Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 General Election Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

The only canvassers here have been for Paudie Coffey, John Walsh and John Halligan. I will not vote for 2 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Halligan and Cullinanes teams have knocked the other drops if they were canvassers didn't knock as someone was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is Enda due in town anytime soon, appears to me he has just skipped Waterford as he has done Wicklow, Wexford, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Galway, Mayo etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

When I first moved to my estate we were plagued with junk mail, sales reps etc so I put a VERY legible sign on my letterbox, No Junk Mail, No Political Reps etc

One day recently Cullinanes team were halfway up my drive, saw the sign and remarked on the fact that signage like mine was more prevalent than in previous election years and walked away.

Last week as my partner was getting the kids ready for bed in the living room, the doorbell rang. It was John Halligan and his team. She didn't answer the door and then they had the cheek to walk to the living room window, stoop to look under our blinds and look at the kids. I can tell you now he won't be getting a vote for the simple fact he obviously can't read.

The FF candidates leaflet was dropped through the door by an African guy who didn't or couldn't read the sign either. Annoying but not her fault directly I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im not sure i want to face a canvasser. im coming to the conclusion, not many of our politicians understand whats really going on and its well out of their control anyway. i know i should confront them and have a mature chat about it but i feel it would be a pointless activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

It is amazing that people are so disillusioned with main parties that they are eyeing up SF to vote for.Adams , even ignoring his paramilitary past, had been involved in child abuse cover ups involving his brother, sex assault cover ups with the Maria cahill case.
    SF say they will get rid of usc, water, property tax and give massive expenditure to public services,I just don't see it at all.Cullinane seems to be a decent skin in fairness but comments from local SF rep john Hearne bombing being effective in some cases frightens me. I would be fearful speaking out about them in public for something happen me.
    I'm fearful people are unwisely going to just protest vote

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Max Powers wrote: »

A protest vote as we've seen is a dangerous vote,
    People should vote based on policy's and track record but at the same time always keep in mind that alot of the promises made simply can't or won't happen, for example in SF case they can look at different cuts etc they've pushed in the north.

Any party can promise the sun, moon and stars but its another thing following through on things and making tax cuts and still ensuring you have enough money to keep everything running.

Back in previous elections people protest voted against FF and voted for FG, the same FG who clearly stated in their manifesto that they would bring in water charges. FG then bring in water charges and some people were outraged at the idea.

Has to be seriously confusing for party's sometimes, as a party you likely figure that people vote for your party based on what you stand for and what is outlined in your manifesto which you make available for people. Then when you follow through people get upset.

Its not a big ask to expect people to make an informed vote and not just throw it away as a protest vote or voting for a party or person based on some soundbite. Look at their figures, look at their track record and look at the people's background that you intend to vote into power.

I don't mind what party a person votes for, just as long as its a proper informed vote. Voting for a party because thats who your parents voted for or because thats who you voted for last time isn't a good enough reason to vote for them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

As someone put knocking on doors, I know there is going to be a protest vote, to the benefit of SF and Halligan. People don't trust the main parties and are turning to radicals. What they don't realise is that neither Halligan of Cullinane getting seats will change much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Fine Gael Paudie Coffey, John Deasy
    Fianna Fáil Mary Butler
    Sinn Féin David Cullinane
    Labour Party Ciara Conway
    Social Democrats -
    Anti-Austerity Alliance
    People Before Profit Una Dunphy
    Green Party Grace O’Sullivan
    Independents/ Others John Halligan, Sheikh Ahmed, Edward Quilty, John Walsh
    Renua Ireland Mailo Power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

It is amazing that people are so disillusioned with main parties that they are eyeing up SF to vote for.Adams , even ignoring his paramilitary past, had been involved in child abuse cover ups involving his brother, sex assault cover ups with the Maria cahill case.
    SF say they will get rid of usc, water, property tax and give massive expenditure to public services,I just don't see it at all.Cullinane seems to be a decent skin in fairness but comments from local SF rep john Hearne bombing being effective in some cases frightens me. I would be fearful speaking out about them in public for something happen me.

With respect this is pure fear mongering. The issue with supposed sex abuse cover ups is nothing compared to what the scandals that FG and FF have covered up or neglected. The most recent one in the South East had it not been neglected 20 years ago by Michael Noonan could have been largely avoided. FG and Labours opportunism with regard to sex abuse is disgraceful and opportunistic. In case you have been living under a rock for the last 30 years you should be under no doubt that the political corruption in this country is almost exclusively a trait of FF and FG.

Transparency international has shown that Irelands corruption perception index has actually got worse since FG/Labour took power so lets not kid ourselves. Also the campaign so far has actually shown Sinn Fein to to be the more astute on the economic costing so that nugget is also not available for the established parties. What's left?........Fear!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Ah come on are You for real??he raised a genuine issue, its been in the media this week!

Can we ask our potential TDs what they are going to do about local Waterford people abusing kids?

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/61536-sentencing-of-waterford-man-on-indecent-assault-charges-to-take-place-over-the-next-two-days.html

With respect this is pure fear mongering. The issue with supposed sex abuse cover ups is nothing compared to what the scandals that FG and FF have covered up or neglected. The most recent one in the South East had it not been neglected 20 years ago by Michael Noonan could have been largely avoided. FG and Labours opportunism with regard to sex abuse is disgraceful and opportunistic. In case you have been living under a rock for the last 30 years you should be under no doubt that the political corruption in this country is almost exclusively a trait of FF and FG.

Transparency international has shown that Irelands corruption perception index has actually got worse since FG/Labour took power so lets not kid ourselves. Also the campaign so far has actually shown Sinn Fein to to be the more astute on the economic costing so that nugget is also not available for the established parties. What's left?........Fear!
    Well said the Grace case is a fine example. Then there is the church and how the government wont stand up to them and force them to pay their victims. We have a school system thats supposed to be inclusive but is run by the church and you still have a better chance of getting in if you are baptised and a catholic.
    Maria Cahill I have no time for with her links to a dissident IRA group in 2010 which is said to be aligned with Oglaigh na hEirean and is not in the interest of peace. Thats only 6 years ago and Oglaigh na hEirean were planting bombs back then.
    We have families loosing their homes and being put into rat infected and dangerous emergency accommodation. People are still leaving the country and suicides are on the up. We have government officials complaining about the printers jammed up because someone got in before them to print their xmas cards.
    The council stinks of cronyism and I never liked the way Adam Wyse was co opted in. There is far too much petrol pump politics in the city and people really need to get their heads out of their asses and see whats going on.
    I wont be voting for or putting a number beside the Catholic Right Renua party, FF, FG, Labour, Greens or other independants after Mulligans turncoat at. SF and John Halligan are getting my vote.

Add in a justice system that wont punish the worst type of offenders

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Also the campaign so far has actually shown Sinn Fein to to be the more astute on the economic costing so that nugget is also not available for the established parties. What's left?........Fear!

Maybe, however people should be extremely wary of any party promising tax cuts because at the end of the day you need money to fund services in the country.

SF have had to make some extremely unpopular decisions in the North including education cuts. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ni-minister-for-education-john-o-dowd-not-for-turning-on-cuts-1.2167744

If somehow people think SF are going to magic money out of nowhere while cutting tax etc then they are only fools. People somehow thought FG would improve things money wise when compared to FF but the reality of the situation is some very unpopular decisions had to be made for various reasons.

Other examples of SF would be that they condemn FG for homeless issues in Dublin, but Belfast has them too http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/homeless-volunteers-lead-tributes-to-true-gentleman-found-dead-in-belfast-34464559.html

spookwoman wrote: »
    Well said the Grace case is a fine example. Then there is the church and how the government wont stand up to them and force them to pay their victims. We have a school system thats supposed to be inclusive but is run by the church and you still have a better chance of getting in if you are baptised and a catholic.
    <SNIP>
    I wont be voting for or putting a number beside the Catholic Right Renua party, FF, FG, Labour, Greens or other independants after Mulligans turncoat at. SF and John Halligan are getting my vote.

Funny enough based on TD responses you could actually argue that SF agree with the catholic church more then the greens when it comes to the Catholic church's opposition to any referendum in relation to the 8th amendment.

Surely a proper democracy would have no issue putting the issue to a vote of the people? Nobody should really oppose voting on this issue again, after all the last time people had a vote on this issue was back in 1983.

