Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usual Waiting Time...Dublin North?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

When I applied for my shotgun, FO rang me on the same day to say my application had been approved. Had the physical certificate in my pocket in less than 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Big headache here in the coolock area with the new FO.

Last November I applied to renew my sxs (to new FO), the cert arrived start of March. The old licence expired at the start of December so I was without licence for 3 months

That would seem to match up with what I was told today when I met a lad I know at the range. He told me he was waiting 5 months for his shotgun license in coolock and he had just got it.

Is there any point ringing them and being on their case, or would I just be wasting my breath? Its one thing going for a first time license, but I would be furious if I was left waiting for a renewal and the very public servants who would arrest you and/or confiscate your guns are the same people who are supposed to be approving (or declining) license applications.

Is there anything in the pipeline with a view to changing this ludicrous system?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Left the centre fire application in on 16th there.

As regards the system and change...well the system works when there is someone there who pays attention to applications as they come in.
    The last man was a sergeant who was in the office so he would get time to deal with any applications as they came in. The new man is a garda who is out on patrol most days, in a busy station so not ideal from our point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There is no way that these kinds of delays would be accepted if it was a private business.

How hard can it be. Seriously.

A shooter leaves the paperwork into the Garda station. If everything is in order the F.O. enters the paperwork onto the system.

It is then sent to the Super/Chief Super to be signed off. (At least that is what I think happens.) The Super/Chief Super either signs off on it or refuses it.

It's not that complicated a system and should run a lot faster than it is, especially for renewals or for someone who already has a firearms licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Completely agree.
    And it worked that efficiently with the old FO. I'd leave a renewal in to him and in a week I was getting the letter to go to the post office with. So that shows that it is a straight forward process when attended to correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I called in to the Garda station with my paperwork and spoke to the Sargent in charge of licensing. Five days later I had the grant letter and five days after that I had the actual license in my hand. Ten days start to finish. My point is the system does work if it's run properly.

Well, something is moving along. The FO rang me today. Asking me to bring in my passport or drivers license on Saturday along with a receipt with confirmation that the shotgun is restricted to 3 shells. The second bit will have to wait though, as there's nothing on the receipt and I will have to get courtlough to issue me something on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

In relation to the 'un-restricted '......

Type up a letter addressed to the FO, detail the firearm, make, model etc etc, then include this .......

In reference to the above mentioned firearm, I confirm that it is NOT a restricted firearm as per the definition laid down in the Commissioners Guide to Fire Arm Licensing and by virtue of its design and construction allowing a maximum capacity of three cartridges to loaded into the gun at any one time...

Then sign it off the usual, ....please do not hesitate to contact me ya de ya de ya...

I'm typing this from memory, but I've done this in the past for a semi with no further problems, but it's a pain in the A when you have to submit it again for an all ready licensed firearm.

i have dropped into the station a few times with no luck catching the FO. He is either off duty (when other say he is supposed to be on duty), out on patrol, or like tonight, I dropped into the station before his shift was to start and I get told after waiting a good 15-20 minutes that he is off sick :mad:

i had rang the supers office about the applications and the rifle one is on the system, but the shotgun is not. I have emailed the forms requested and have also had them copied in the station, so I am hoping it's just a small delay. It kinda stung when I was then told that the application could take up to 12 weeks....considering it's been that long already. 12 weeks today I think. Another 12 weeks would be lunacy.

I know one of my referees was contacted, so that's something. Fingers crossed I won't be waiting much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Dropped a new application for a shotgun into Blackrock Dublin, wednesday last week. Got the grant letter yesterday and the "we have received your application" letter today. So credit where it is due.

• Advertisement

I stopped by the station earlier today when I was driving by. I knew the FO was scheduled for a shift and I managed to see him about my applications. He told me they had both gone up and he got the papers I dropped up. So, it took 3 months to do what is taking a few hours in some districts. Crazy. I just hope the rest of the process moves more quickly. I will be calling the supers office on Monday to double check they have the shotgun application in the system, because only the rifle was showing up last time I rang.

Over 15 weeks later and I am only aware of one out of two FCA1s on the system. I rang the district HQ on Friday. Was told the girl who deals with firearms wasn't on til Monday. I rang today and she was at a meeting. Was told she would call me back....which she did not. I rang a few hours later and she was gone home.

So I not only have the usual situation of trying to deal with the phantom FO, I now find I have to deal with someone specific in the Chiefs office, because "she is the one who deals with firearms". The level of laziness and idiocy continues to astonish me. I would like to buy another couple of guns, but I am obviously a bit snookered, having limited room in my locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 VBull

Do you know the rank/title of the person you are now having to deal with?

When you say Chiefs office do you mean the Supers office?

Some stations are very efficient others not so much as you are finding out.

Honestly i think you will have to meet the Super (if you havent already) prior to the licenses been granted as its your first firearm they may be wondering why you have applied for two at the same time. It shouldnt really make any difference once your background is clean but unfortunately you will have to prove to them why you want two firearms starting off even though you have good reason been a member of a target range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is no limit to the amount of frequency with which one can apply for a firearm. I lad i knew some years ago got a .308 for his first gun. However at 15 weeks regardless of the reason for the delay it's taking the wee-wee.

This brings me back to another topic. The receipt letter. It should be issued when you submit the FCA1, not when they start top process it. Its why An Gardaí can claim that 90% ( or whatever figure they throw out) of applications are processed within the 3 month time period. Because they count the time from when it's entered onto PULSE, not when the applicant submits it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 35 VBull

Without diving into a completely different topic, i do believe everything you have said Cass (and a lot more) is reason that AGS role in licensing should be background and security checks only. Every application on its own merit and not on the personal opinion of someone whose job is to enforce the law and not make it up to suit their agenda.

