Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Meter reading

Options
  • 31-01-2016 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Got a estimated gas meter reading in the post the other day and the price has increased dramatically from my last read meter reading I took from the gas meter. I have attached a photo that I took from the meter this morning with a reading I took this morning and the estimated meter reading that bord gais estimated me.

Obviously January is a tough month financially i'm just wondering is there much of a difference in both meter readings i.e the actual meter reading and the estimated one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Attachments aren't working on Boards, could you just tell us the numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Present meter reading on the bill 4895E
    Number on the meter 04853 307 E

• Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Can't open your attachments, but you only use first six or seven digits on the meter - ignore the ones that have a red surround.

Subtract the last estimated reading from your actual current reading, multiply by the KwH price (on the bill somewhere), add the VAT (also on the bil, think it's 21%l) and you'll have an idea of what the difference will be. There's also a standing charge to be factored in, but the above will give you a rough idea at least.

If that's what you were asking.

It's a good idea to always ring in/submit an actual reading when you get estimated bills - prevents huge shocks if they miss a few readings and the estimates get further and further out from the reality.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Can't open your attachments, but you only use first six or seven digits on the meter - ignore the ones that have a red surround.

Subtract the last estimated reading from your actual current reading, multiply by the KwH price (on the bill somewhere), add the VAT (also on the bil, think it's 21%l) and you'll have an idea of what the difference will be. There's also a standing charge to be factored in, but the above will give you a rough idea at least.

If that's what you were asking.

Is there much of a difference between these 2 readings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Attachments are working, but taking 30 seconds to load

OP: You should be able to ring them up asap and tell them to update the bill to the correct reading.

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »

Is there much of a difference between these 2 readings?
    42 KwH.

I have no idea off the top of my head how much that will translate to in money, but you can work it out off a bill as I said above.

Doesn't sound like a whole pile, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

There's only somewhere in the region of 2-3euro in the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

The estimated reading is probably from a date 10 days ago, so you could "guess" the real reading from then and ring them up.

That guess could be about 500 kwh lower and the bill will be adjusted - it will mean the difference will go on the next bill when an actual reading will be done.

VincePP wrote: »
    The estimated reading is probably from a date 10 days ago, so you could "guess" the real reading from then and ring them up.

That guess could be about 500 kwh lower and the bill will be adjusted - it will mean the difference will go on the next bill when an actual reading will be done.
    That's all very well until a big freeze comes along in February, and now you've a huge bill PLUS the bit that you "guessed" off the last bill.

I'd adopt a policy of always submitting the (real) current reading when you get an estimated bill, OP - either that or go on level pay billing to prevent any shocks at all. You'll pay more in the warm months, but at least you'll know what's coming.

(Caveat - I've never used level pay billing so I'm not exactly sure how it works! I'm sure they'd explain it properly if you asked)

ETA - have you shopped around for gas suppliers, by the way? I just did it yesterday, which is why it's in my mind - if you've been with a supplier for over 12 months then there's nearly guaranteed to be a saving by switching. Same with electricity.

• Advertisement

Rang up Bord Gais and the proper reading was 28€ cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

I am on level pay. Most recent elec bill that came in was an estimate, under estimated by 500 units!!! Have submitted reading, hopefully the spring/summer months will even out the bill :)

Advertisement