Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an Asus RT N66U with FTTH but speed drops? why

Options
  • 31-01-2016 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭

I just plugged in an ASUS RT-66U to eir FTTH instead of the F2000 did a speedtest check and low and behold it shows download speed about 35mb lower!! Everything else is same ie ping and upload.

Router is not that old and wondered why the drop? ps its june 2013!!

And as I am thinking of getting a newer router will the same apply?

Not overly complaining just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

F2000 is a Vdsl modem, and runs wireless at a AC standard.

RT-n66u is a cable router with Wireless N.

DSL-n66u is a vdsl with Wireless N.

So, what product do you have(because I feel like it's not FTTH), what was the speed difference, what was the device you were using and what was the method of connection you used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

plugged = wired, ftth is ftth speed with f2000 is 945mb down, with asus rt-n66u iits 910mb = 35 difference. its a router, cable dose not come into it or wireless.

The ac standard is pretty new and not supported on a lot of devices so no big deal.

And the asus knocks spots off the f2000 for wireless performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

plugged = wired, ftth is ftth speed with f2000 is 945mb down, with asus rt-n66u iits 910mb = 35 difference. its a router, cable dose not come into it or wireless.

The ac standard is pretty new and not supported on a lot of devices so no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

swoofer wrote: »

The F2000 is faster router albeit with weaker wifi.

According to small net builders:
    ASUS 802.11ac Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router (RT-AC66U) AC1750:#3 $123 836.0 Mb
    ASUS Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router (RT-N66U) N900:#1 $96 731.6 Mb

The F2000 is being limited by the 1Gb link between it and the ONT. The 66U is being limited by its own CPU speed. Its possible if you turn off the firewall it might go higher but really that isnt something you want to do. 1G connections are atypical in most markets so its not something consumer OEMs really worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm actually a little surprised the n66u got 910mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 i_davison

So in your opinion is it worthwhile getting the asus rt-n66u i am getting eir extremme ftth installed on Thursday with a speed of 300mbps.

Overall is it better than the Huawei f2000 supplied by eir? As far as the instal went what did they do i believe its a big job and takes over 3 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I would say try out the f2000 first I find it pretty good and some of the more experienced networking guys on here say that also. I get solid WiFi thought the house (3 bed semi) don't have any ac devices apart from my xbox one but that's wired so I don't know what the max ac speed but I get 90mbs from the 5gz on my phone.

Regarding the install, mine took less than an hour but I was ready for them, had skirting boards off etc. Do you know exactly where your phone line comes into the house. Sometimes the ducting can be under the floorboards next to the front door so you will have to root these up the Eir lads won't do this for you. Otherwise the install is simple enough

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Install time will vary a lot depending on the condition of the existing ducting. IIRC one of the KNN members posted that they were allocating 4hr slots for jobs. In a new build area with an existing ETU it could be done in 30 mins all going to plan. Its simply snake, terminate, screw onto wall, test. Having the area unobstructed will help them get on with it.

The F2000 is a nice unit, I know of VM subscribers using them for wireless and seeing massive improvements. Feature wise its filled out but it lacks the multi antenna array of premium devices. That probably means you'll see 500Mb instead of 650Mb on AC MIMO clients at range or something along those lines but its well capable for a 300Mb link. Get it, try it, and if the range is a little too low then spash for an Asus or TP-Link monster.

Ok have been doing a bit more research it seems that asus have the best ac routers looking at either the rt ac66u or the rt ac68u they seem to be great at what they do and as ftth is utilising an ac 5ghz connection i would be better of going for the ac66u or the ac68u any thoughts?

Spec spam for my own reference.

