth seeing Brendan Howlin re-elected to know that he will sit in DE knowing (but publicly in denial) that he destroyed his own party.

nice rant, but if you invent multi seat PR-STV you almost guarantee that TDs compete with each other to favour their electorate.

you cant blame Howlin , he's just very good at what he does, which is being a local TD that happens to be a minister

Labour will return with 10+ seats and float up to their traditional levels now that their are in opposition for the next 10-20 years as we will have centre /centre right FF FG Govs

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    nice rant, but if you invent multi seat PR-STV you almost guarantee that TDs compete with each other to favour their electorate.

you cant blame Howlin , he's just very good at what he does, which is being a local TD that happens to be a minister

Labour will return with 10+ seats and float up to their traditional levels now that their are in opposition for the next 10-20 years as we will have centre /centre right FF FG Govs

Wrong! The abuse of priviledge by the likes of Howlin, Hogan and James Reily has utterly destroyed their respective parties. PRS TV does not automatically enable parochialism to that degree. These people could haver gone down in history by taking an opportunity their huge mandates gave them to create a transparent Republic and retaining the PRS STV. A list system for cabinet ministers for example or the cabinet posts being taken from Seanad appointments. Their are numerous ways it could have been done. And I wouldn't, t get any high hopes for Labour. The emergence of SF and the decimation Labour already received at a local level might put them in terminal decline courtesy of the electorate not a "nice rant"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Deasy is probably one of the best representatives this constituency has ever had.

Max Powers, if that is your real name, you're beginning to sound like your alias Homer more and more.

Are you ACTUALLY serious??!! The quiet man in the dail, heard only before the election. Then AFTER the election wanted to be CC. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The bridge wasn't a waste. The fact that they tolled it made it a waste. This is no different to any of the motorway toll roads with the exception of the M50 West Link maybe and which was completely predictable.

It was a waste, and bad design compounded it. Driving to Adrkeen, or Tramore it is faster, cheaper and shorter to go through the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Chiparus wrote:
    It was a waste, and bad design compounded it. Driving to Adrkeen, or Tramore it is faster, cheaper and shorter to go through the city.

Was designed to take traffic away from city not to be faster. Probably would have been more successful if wasn't tolled. Wouldn't blame people for not using it. People pay enough taxes.

It wan't a waste. And your statement about design shows your complete absence of knowledge about what the bridge is supposed to do as well as being an acknowledgement that the toll is the problem. It is to remove traffic destined to Cork and the West and originating from Rosslare from the Cities roads. It was not for moving traffic in Waterford around Waterford.

But be honest if it was crossing the Slaney you would think it was the best thing since Christ and you would be on here telling us it was providing employment to Waterford people during its construction if people were complaining. This is what you were doing when Brendan Howlin was throwing money at Wexford A&E while at the same time trying to downgrade WRH a hospital that is as important to Wexford and more important to vast swathes of it.. But thank goodness this excuse of a politician is back on the back benches where he belongs and will probably stay for the next 20 years if he hangs around that long.I presume you will be objecting to the New Ross bypass considering it is the same type of bridge bypassing a town one tenth the size of Waterford.

• Advertisement

It wan't a waste. And your statement about design shows your complete absence of knowledge about what the bridge is supposed to do as well as being an acknowledgement that the toll is the problem. It is to remove traffic destined to Cork and the West and originating from Rosslare from the Cities roads. It was not for moving traffic in Waterford around Waterford.

But be honest if it was crossing the Slaney you would think it was the best thing since Christ and you would be on here telling us it was providing employment to Waterford people during its construction if people were complaining. This is what you were doing when Brendan Howlin was throwing money at Wexford A&E while at the same time trying to downgrade WRH a hospital that is as important to Wexford and more important to vast swathes of it.. But thank goodness this excuse of a politician is back on the back benches where he belongs and will probably stay for the next 20 years if he hangs around that long.I presume you will be objecting to the New Ross bypass considering it is the same type of bridge bypassing a town one tenth the size of Waterford.
    Where do you think I am from?
    I live in Waterford.
    And as for downgrading WRH/UHW i think that was down to certain clinicians and politicians in waterford wanting it to be the hind teat of Cork rather than regional hospital it was .
    Prohlem for many Waterford people is that they are fighting stupid county jersey battles with Wexford and Kilkenny , when services will be taken away to cork and Dublin.

The bridge was a waste , perhaps when it links up with your New ross bypass it will be busier , but it should have been directly linked to the m9.

As for cheaper, the increased journey was costing over a euro in fuel added to the toll. so a commercial vehicle would be paying an extra €5 per journey to Ardkeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I live in Waterford.
    And as for downgrading WRH/UHW i think that was down to certain clinicians and politicians in waterford wanting it to be the hind teat of Cork rather than regional hospital it was .
    Prohlem for many Waterford people is that they are fighting stupid county jersey battles with Wexford and Kilkenny , when services will be taken away to cork and Dublin.

