Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving of other cars with fully comp cover??

• 31-01-2016 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi , i turned 25 few weeks back and my insurance is still very expensive.. full licence for 7 years 2 ncb. My renewal is coming up soon with Aa and they want 1750 on my current car is a 97 colt 1.3.

I can understand its an old car but still crazy to me. So im going to buy a small engine car around 2003 or so for now just somthing cheap and cheerfull.

There is one thing im looking for with Insurance is Driving of other cars with fully Comprehensive cover. Does anyone know if anyone does this?

I read axa do but you need to be with them for 3 years or more.

Also it would be good if the other car didnt have to have its own active policy.

Anyone know where i could get this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The fully comp. cover for driving other cars is a 'goodie' that Axa gives as a loyalty bonus to people with a clean record and who are several years with them, it's a kind of 'golden handcuffs'.

It is not necessary for the other car to have it's own policy for the 'driving other cars' clause in your policy to cover you when driving a borrowed car, this is a myth that gets quoted here and in Motors all the time, it's just not true. If you study the policy document of any company selling motor insurance in Ireland, none of them includes such a condition. The only conditions you will find is that you have not rented the car and you do not own it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,403 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

coylemj wrote: »
    The fully comp. cover for driving other cars is a 'goodie' that Axa gives as a loyalty bonus to people with a clean record and who are several years with them, it's a kind of 'golden handcuffs'.

It is not necessary for the other car to have it's own policy for the 'driving other cars' clause in your policy to cover you when driving a borrowed car, this is a myth that gets quoted here and in Motors all the time, it's just not true. If you study the policy document of any company selling motor insurance in Ireland, none of them includes such a condition. The only conditions you will find is that you have not rented the car and you do not own it.
    Ya I have this cover with axa. Its fully comp without the other car having a policy.
    I once queued the exact nature of the cover and axa sent a letter stating that the comp cover for extension applied only in this state on fully legal cars - nct and tax and that it couldn't be a performance car .

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭fungie

I have it with AA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

My wife's with AXA through the aa and she's allowed to drive cars on her insurance. She's only had her license about 3 years and she's had this perk since the beginning iirc. If not then she certainly had it since the second year with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

SteM wrote:
    My wife's with AXA through the aa and she's allowed to drive cars on her insurance. She's only had her license about 3 years and she's had this perk since the beginning iirc. If not then she certainly had it since the second year with them.

I'd put money on it that she's only covered TPFT. The vast, vast majority of "driving other cars" clauses only cover this. OP wants fully comp other car cover, if I'm reading correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I have fully comp other car cover through the AA. I think it's something they themselves offer as an add on because I had to take up AA membership to get it when I took out my car insurance policy. Not sure if there's a minimum age or driving experience needed. I'm 30 and have my full licence 13 years.

Have you phoned the AA to see can they move on the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Liamu2

Yes, id even take third party cover if they aloud me to drive any car regardless of age or engine size.

Im really trying to get a 2.0 petrol Honda insured but cheapest quote im getting is like 3500+. Aa quoted me 8000+. Im a very responsible drive and have nearly 2 years experience driving hgv on the road (which i dont disclose to insurance companys as i heard id get further increases)

Really feels unfair that im 25 finally now and still getting screwed by insurance companys

Toots wrote: »
    I have fully comp other car cover through the AA. I think it's something they themselves offer as an add on because I had to take up AA membership to get it when I took out my car insurance policy. Not sure if there's a minimum age or driving experience needed. I'm 30 and have my full licence 13 years.

Have you phoned the AA to see can they move on the price?

No im going to phone them tomorrow. They posted me out renewal letter of 1750 on the colt they had being insuring for the last 2 years.

Im thinking my best bet is to insure a 1.0 and try get full comp driving of other cars. Im looking to spend 10k+ on a new car but so frustrating not being able to insure it

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'd put money on it that she's only covered TPFT. The vast, vast majority of "driving other cars" clauses only cover this. OP wants fully comp other car cover, if I'm reading correctly.

Just checked the policy:

Comprehensive cover when driving other cars - because you're an AA Member

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Liamu2 wrote: »
    Yes, id even take third party cover if they aloud me to drive any car regardless of age or engine size.