They're very similar, difference is really going to be A. better legacy performance (old 2.4 devices have the ability to perform better) and B. a different SoC.
    Broadcom BCM4706 (600 MHz)
    vs
    Broadcom BCM4708A0 (800 MHz, 2 cores)

If you've got a 150Mb connection the 66 is fine, but at 300Mb or 1000Mb I'd recommend the 68U for the pure horsepower.
    Product Segment
    AC1750 superior AC performance : 450+1300 Mbps
    Coverage
    Large homes
    Data Rate
    802.11n : up to 450 Mbps
    802.11ac : up to 1300 Mbps
    Antenna
    Detachable antenna x 3
    Transmit/Receive
    MIMO technology
    2.4 GHz 3 x 3
    5 GHz 3 x 3
    Memory
    128 MB Flash
    256 MB RAM
    Operating Frequency
    2.4 GHz / 5 GHz
    Encryption
    64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPA-Enterprise , WPA2-Enterprise
    Firewall & Access Control
    Firewall:SPI intrusion detection,DoS protection
    Access control:Parental control, Network service filter, URL filter, Port filter
    Management
    UPnP, IGMP v1/v2/v3, DNS Proxy, DHCP, NTP Client, DDNS, Port Trigger, Virtual Server, DMZ, Universal Repeater, System Event Log
    WAN Connection Type
    Internet connection type : Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP
    Dual Link support
    Multicast Proxy support
    Multicast Rate Setting support
    Ports
    RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for WAN x 1, RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for LAN x 4, Support Ethernet and 802.3 with max. bit rate 10/100/1000 Mbps and auto cross-over function(MDI-X)
    USB 2.0 x 2
    Button
    WPS Button, Reset Button, Power Button
    Features
    Airtime Fairness
    SmartQoS
    - WMM
    - User definable rules for IP/MAC/Port
    - Upload and download bandwidth management
    - ACK/SYN/FIN/RST/ICMP with highest priority
    Parental Control
    Guest Network : 2.4 GHz x 3, 5 GHz x 3
    VPN server : IPSec Pass-Through, PPTP Pass-Through, L2TP Pass-Through, PPTP Server, OpenVPN Server
    VPN client : PPTP client, L2TP client, OpenVPN client
    Enhanced media server (AiPlayer app compatible)
    - Image : Jpeg
    - Audio : mp3, wma, wav, pcm, mp4, lpcm, ogg
    - Video : asf, avi, divx, mpeg, mpg, ts, vob, wmv, mkv, mov
    AiCloud personal cloud service
    3G/4G data sharing
    Printer Server
    - Multifunctional printer support (Windows only)
    - LPR protocol support
    Download Master
    - Support bt, nzb, http, ed2k
    - Support encryption, DHT, PEX and magnet link
    - Upload and download bandwidth control
    - Download scheduling
    AiDisk file server
    - Samba and FTP server with account management
    Dual WAN
    IPTV support
    LED Indicator
    Power x 1
    LAN x 4
    WAN x 1
    Wi-Fi x 2
    USB x 1