The bridge was a waste , perhaps when it links up with your New ross bypass it will be busier , but it should have been directly linked to the m9.

As for cheaper, the increased journey was costing over a euro in fuel added to the toll. so a commercial vehicle would be paying an extra €5 per journey to Ardkeen.

The bridge was never seen as a different route if going to ardkeen from wex side but more suitable if heading to n25/cork.it is direrctly linked to the m9 unless you count 100m from off/on ramp indirect. To sum up, to say it is a waste is crazy talk, we campaigned for a second river crossing for 30+ years, it is diverting heavy vehicles out of the city centre, added to that it was a ppp so the cost was minimal to the tax payer, sure it's tolled,I happily pay it to avoid the city centre if I'm heading towards ida/cork road/ORR areaand find it dead handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Max Powers wrote: »
    The bridge was never seen as a different route if going to ardkeen from wex side but more suitable if heading to n25/cork.it is direrctly linked to the m9 unless you count 100m from off/on ramp indirect. To sum up, to say it is a waste is crazy talk, we campaigned for a second river crossing for 30+ years, it is diverting heavy vehicles out of the city centre, added to that it was a ppp so the cost was minimal to the tax payer, sure it's tolled,I happily pay it to avoid the city centre if I'm heading towards ida/cork road/ORR areaand find it dead handy.

I would agree. The only problem wit it, is that if you use it to go to and from work twice a day, five days a wee, it will add the bones on €1,000 to your annual motoring costs (nett). They HAVE to make it cheaper to use. Then more will use it, and, ultimately, revenue will increase.

This is basic, basic stuff.

I would use it getting from Ardkeen to the M9 but it is faster to go through the town.

15 mins vs 18 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

7upfree wrote: »
    I would agree. The only problem wit it, is that if you use it to go to and from work twice a day, five days a wee, it will add the bones on €1,000 to your annual motoring costs (nett). They HAVE to make it cheaper to use. Then more will use it, and, ultimately, revenue will increase.

This is basic, basic stuff.

It probably won't though.

I live in Waterford.

Don't know and I don't care. But if I needed to guess I would say Wexford originally. You definitely have a dog in the fight for some reason.

Well you thought wrong! It was done at the behest of the government Wexford and Kilkenny politicians. WRH clinicians had nothing to do with it. There is also a precedent from Wexford for doing this. In that case it was with the IDA offices because they thought they could piggy back off the success of Dublin. But of course we know what really did happen/ Virtually no FDI located in the region and Wexford in particular loosing FDI jobs even during a boom period.

Problem for many Waterford people is that they are fighting stupid county jersey battles with Wexford and Kilkenny , when services will be taken away to cork and Dublin.

Nice one! Get the accusation in first so that the other party can't use it. The problem for you is that this is the accusation we have been making for years against certain elements in Kilkenny and Wexford . The other problem for you is the county jersey antics are virtually an election strategy for politicians from those counties. The consequence for the whole region is that it is virtually impossible to deliver a decent economic strategy or one that delivers efficient services for the region. Why? Because political factions in those counties can't handle the inescapable fact that Waterford is the best place to locate services from the point view of any part of the region when savage tribalism is removed from the equation.

FFS it is directly linked to the M9! Again the bridge isn't a waste. It is the toll that is discouraging people from using it. The same as any tolled road in the country. Go to Kilcock interchange ro see the besta example in the country of this. Virtually every HGV coming to and from the West of Ireland leaves and enters the M4/M6 here to re-enter again at Kinnegad. No different to the Waterford City By-Pass

So you admit again it is the toll and not the design.

FFS it is directly linked to the M9! Again the bridge isn't a waste. It is the toll that is discouraging people from using it. The same as any tolled road in the country. Go to Kilcock interchange ro see the besta example in the country of this. Virtually every HGV coming to and from the West of Ireland leaves and enters the M4/M6 here to re-enter again at Kinnegad. No different to the Waterford City By-Pass

So you admit again it is the toll and not the design.

Really , you can drive directly from the M9 onto the bridge?
    Perhaps you have not driven it?

Yes the toll is the largest part of the cost, but people would be willing to pay the toll if it was quicker and convenient, it is neither for many people.
    If it was directly linked to the M9 as opposed to the n25 , more people would use it.

Don't know and I don't care. But if I needed to guess I would say Wexford originally. You definitely have a dog in the fight for some reason.

I would respectfully point out that you are a little aggressive when it come to politics on the waterford forum.
    I don't want to fight I just would point out that the bridge cost 255 million. I believe it could have been better designed , linking directly to the M9 and not the n25.

Well you thought wrong! [B]It was done at the behest of the government Wexford and Kilkenny politicians. WRH clinicians had nothing to do with it.

[/B]

Have you talked to any of the people involved?

Really , you can drive directly from the M9 onto the bridge?
    Perhaps you have not driven it?