Im personally lucky in that i deal direct with the district hq and the FO there is very good at his job and knows his firearms yet not a shooter.

My last fresh application resulted in me having the license in my hands 10 days after handing it in. I havent done any substitution but expect it to be received in a similar timely manner.

goz83 hang in there and dont be put off by slow progress or any humming or awing about whether or not they can grant your licenses. Personally i would see who this new person you have to deal with is and what they are looking for from you, after dealing with this person i would wait a week or so and then ask for an update. IF your application is been put on the long finger then i would contact the firearms policy unit and ask them what the status of your application is and if it hasnt changed inform them that you are waiting X weeks, anyone i know who has dealt with them has praised their help as they seem to work to the letter of the law and light a fire under the backside of districts who are slow to grant applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭SVI40

Goz83 I'm in the same division as yourself. I put in an application for a .22 rifle in the first week in January. Eventually got a call in March from the local Garda, to look for a copy of my driving licence. Sent that off, and then got the letter saying they had 3 months to process the application. That was 3 months after I had first applied.

I got a call the other day, to question my security for storage, this after having the Divisional CPO come out twice in the past 2 years to confirm my storage.

The local Garda who rang me said the application was being processed, all was good, but was being passed backwards and forwards between local and district stations.

I summation, I've never had an application (6 so far) approved in less than 6 months. Just hang in there, it will arrive..... eventually.

I was talking about the supers office when I mentioned chief earlier....sorry about the confusion. So I rang this morning again and the lady who normally deals with the firearms applications (who is not the FO) politely told me that the FO deals with all the firearms applications and I would have to deal with him directly. I mentioned I had no direct line, or email for him and she gave me the same generic email I had already. She wasn't rude or anything and I could tell she must have been getting a lot of calls about these delays, but it leaves me without a direct contact. Anyway, I sent an email for the attention of the FO asking if both applications were on the system.

5 minutes later, the postman drops in the grant letter for the rifle :D

BUT....should there be an "S" somewhere on the letter? I don't see one.

goz83 wrote: »
    I was talking about the supers office when I mentioned chief earlier....sorry about the confusion. So I rang this morning again and the lady who normally deals with the firearms applications (who is not the FO) politely told me that the FO deals with all the firearms applications and I would have to deal with him directly. I mentioned I had no direct line, or email for him and she gave me the same generic email I had already. She wasn't rude or anything and I could tell she must have been getting a lot of calls about these delays, but it leaves me without a direct contact. Anyway, I sent an email for the attention of the FO asking if both applications were on the system.

5 minutes later, the postman drops in the grant letter for the rifle :D

BUT....should there be an "S" somewhere on the letter? I don't see one.

There is no letter "S" on the grant letter. You will only know if you have been granted permission for the moderator when you receive the licence.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    There is no letter "S" on the grant letter. You will only know if you have been granted permission for the moderator when you receive the licence.

So it's off to the Post Office for me then :pac:

VBull wrote: »
    Im personally lucky in that i deal direct with the district hq and the FO there is very good at his job and knows his firearms yet not a shooter.
    I'm in the exact same boat. I might seem a little harsh on An Gardaí at times, but its not without reason. I also praise them when they do either a good job or just their job.

My FO is on the ball. She knows her stuff, is quick, and the only delays are usually from her waiting to have the FCA1 signed off on by the Super. Even then it susually 3 to 4 weeks at most before i have the grant letter or sub license for anything i apply for. So no complaints on my end with my district.

@Goz83 - Nice one. One down, one to go.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Paid up at the post office. Promised the girl behind the counter I wouldn't return with the gun :D (was in a good mood today). I have my grant letter and PO receipt, so now just waiting for the license itself. I'm off to the range in the morning for some TP. The brother in law is joining up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Well done on the rifle license. Happy shooting

I got a call from a sergeant today to tell me I would have a decision "either way" on the shotgun tomorrow. I have no reason to suspect any problem, so hopefully it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Must be something happening in the district, I finally got my renewals in the post today, one 6 months after the fact and one 'just' a month after license went out of date.

Now off to smash the piggy bank.....

I never got the call on the decision, but I expect it will be in the post regardless.

Just checking....aside from paying for the license at the post office, there isn't anything else to do, is there? It's just that it wouldn't surprise me at all if I was supposed to return the grant letter with a box of chocolates and a packet of Tayto.

0bOCV50.gif

Good, because I ate all the chocolate :D

The "S" is missing. Now, I wouldn't mind, except I have yet to see a shooter on the range without a suppressor fitted. It means that ear protection is necessary when I am around.

I rang the FO and mentioned this to him. I explained that the reasoning was in my application under section 3.2 in additional details. He said he was unsure of the supers stance on "them", but he would have a chat with him and call me back. Though i'm still waiting on the call about the shotgun :D

In either case, it's good that I have the license now and I can finally bring the rifle back for a good clean.

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    The "S" is missing. Now, I wouldn't mind, except I have yet to see a shooter on the range without a suppressor fitted. It means that ear protection is necessary when I am around.

I rang the FO and mentioned this to him. I explained that the reasoning was in my application under section 3.2 in additional details. He said he was unsure of the supers stance on "them", but he would have a chat with him and call me back. Though i'm still waiting on the call about the shotgun :D

In either case, it's good that I have the license now and I can finally bring the rifle back for a good clean.

I didn't have the S on my licence when it arrived. I spoke to the local Garda and about four days later I received a new licence with the magic 'S' on it.

Hold tight and see if a new licence comes in the next week or so.

Advertisement