Im really trying to get a 2.0 petrol Honda insured but cheapest quote im getting is like 3500+. Aa quoted me 8000+. Im a very responsible drive and have nearly 2 years experience driving hgv on the road (which i dont disclose to insurance companys as i heard id get further increases)

Really feels unfair that im 25 finally now and still getting screwed by insurance companys

By not disclosing that you drive a HGV for a living your wasting your money paying for insurance. If a claim is made they will look into it and void everything bar 3rd party cover and they can also sue you to recover the money that was paid to the 3rd party.

Insurance in this country is expensive and the only way to drive half decent cars for reasonable money is to be old and spend years driving cheap to insure boring cars.

• Advertisement

I just read that they will cover you up to a 2500cc car . Im guessing Aa will be my best bet as iv been with them for 2 years prior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,403 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You are into dangerous territory if you intend to drive YOUR new car via extension whether comp or 3rd party.
    The first requirement is that you don't own the car or have not paid for it in any way. There is also I think a max number of days you can drive under this extension.
    To be honest, people using it like this is only going to get it wiped out.

Well i work in a builders providers and cover drive the delivery truck a few days a month. I think work has me on the insurance to drive company vechicles. how could this affect my own personal insurance on a car?

mickdw wrote: »
    You are into dangerous territory if you intend to drive YOUR new car via extension whether comp or 3rd party.
    The first requirement is that you don't own the car or have not paid for it in any way. There is also I think a max number of days you can drive under this extension.
    To be honest, people using it like this is only going to get it wiped out.

Well i wasnt going to put it in my own name obviously. Well if they would insure me in the first place i wouldnt have to do this

Well i wasnt going to put it in my own name obviously. Well if they would insure me in the first place i wouldnt have to do this

They will insure you. Just not for the amount you want to pay. Or did I read you wrong on the thread.

Well the car i want to buy is 2001 so probably because its over 15 years old so that what im trying to find out will they or wont they

OP, if you buy this other car and drive it under the 'driving other cars' extension and have a crash, who are you going to claim actually owns the car when you go to your insurance company to lodge a claim?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OP are you planning on taking out the policy on a 1l car and then buying a different car and using the 'driving other cars' policy to drive it as your regular car? Because you can't do that. As mickdw said, with that 'driving other cars' bit, 99% of policies only cover you if the car isn't owned or financed by you in any way, it's only meant for occasional driving ie if you took a lend of a car. Some of them also specify that the other car must be insured.

To give you a weird scenario, my hubby's old car was for the scrapyard and he'd already gotten his new car. He couldn't use his 'driving other cars' to drive it to the scrapyard, because the car was still registered in his name, so I was going to drive it with mine, seeing as the car wasn't in my name. However, I rang my insurance just to double check this, and I was told that because it was my husband's car, they viewed it as an asset that I had partial ownership of, and therefore I couldn't use my driving other cars cover on it!! Now my name is not connected to that car in any way, but because we were married they considered it mine. We ended up having to get the scrapyard to come out and tow it away.

Have you gotten quotes on insuring a new car - it might not be as prohibitively expensive as you think. When I bought a newer car, it actually brought my premium down a bit, because there's a loading on older cars. I know you're 25 and you expected your insurance to come down a bit, but in my hubby's case, we didn't start seeing a real drop off in his premiums until he was about 30 and had about 6 years NCB. It's not just about your age, it's about your years claims free driving as well.

Insurance companies are well wise to this sort of thing. That's why a lot of them specify that the other car has to be insured, to stop just this kind of thing happening. If you put the car in someone else's name, and you're driving it around using your 'other car' extension, and you crash, the insurance company are going to investigate it, discover that the car itself isn't insured and hasn't been for X months/years, and it'll take them about 5 minutes to put 2 and 2 together, and most likely decline your claim.

Also, what will you do if you're driving around and get stopped by the guards for not displaying an insurance disk?

OP are you planning on taking out the policy on a 1l car and then buying a different car and using the 'driving other cars' policy to drive it as your regular car? Because you can't do that. As mickdw said, with that 'driving other cars' bit, 99% of policies only cover you if the car isn't owned or financed by you in any way, it's only meant for occasional driving ie if you took a lend of a car. Some of them also specify that the other car must be insured.

