Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 General Election Waterford

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

robtri wrote: »
    ehhhhh how was Coffey responsible for IDA increased visits?????
    what did he actually do to make more visits??

Ehhhhh, he was in a position to ask the right people, do favours, put the case forward,quid pro quo, basic stuff lads, anyway visits are down a lot since he's gone, I mean do you think bruton arranged more visits just because he sympathized with our situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

ehhhhh how was Coffey responsible for IDA increased visits?????
    what did he actually do to make more visits??

Explain why visits are way down then? I can't think of any other reason than Coffey. As I said, I wasn't a fan of the man but in hindsight it looks we have made a bad decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Deiseen wrote: »
    Explain why visits are way down then? I can't think of any other reason than Coffey. As I said, I wasn't a fan of the man but in hindsight it looks we have made a bad decision.

so you cant think of a reason so therefore it must be down to Coffey...
    sorry I don't buy that...

can you link to the stats showing the number of visits u are referring too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Max Powers wrote: »
    It's this militant , unbalanced,dismissive opinion which is part of the problem, people ignoring the good stuff achieved, not going into all of them but courthouse, fire station, north quays and other stuff but it suits others just to say he was 'found out' which means nothing.

Let's take a trip back in time:

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/paudie-coffey-elected-as-regional-authority-chief/

In that article the then councillor lists his main objectives. Go through his objectives and tick off how many he has actually achieved. Nothing militant or unbalanced to say he was found out.

Ehhhhh, he was in a position to ask the right people, do favours, put the case forward,quid pro quo, basic stuff lads, anyway visits are down a lot since he's gone, I mean do you think bruton arranged more visits just because he sympathized with our situation.

ha ha ha ha that is just funny.....

so you cant say what he actually did you are just guessing he did something..

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Let's take a trip back in time:

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/paudie-coffey-elected-as-regional-authority-chief/

In that article the then councillor lists his main objectives. Go through his objectives and tick off how many he has actually achieved. Nothing militant or unbalanced to say he was found out.

first off, back in time is right,silly reference to an article when he was in a in a different position, not a td, but they are still the goals, doesn't mean we have other goals too.Just like we were trying for years to get court house done, fire station done, progress on north quays, regional IDA representation, possible review of boundary,,etc etc.sure look Jeff, you go on thinking he had nothing to do with any of the positives we have had last few years.

first off, back in time is right,silly reference to an article when he was in a in a different position, not a td, but they are still the goals, doesn't mean we have other goals too.Just like we were trying for years to get court house done, fire station done, progress on north quays, regional IDA representation, possible review of boundary,,etc etc.sure look Jeff, you go on thinking he had nothing to do with any of the positives we have had last few years.

well show us then where he was involved and got these things up and running...
    surely if he did any of this there would be big papertrail

I don't believe he did to be honest. He's a politician who has done very little for his constituency behind all your talk.

so you cant think of a reason so therefore it must be down to Coffey...
    sorry I don't buy that...

can you link to the stats showing the number of visits u are referring too ?

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2016-12-13a.1707

I'm not saying it was definitely Coffey FFS but I am saying that it could have been. It's worrying to see visits down and I'm worried that they are down because we don't have him in our corner anymore.

People looking for proof of what Coffey achieved. Can you show me proof of what Martin Cullen achieved for us? Or proof of what any politician achieves for their constituents? Proof can lead to allegations of "Parish Pump"

well show us then where he was involved and got these things up and running...
    surely if he did any of this there would be big papertrail

Paper trail on his talks with other party colleagues, ministers, chats in the bar, etc etc , don't be silly,

• Advertisement

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2016-12-13a.1707

I'm not saying it was definitely Coffey FFS but I am saying that it could have been. It's worrying to see visits down and I'm worried that they are down because we don't have him in our corner anymore.

People looking for proof of what Coffey achieved. Can you show me proof of what Martin Cullen achieved for us? Or proof of what any politician achieves for their constituents? Proof can lead to allegations of "Parish Pump"

So you're looking at a data set of 2015 full year versus 2016 up to q3 and are coming to the conclusion that the reduction in visits is due to Coffey leaving office. Despite the fact he was there for q1 2016 in which 4 out of the 15 were made. (Link below)

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2016-04-14a.468

I don't believe he did to be honest. He's a politician who has done very little for his constituency behind all your talk.