VS
    Product Segment
    AC1900 ultimate AC performance : 600+1300 Mbps
    Coverage
    Large homes
    Data Rate
    802.11n : up to 450 Mbps
    802.11n TurboQAM : up to 600 Mbps
    802.11ac : up to 1300 Mbps
    Antenna
    External antenna x 3
    Transmit/Receive
    MIMO technology
    2.4 GHz 3 x 3
    5 GHz-1 3 x 3
    Memory
    128 MB Flash
    256 MB RAM
    Operating Frequency
    2.4 GHz / 5 GHz
    Encryption
    64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPA-Enterprise , WPA2-Enterprise , WPS support
    Firewall & Access Control
    Firewall:SPI intrusion detection,DoS protection
    Access control:Parental control, Network service filter, URL filter, Port filter
    Management
    UPnP, IGMP v1/v2/v3, DNS Proxy, DHCP, NTP Client, DDNS, Port Trigger, Universal Repeater, System Event Log
    WAN Connection Type
    Internet connection type : Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP
    WAN Bridge support
    Multicast Proxy support
    Multicast Rate Setting support
    Ports
    RJ45 for 10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT for LAN x 4, RJ45 for 10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT for WAN x 1
    USB 2.0 x 1
    USB 3.0 x 1
    Button
    WPS Button, Reset Button, Power Button, Wireless on/off Button
    Features
    Airtime Fairness
    Adaptive QoS
    AiProtection
    Parental Control
    Guest Network : 2.4 GHz x 3, 5 GHz x 3
    VPN server : IPSec Pass-Through, PPTP Pass-Through, L2TP Pass-Through, PPTP Server, OpenVPN Server
    VPN client : PPTP client, L2TP client, OpenVPN client
    Mac OS Backup
    Enhanced media server (AiPlayer app compatible)
    - Image : Jpeg
    - Audio : mp3, wma, wav, pcm, mp4, lpcm, ogg
    - Video : asf, avi, divx, mpeg, mpg, ts, vob, wmv, mkv, mov
    AiCloud personal cloud service
    3G/4G data sharing
    Printer Server
    - Multifunctional printer support (Windows only)
    - LPR protocol support
    Download Master
    - Support bt, nzb, http, ed2k
    - Support encryption, DHT, PEX and magnet link
    - Upload and download bandwidth control
    - Download scheduling
    AiDisk file server
    - Samba and FTP server with account management
    Dual WAN
    IPTV support
    Roaming Assist
    LED Indicator
    Power x 1
    Wi-Fi x 2
    LAN x 4
    WAN x 1
    USB x 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

If you are using an ASUS router and comfortable messing around with the Router software I would recommend trying out custom firmware from here
    http://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

The Merlin firmware takes all the best firmware bits from all the ASUS routers and rolls it up into one custom firmware. Unfortunately he is taking a bit of a break due to bad health but hopefully he will be back soon.

There are a couple of other custom firmwares there like john9527's and HGG's but I would recommend using Merlin's.

If you can get the AC68u over the AC66u, I had the AC66u and found the wireless range not that good.

To add more confusion i stumbled upon the asus dsl ac68u modem which seems to be directly comparable to the huawei f2000 supplied by eir anyone have any thoughts on this as the way to go would be much appreciated

My phone line seems to be coming through the gable wall in through the cavity wall i am in a two storey semi d waited all day yesterday but the kn guys were delayed by an awkward install has now been resechulded for Monday. Do they fit a new telephone box on outside wall and as far as inside of house what gets put in my phone socket and current fritzbox 7360 modem are all under stairs

i_davison wrote: »
    To add more confusion i stumbled upon the asus dsl ac68u modem which seems to be directly comparable to the huawei f2000 supplied by eir anyone have any thoughts on this as the way to go would be much appreciated

It may not vector and also can't be used for FTTH later on.
    My phone line seems to be coming through the gable wall in through the cavity wall i am in a two storey semi d waited all day yesterday but the kn guys were delayed by an awkward install has now been resechulded for Monday. Do they fit a new telephone box on outside wall and as far as inside of house what gets put in my phone socket and current fritzbox 7360 modem are all under stairs

Are you getting FTTC or FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

I had that router for a few weeks but returned it as was unstable and could not get the speed I was getting with the F1000. But that was over a year ago do the firmware may have matured by now.
    This forum might give you more info
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18606945

I am getting ftth on Monday and am wondering what my best option is, stick with the supplied huawei f2000 or go for the asus rt ac68u?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

I recently upgraded to EIR FTTH. I have the EIR sagemon router F3000 Swan fibre box F5366s. I already had the Asus Zenwifi ET12.

I tried to eliminate using the EIR box, but that did not work for me.

Before I try again, I am curious how did you figure out whether the router of the EIR box is better or worse than Asus Router?

It is great that you mentioned many folks see great router performance from the EIR box and for wifi use their own AP. How did you figure out that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Frostynight

My Asus router works very intermittently with my Eir fibre, I can't make heads nor tails of if. I'll tag this thread to see if I can learn from people!

Advertisement