What f*cked up logic is preventing you from seeing this. Surely you are not splitting hairs by thinking that the quarry roundabout and the 1Km N9 dual carriageway is some sort of obstacle. The M9 for a tiny distance becomes the N9 because of the speed limitations required when approaching a larger interchange. Are you suggesting that this makes it a different road. Because this makes no sense. There is three major routes that need to be integrated here. The M9 the N25 and the N24. This is done and it is done adequeately
    Yes the toll is the largest part of the cost, but people would be willing to pay the toll if it was quicker and convenient, it is neither for many people.

It is the same setup for most of the tolls in the country upon implementation. To my knowledge the only one so far that has been changed is the Westlink.

http://www.southlink.ie/paymentoptions.php

The same options are available for any other toll in the country so again this is not specific to Waterford thus design is not an issue. If you are a regular user you can simply use the cashless system. If you are using it once in a blue moon then simply pay the toll. This is hardly prohibitive. Its the cost involved if you have to use the toll everyday. I guarantee you that this is the same as the M50 despite the removal off the boothes. This is certainly the reality judging by the congestion of the backrounds around Lucan.
    If it was directly linked to the M9 as opposed to the n25 , more people would use it.

Jesus christ it is the N25. It is not "linked". It "is" the N25.

• Advertisement

Have you talked to any of the people involved?

Did you?

What f*cked up logic is preventing you from seeing this. Surely you are not splitting hairs by thinking that the quarry roundabout and the 1Km N9 dual carriageway is some sort of obstacle. The M9 for a tiny distance becomes the N9 because of the speed limitations required when approaching a larger interchange. Are you suggesting that this makes it a different road. Because this makes no sense. There is three major routes that need to be integrated here. The M9 the N25 and the N24. This is done and it is done adequeately

It is the same setup for most of the tolls in the country upon implementation. To my knowledge the only one so far that has been changed is the Westlink.

http://www.southlink.ie/paymentoptions.php

The same options are available for any other toll in the country so again this is not specific to Waterford thus design is not an issue. If you are a regular user you can simply use the cashless system. If you are using it once in a blue moon then simply pay the toll. This is hardly prohibitive. Its the cost involved if you have to use the toll everyday. I guarantee you that this is the same as the M50 despite the removal off the boothes. This is certainly the reality judging by the congestion of the backrounds around Lucan.

Jesus christ it is the N25. It is not "linked". It "is" the N25.

Gosh , you are very angry today Fuzzy.
    Glad you agree that the bridge is not directly linked to the M9. If it was a lot more people would use it.

Did you?

I did.

I did.

So spill it! Sh!t or get off the pot. Because I doubt you spoke to any Clinician at WRH.

Gosh , you are very angry today Fuzzy.
    Glad you agree that the bridge is not directly linked to the M9. If it was a lot more people would use it.

So you think the changing of the letter M to N means its not linked:D

So you think the changing of the letter M to N means its not linked:D

No it is not you have to come off the motorway, you have to yield twice - if the M9 ran directly onto the bridge with no stopping, more people would use it.

I did.

With respect considerning what you told me I still have a problem with your Bona Fides for several reasons. For one simple reason if what you told me is true then why on earth did you not disclose it earlier? Secondly there seems to be a black hole when it comes to supporting evidence that clinicians at WRH were supportive of it especially as we don't know what incentives if any were offered.

If anything you have consistently defended the antics of the relationship between Brendan Howlin, Hogan and James Reilly which saw preferential treatment towards Wexford General and St Lukes at the cost of other hospitals in the country. I would think that someone with the responsibility you claim you have should be able to see beyond this.

No it is not you have to come off the motorway, you have to yield twice - if the M9 ran directly onto the bridge with no stopping, more people would use it.

This does not make sense. You have to yield twice in a one minute period. It is possible you might not have to yield at all if the traffic conditions are ok. How many times so you yield driving through town? There are three roads here that converge on the interchange. Waterford is the endpoint for the M9. Cork and Rosslare are the enpoints for the N25 thus the by-pass being part of that road system. There is no need to give the M9 priority at this point. To do this you would have to move the bridge to a different location which at this point at least is not possible.

This does not make sense. You have to yield twice in a one minute period. It is possible you might not have to yield at all if the traffic conditions are ok. How many times so you yield driving through town? There are three roads here that converge on the interchange. Waterford is the endpoint for the M9. Cork and Rosslare are the enpoints for the N25 thus the by-pass being part of that road system. There is no need to give the M9 priority at this point. To do this you would have to move the bridge to a different location which at this point at least is not possible.

If the M9 led directly onto the bridge, ie without slowing or even having to stop,more people would use it.

• Advertisement

If the M9 led directly onto the bridge, ie without slowing or even having to stop,more people would use it.

Why would this be case? The M9 would have to be the main feeder for the bridge. From what I can see this assertion seems to be a mere perception. I find it hard to accept considering the that the traffic modelling would presumably use the data that show this.

Advertisement