No they don't. What they typically say is that if you borrow a car which has it's own policy, you have a crash and there is a third party claim then you must claim under the car's own policy and only if there is no such policy or you are not covered for any other reason (e.g. your neighbour did not have 'other drivers' cover) will your own insurance cover you.

So in most cases it's the complete opposite of what people claim is the case - that the other car must have a policy of it's own in order for 'driving other cars' cover to apply when you borrow a car.

No Irish insurance company says in their policy document that 'driving other cars' cover applies only if the other car has a policy of it's own.

• Advertisement

I'd never heard of it before, but both my father in law and brother in law were told by their insurance company (123) that they couldn't drive the car I mentioned above, because it wasn't insured. It's why we ended up getting it towed. I've no idea what it says on their policy docs though, it was when they phoned to check that they were told that.

I'd never heard of it before, but both my father in law and brother in law were told by their insurance company (123) that they couldn't drive the car I mentioned above, because it wasn't insured. It's why we ended up getting it towed. I've no idea what it says on their policy docs though, it was when they phoned to check that they were told that.

With respect, 123 is not an insurance company, they're a broker and their track record is to always say 'no' as it's the safer option.

I downloaded the current policy document from the 123.ie website, the cover page refers to 123 but the document itself is the RSA motor policy. Here is the section on driving other cars, take special note of condition 'v'.....

Driving Other Motor Cars

We will cover You only under the terms of Section 1 of this Policy, provided Section 2 is operative on your policy schedule, while You are driving any private motor car with the owner’s permission, providing:

(i) the car is not owned by You, Your employer or Your business partner
    (ii) it is not hired to You or Your employer or business partners under a hire purchase agreement or a leasing agreement;
    (iii) it is not owned by or in the custody or control of a Motor Trade Business of which You are a member, director or employee;
    (iv) it is not a car-van with only 2 seats or less, nor a motorcycle nor commercial vehicle of any kind;
    (v) there is no other policy in force, whether You are the policyholder of that policy or not, that covers Your driving of the car You are driving under this Section.

https://www.123.ie/downloads/RSAMotorPolicy1215.pdf

As with almost every other Irish insurance company, the 'driving other cars' cover only applies if the other car has no policy.

Well wasnt planning on driving it every day..more like weekend car. Well i was thinking of putting it in my mothers name straight away.

I dont see what the problem is. It legally would be her car and i would have on my insurance policy driving of other cars. Therefore everybody should be happy. What does anyone do when they are driving someone else car with no disk? I also read on Aa that the other car doesnt need to have a policy only tax and nct

Well wasnt planning on driving it every day..more like weekend car. Well i was thinking of putting it in my mothers name straight away.

I dont see what the problem is. It legally would be her car and i would have on my insurance policy driving of other cars. Therefore everybody should be happy. What does anyone do when they are driving someone else car with no disk? I also read on Aa that the other car doesnt need to have a policy only tax and nct

While the car doesn't have to have a policy of it's own, you would have some serious questions to answer if there was going to be a large claim - this car is owned by your mother, she doesn't have it insured and you are an 'occasional user'? Pull the other one would be their response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Everything you intend doing has the capabilities to void your policy.
    Using a policy extension to drive "your own car"
    Failing to declare your HGV driving experience

as the proposer it is your responsibility to declare all relevant facts to enable the insurer issue an appropriate insurance quote.

Having a claim for your own car damage declined and having to refund any third party payments is not a risk worth taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Well i work in a builders providers and cover drive the delivery truck a few days a month. I think work has me on the insurance to drive company vechicles. how could this affect my own personal insurance on a car?

What licence do you have? C or D?

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You'd want to do more than think that you are insured to drive the work truck. Have you completed the driver CPC? Because without that you can't drive for reward, your licence won't be valid so therfore insurance is void.

You plan on driving your own car on a 3rd party extension which would require your mother to lie on legal documents if you're involved in a crash. You drive a HGV without knowing if you're insured and then you complain about the cost of insurance! It's people like you who drive up the cost of insurance. As I said before the only way to drive a reasonable car is to put in the years building up an NCD and getting old.

Advertisement