Cao_jU_XEAAAeJZ.jpg

I would certainly agree with you in relation to our catholic ethos school system and how it is utterly shameful that we have a school system that can legally discriminate against a 5 year old based on their religion or lack there of...all at the tax payer expense.

But you must remember that the DOE has some very backwards people in it that will fight change tooth and nail, even if SF get into power I guarantee you that we'll have the same situation 4 years from now with the vast majority of our schools.

Its utterly depressing but thats the crap you're dealing with,

Finally, I find it amusing you did mention printers and ink given SF had no issues abusing 50k worth of tax payer money on ink which they refuse to pay back (ink costs that are 5 times above anyone elses use). It might seem like small change in the scale of things but its still morally wrong to ripp off the tax payer in this way.

Maria Cahill I have no time for with her links to a dissident IRA group in 2010 which is said to be aligned with Oglaigh na hEirean and is not in the interest of peace. Thats only 6 years ago and Oglaigh na hEirean were planting bombs back then.
    We have families loosing their homes and being put into rat infected and dangerous emergency accommodation. People are still leaving the country and suicides are on the up. We have government officials complaining about the printers jammed up because someone got in before them to print their xmas cards.
    The council stinks of cronyism and I never liked the way Adam Wyse was co opted in. There is far too much petrol pump politics in the city and people really need to get their heads out of their asses and see whats going on.

Add in a justice system that wont punish the worst type of offenders
    Everything from church abuse to printing ink is governments fault.basically u along with most of SF accused Maria Cahill of being a liar...nothing to see here.I'm afraid that reads like a brainwashed follower who can't see anything dodgy in his like.there is so much wrong in the post I don't have time to point them all out.

Not brainwashed just fed up with FF, FG and Labour doing the same things as they always do. By voting for a change I am trying to make a difference, can you tell me if the main parties will change? How many of the protesters voted for enda and labour cause I didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

Hilary Quinlan is going around My area now distributing Paudi's literature.

No knock,just lobbed it through the letterbox ignoring the "no junk mail" sign.

I promptly returned His flyer's.

Not brainwashed just fed up with FF, FG and Labour doing the same things as they always do. By voting for a change I am trying to make a difference, can you tell me if the main parties will change? How many of the protesters voted for enda and labour cause I didnt.

Look at the change you are voting for.fair enough the main parties are a bunch of scoundrels, rather that then a bunch of dangerous potentially violent intimidators/gangsters.I'll say it again,SF in the paper today for intimidating RTE over coverage, they won't be as nice to the average Joe on the street.vote independent if you can't stand the main parties.

Look at the change you are voting for.fair enough the main parties are a bunch of scoundrels, rather that then a bunch of dangerous potentially violent intimidators/gangsters.I'll say it again,SF in the paper today for intimidating RTE over coverage, they won't be as nice to the average Joe on the street.vote independent if you can't stand the main parties.

http://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-sandra-mclellan-2-2611285-Feb2016/
    Bullied out or let the discrediting of the individual begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dk1982

when you say in the 'paper' you should probably point out that it was in the Independent so hardly counts as credible when it comes to SF

• Advertisement

Alan Shatter, Noonan running away from the Grace questioning, Joe Queenan, Lowery,Lapgate, need I mention Denis O'Brien, I dont know whats worse but I think a government thats responsible for an increase in suicides has a lot to answer for

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Alan Shatter, Noonan running away from the Grace questioning, Joe Queenan, Lowery,Lapgate, need I mention Denis O'Brien, I dont know whats worse but I think a government thats responsible for an increase in suicides has a lot to answer for

Seriously? You need to look at SF more closely. Links to organised crime and terrorist organizations.

Seriously? You need to look at SF more closely. Links to organised crime and terrorist organizations.
    using the guards to do your dirty work, cahills very recent links to dissident IRA, families losing their homes and living on the streets is not serious? I'm not catholic and I hold an english passport and SF have been the only people have helped my family and I. John Halligan has fought for illnesss to be put on the long term illness scheme and dying with dignity bill. The rest have done feck all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Was the findings of Moriarty tribunal not "organised crime"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

invara wrote: »
    My two cents is that we need to be sending people to Dublin who have the potential to be a minister, which is the only way of delivering (we learned with Conway and Coffey how little can be achieved from the back benches). So this is my views of the runners and riders.

Deasy.
    By not becoming a minister this time around, he cost us very dearly. He has a first degree political education in the USA, comes from a safe seat (in the family since 1977), he is media friendly and was front bench when FG withered away fifteen years ago. Were he to have been a minister he would have created a ministerial continuity between Cullen; protecting the constituency from being pillaged by the other cities (hospital and university issue). He did not. Instead he sat on the PAC committee that took lumps out of WIT and now he is sniffing at the Ceann Comhairle job, which rules him out from being a minister and delivering anything for Waterford. Depriving him of votes would send a compelling message that we take failure seriously.

Coffey.
    He is on the ministerial track. He has had to eat a huge amount of dirt for the Government failing the constituency, but he is our best hope of a minister; and he knows what he would do if he got it.

Halligan.
    Voting for him is a scream of anger in the wilderness; it might be satisfying but it is very unlikely that he will ever be able to deliver ministerial level resources to the constituency. A Minister can do far more than a Jackie-Heally-Rae or Tony Gregory type bought off independent.

Conway.
    Like Coffey she is on Ministerial track in the Labour party; and has eaten the most dirty for the failure to deliver. As Labour will not be totally destroyed in this election if she gets back in to a reduced party, she has the potential to be on the front-bench and then who knows. She does not appear to fully understand and emote about how stuffed Waterford is; and how angry people are; also her media skills are poor.

Cullinane.
    Based on the principal that we should only send people who have the potential to be minister, we should invest in the a strong foot in the SF camp, as they are becoming closer to a party of government. He has had a good political education, is effective in the media and has the potential to be senior in the party.

Butler.
    She is a long term investment; and is a good bit away from being ever in contention to be a FF minister. She needs media development. We do need a foot in the FF camp, poor prospects here at the moment. The constituencies biggest problem over the past 80 years it FFs failure to send high caliber people to Dublin, people with the potential to be a minister; it does appear we might be at it again.

Power, Dunphy, O'Sullivan.
    These are unlikely to come into contention, but the three of them have something to offer. Renua and People/profit are unlikely to be sable enough partners for government; but the Greens are. Of them Grace O'Sullivan has a political education in greenpeace and the media skills to become an asset to the constituency; and is a good deal more effective than Butler. None have ministerial potential.

So if your sole criteria is could we get a minister, these are my picks

Coffey
    Cullinane
    Conway....
    And then it does not matter between O’Sullivan or Butler

I actually think Deasy has a good chance of ministerial position, Kenny said he will not lead FG into coalition with FF, does this imply he will resign? If so Deasy will have a much better chance , given there will be (probably)a clear out of Kenny loyalists such as Reilly and Kehoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

What links have SF got to them, people like u need to get their head out of there ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

O Riain wrote: »
    Can we ask our potential TDs what they are going to do about local Waterford people abusing kids?

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/61536-sentencing-of-waterford-man-on-indecent-assault-charges-to-take-place-over-the-next-two-days.html

You certainly can!(If You're asking My preference on what to do with the evil b#£%&#d I'd have him locked up never to see the light of day again.)But that's not likely in liberal old Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

well its better than SF, cause if they dont like you there "friends" will drag you to a barn and break every bone in your body with iron bars as they beat you to death..... or maybe you will just disappear like Jean Mcconville....

and don't worry they will protect there mates like Slab, sure he did nothing wrong poor chap....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

when you say a governemnt responsible for an increase in suicides?? what you basing that on

In fact, the rate of suicide in Ireland hit its peak in 2001 at 13.5 suicides per 100,000 people and by 2004 – a “Celtic Tiger” year in which economic growth was running at 4.6 per cent – the rate still remained at 12.2. That 2004 rate of 12.2 per 100,000 has never been exceeded since.
    RTE..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

robtri wrote: »
    well its better than SF, cause if they dont like you there "friends" will drag you to a barn and break every bone in your body with iron bars as they beat you to death..... or maybe you will just disappear like Jean Mcconville....

and don't worry they will protect there mates like Slab, sure he did nothing wrong poor chap....

U talk some crap.

Advertisement