Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spice bags!!

Options
  • 31-01-2016 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

So these used to be a Dublin delicacy that has evolved up this way with many take aways offering their own take on it.

Ive had one from noodle box and it was OK.

Do people like them? waste of money or bargain?

Anyone got any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Where or what is noodlebox?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Where or what is noodlebox?

A takeaway in Drogheda.

They serve you different noodle types in a small Tardis like box.

When you empty the box onto the plate, it's quite difficult to understand exactly how it all managed to fit in there !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Kitchen legend have what they call a spicy bag. Salt and pepper chicken and chips. Good sized portion for €6. Or then they have a mega box.

I've also tried Chanco/Regent Inn version and that was nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

MugMugs wrote: »
    A takeaway in Drogheda.

When you empty the box onto the plate, it's quite difficult to understand exactly how it all managed to fit in there !

Why do you bother with the plate? The box opens out into a takeaway plate. I might put one underneath it if I'm eating off my lap for a bit of stability but usually don't bother.

The nicest spice bag I've tried is actually in a box, from woks in Wheaton Hall. Tried one from Ming Garden and it was only so so.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What is in a Spice Box lads? Never heard of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It's salt and chilli crispy chicken bits and chips all in one bag so the spices are all over the chips too :). There's usually a good bit of garlic and sesame and sometimes onions as well. Gives you the face sweats, but very tasty.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It looks absolutely rotten, incredibly yellow and utterly vile and greasy.

Eddies-Box.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I wouldn't be able to eat all that, but it's a good mix compared to the terrible one I got before. Are they chicken balls in that pic above ? or are they hash browns.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Anywhere in Dundalk do a decent one of these?

Also that photo above is a Munchy Box - has a lot more to it than your average spice bag which is just chicken and chips with some veg through it (spring onion and carrot strips usually).

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Also that photo above is a Munchy Box - has a lot more to it than your average spice bag which is just chicken and chips with some veg through it (spring onion and carrot strips usually).

Asia Valley at the bottom of clanbrassil st (the old declans) do nice spice bags with ridiculous size portions.

Their noodle boxes are nice too and its also a shop so you can get all kinds of weird flavoured asian crisps! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Woks beside Mace on the Castletown road do a lovely Spice Box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

It looks absolutely rotten, incredibly yellow and utterly vile and greasy.

Eddies-Box.jpg

KWl6pqT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

A takeaway in Drogheda.

I laughed at this.....
    I remember getting singapore chow mein noodles in 'The Black Wok' in Blackrock, anyway I took it home, got an average plate out and prepared for my 'wee' snack.. Well f@*k me it enveloped the whole plate + yes PLUS it was about 2 and a half inches high,. noodles are so unassuming lol:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement