Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth & community course/adult education.

Options
  • 31-01-2016 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi. Has anybody completed the youth & community course in UCC? Are there any books I could buy that would benefit me? Any feedback from past students would be great.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ferneo

Hi there, I've just finished my 2nd year of this course. Regarding books you can pretty must get everything you need for free from the ucc library or online. We were advised by peer support initially to get a sociology dictionary and the Anthony Giddens bible of sociology:) The lecturers give you long list of reading suggestions and its kind of a matter of finding what suits you. I've bought a couple of books online and they are pretty much unreadable, so its a good idea if you can have a quick look through a book before buying to see if you like it. There are a couple of books that are written by our lecturers that you could probably do with, one being by Forde, Meade and Kiely (Youth and community work in ireland). For informal education the Janet Batsleer stuff is good. You can sometimes by second hand in the basement book shop in the student centre. Anyhow, hope you enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 juno85

ferneo wrote: »
    Hi there, I've just finished my 2nd year of this course. Regarding books you can pretty must get everything you need for free from the ucc library or online. We were advised by peer support initially to get a sociology dictionary and the Anthony Giddens bible of sociology:) The lecturers give you long list of reading suggestions and its kind of a matter of finding what suits you. I've bought a couple of books online and they are pretty much unreadable, so its a good idea if you can have a quick look through a book before buying to see if you like it. There are a couple of books that are written by our lecturers that you could probably do with, one being by Forde, Meade and Kiely (Youth and community work in ireland). For informal education the Janet Batsleer stuff is good. You can sometimes by second hand in the basement book shop in the student centre. Anyhow, hope you enjoy it!

Thanks so much for all the information. :) will look into books you suggested. Thanks. :)

Advertisement