Jeff,your trenchant opinion that Coffey achieved nothing just reads like some shinner bot or rabid FF'er, numerous examples of good things that happened, are happening that originated /started in his time have been given by me and another poster or 2 here.but sure, you ignore them, and the latest wheeze is that FDI visits were down, quarter 1, last year.to say all these positives would have happened without our most senior, best connected, in govt TD is just fantasy.. And to be perfectly frank, you are not alone, people like the agitator, the table banger, etc etc, but reality is they achieve sod all in most cases, look at halligan, Wallace in wexford, etc etc.it's this nonsense that leaves us without a TD who could do something for us, yet we kept deasy, who can do zip for us since no one will even listen to him.

On saying that,I think deasy is a decent skin, just like halligan.related to another post few years ago when we were deep in the recession,..I actually heard someone say to me, sure the motorway and bridge would have been done without Cullen...this is the level out there lads, scary stuff.

Jeff,your trenchant opinion that Coffey achieved nothing just reads like some shinner bot or rabid FF'er, numerous examples of good things that happened, are happening that originated /started in his time have been given by me and another poster or 2 here.but sure, you ignore them, and the latest wheeze is that FDI visits were down, quarter 1, last year.to say all these positives would have happened without our most senior, best connected, in govt TD is just fantasy.. And to be perfectly frank, you are not alone, people like the agitator, the table banger, etc etc, but reality is they achieve sod all in most cases, look at halligan, Wallace in wexford, etc etc.it's this nonsense that leaves us without a TD who could do something for us, yet we kept deasy, who can do zip for us since no one will even listen to him.

On saying that,I think deasy is a decent skin, just like halligan.related to another post few years ago when we were deep in the recession,..I actually heard someone say to me, sure the motorway and bridge would have been done without Cullen...this is the level out there lads, scary stuff.

Believe it or not I voted Coffey number 1 in the last Election (something I won't be doing again) so it's a very cheap argument to make that I am a shinner or rabid FF'er, but I guess that's the way politics has gone. The latest wheeze as you put it, that IDA visits were down in quarter 1 last year was simply in response to the post that sparked this initial discussion claiming that the visits in 2016 were down as a direct result of Coffey leaving office. The stats refute this claim as the visits were well down in Q1 when he was in office.

We all know he is well connected/part of Enda's golden circle as his place as a Senator backs this up. I'm not sure this has helped Waterford in any way however.

Believe it or not I voted Coffey number 1 in the last Election (something I won't be doing again) so it's a very cheap argument to make that I am a shinner or rabid FF'er, but I guess that's the way politics has gone. The latest wheeze as you put it, that IDA visits were down in quarter 1 last year was simply in response to the post that sparked this initial discussion claiming that the visits in 2016 were down as a direct result of Coffey leaving office. The stats refute this claim as the visits were well down in Q1 when he was in office.

We all know he is well connected/part of Enda's golden circle as his place as a Senator backs this up. I'm not sure this has helped Waterford in any way however.

I brought this up and never said that he was the sole reason. I'm trying to figure out why visits are down and the only thing I can think of is Coffey being gone.

Somebody also said it was figures up to Q3 compared to figures for the entire of 2015. They are having a laugh if they think we will get almost 20 visits in the last quarter of 2016. I just don't understand how our TDs are not shouting from the rooftops about this.

I brought this up and never said that he was the sole reason. I'm trying to figure out why visits are down and the only thing I can think of is Coffey being gone.

Depends on a lot of factors, one of the big ones which i have said before is the lack of premium office space available and even manufacturing space.

it would hugely depend on the Multinationals and what their requirements are, access to space, energy and qualified people.

eg a well know large internet company wanted to set up a datacentre here, a proper large one, and Waterford and ESB couldnt provide enough energy. Payapl didnt even look in waterford as no viable space was available for them to view.. just a couple of examples of what can effect visits

so imho saying that it is down to Coffey based on two numbers without having any further information behind these numbers is riddiculous...

