Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When should CS students be applying for jobs?

Options
  • 31-01-2016 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'll be finished in the summer, and I haven't looked at any jobs yet. I know people in other courses who are applying to tonnes of graduate programs and traineeships and it's scaring me that I'm not prepared at all. I sort of got the impression I could finish and then look for jobs. Is this true? Or should I be looking and applying now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

There's no real right answer, a lot depends on your personal circumstances.

If you're going travelling (like a lot of graduates) or take some time out then go do that now if you can.

Once you start in a job, you won't get the opportunity to travel.

Other options are working in a different city/country.

Other people prefer to get stuck in and/or have financial commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

guitarless wrote: »
    I'll be finished in the summer, and I haven't looked at any jobs yet. I know people in other courses who are applying to tonnes of graduate programs and traineeships and it's scaring me that I'm not prepared at all. I sort of got the impression I could finish and then look for jobs. Is this true? Or should I be looking and applying now?

If you want to get straight into work after completing the course then the sooner you find a job the better.
    It really depends on whether companies are advertising positions which start after you finish or not.
    No point in applying for something which starts next month.

But as the previous poster said if you have ambitions to travel then id advise doing it before starting full time work.
    Once you start working and getting a regular pay check its very hard to give that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

guitarless wrote: »

Back during my CS degree I worked every summer in CV building roles. For the summer after my finals I signed onto the dole for my first time ever, kicked back and enjoyed those halcyon summer days of parties, kicking around parks, and intentionally doing as little as possible. Moved to Spain in the following October, found a job for December.

I'd personally be in no rush. Worry about January next year, not this year.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Agreed.
    Your going to be working the rest of your life. Your already used to being broke and having no money as a student. So enjoy being broke for a little bit longer.

Advertisement