Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning a trip along the west coast, north to south

Options
  • 31-01-2016 2:53pm

Howdy folks.

Was wondering if anyone could throw out some rough ideas or guidance here at all.

Pretty much, last year and the year before, a few of us (4-5 of us) went and spent a night tenting in a camp site, and climbed Croagh Patrick. At a different time we stayed in a cabin in donegal and went up and down Erigall. The year before, we did a few walks around Slieve Foye.

All a good laugh, and something we enjoyed.

An Idea that came up was to do a little bit of mooching around the west coast ('wild atlantic way', I believe it's been dubbed?), and spend 3 or so days wandering about, doing a little bit of hill climbing, walking and spending time in camp sites (perhaps one night in a B+B/Hotel in there somewhere too).

It's a very rough idea at the moment.

But I figured I'd post here to see if anyone has done something similar? or if ye guys could provide a decent way of figuring out a start/end point?

Ideally would like to do at least one mildly challenging/interesting mountain climb, but was wondering if there are any other good trails or spots to be found about the place? (links to Google Maps or Coordinates would be greatly appreciated!).

I know this thread is a bit make-it-up-as-you-go-along but I've been googling around and can't seem to find much. I did find a (fairly small?) map on camping-ireland that shows campsite icons, which is helpful, and will be good to plan the journeys out, but i'd like to see if i can also find a similar map for 'things to do' or 'places to see' or such (if that makes sense) as well as any general advice anyone may have for doing this kinda thing?

Cheers to anyone able to offer any advice or insight :)

EDIT: Sorry, doesn't necessarily need to be along the west coast, that's just been the idea that's been thrown around. I'm in Louth/Drogheda so happy to stay in the midlands etc on the way to the west if there's anything worth looking at along the way (glendalough looks interesting for example, although ive been there before, but would happily go again as my time there was fairly brief). So pretty much open to any makey-uppey 3/4 day route across ireland that involves a bit of hill walking, etc.

Comments

Start and end in Killarney.

On different days, take in the Reeks, Torc and Purple Mountain and Mangertons.

Start and end in Killarney.

On different days, take in the Reeks, Torc and Purple Mountain and Mangertons.

Advertisement