Depends on a lot of factors, one of the big ones which i have said before is the lack of premium office space available and even manufacturing space.

it would hugely depend on the Multinationals and what their requirements are, access to space, energy and qualified people.

eg a well know large internet company wanted to set up a datacentre here, a proper large one, and Waterford and ESB couldnt provide enough energy. Payapl didnt even look in waterford as no viable space was available for them to view.. just a couple of examples of what can effect visits

so imho saying that it is down to Coffey based on two numbers without having any further information behind these numbers is riddiculous...

Some fair points there but you could argue that place building data centre in Galway has zero electrical infrastructure, they are building from scratch.with PayPal, lack of languages was one of reasons given, then yeah office space.trend there for IDA give us excuses why less visits then others, lack of decent road to Dublin was stock excuse for decades, they had change that now. biggest factor, political weight that can be brought to IDA so to ensure that Waterford is on that visit list.

The suitable premises point is a fair one but then this could apply all over Ireland and not just in Waterford.
    The point about the datacentre doesn't make sense. If Waterford cannot supply the "energy" then the island of Ireland cannot supply the power. No matter where they put the site it would need to be connected up to the distribution/transmission network. If the ESB don't want to do this in Waterford but are happy to do it in another city then serious questions need to be asked about why this is the case.
    In the last few years significant political pressure was applied about IDA visits in Waterford and magically, visits went up! Now that the pressure has come off, visits have collapsed. You are trying to say that it has nothing to do with politics and has everything to do with external factors. This is complete crap and even if it were for those external factor, then these would also be political!

fortunately it was an issue... the ESB told this company that to supply their energy needs in Waterford they would have to take a town like carrick off line...
    energy supply is an issue in certain parts of the country. and seemingly here...

this was a couple of years ago.. around 3 or 4 iirc

fortunately it was an issue... the ESB told this company that to supply their energy needs in Waterford they would have to take a town like carrick off line...
    energy supply is an issue in certain parts of the country. and seemingly here...

Not sure how accurate that is.we are a short distance from a major plant on great island, on the main interconnect for electricity and gas.I do remember someone saying we need the overhead pylons years ago because manufacturing companies need two electrical lines,HV presumably, . It's all ok to use existing lines, and new technology now so I think that could have been spin on esb networks part, open to correction if people have bit more info or better informed.

Not sure how accurate that is.we are a short distance from a major plant on great island, on the main interconnect for electricity and gas.I do remember someone saying we need the overhead pylons years ago because manufacturing companies need two electrical lines,HV presumably, . It's all ok to use existing lines, and new technology now so I think that could have been spin on esb networks part, open to correction if people have bit more info or better informed.

You don't need to be near a generating plant in order to avail of the power generated. You do however need to be able to tap into the transmission/distribution network. If you are, then power generated in the West can be utilised here and likewise, power generated here can be utilised in the West.

What companies do want, is redundancy. So for instance, if one transmission line ever went down then there is a back up available to them so they are not offline for too long. This means they are not depending on their back up power system , such as on site generation, for a sustained period of time.

Waterford is well supplied with transmission lines and that's why I'm hesitant to believe what the guy is saying above. If it's true what he is saying, then it is a case of the ESB not willing to facilitate the company in Waterford, when they could have, but willing to do it elsewhere. This would be a huge issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Is this any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

redlead wrote: »
    Unfortunately the Waterford electorate prove themselves time and time again to be simpletons so we deserve what we get....

We also elect John Deasy every single time despite the fact that he literally does absolutely nothing when in office. The funny thing is that he doesn't even bother to pretend anymore. I think the guy clearly has contempt for the east of the county which wins him a lot of votes elsewhere but his support base still haven't figured out that he doesn't represent them either. The funny thing is that he came out saying he wanted the ceann comhairle gig so essentially admitted he doesn't want to work for the people who elected him just so he can stay up in Dublin. What will happen in a few months? John Deasy will be elected.

I could have told them this three years ago so the excuse of his special envoy gig doesn't wash but he jumped at it as an excuse. At least his own support base have finally copped on.

Advertisement