Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Kilkenny General Election 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Missed this but I'll listen back tomorrow, what happened with Ann Phelan storming off?

I don't know, she was finished from the Vincent Browne Debate in Carlow about 6 months back. Seems like a nice person but just not good enough in my eyes to represent kilkenny anymore. Labour are going to get shafted this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Missed this but I'll listen back tomorrow, what happened with Ann Phelan storming off?

Pat mckee challenged her on the bus service in her area, and she threw a strop like a teenager,she sounded even worse trying to defend it today with John M on KCLR.

"She was human and tired and hungry she said"...............????:confused:

"I am fed up with the lot of ye".she said....yeah, me too Ann!!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

jimmyw wrote: »
    Pat mckee challenged her on the bus service in her area, and she threw a strop like a teenager,she sounded even worse trying to defend it today with John M on KCLR.

"She was human and tired and hungry she said"...............????:confused:

"I am fed up with the lot of ye".she said....yeah, me too Ann!!

Sorry but that's completely one-sided. McKee asked the question, Ann gave about 3 words of an answer and was already being heckled by McKee, she couldn't get a word in sideways and the moderator did nothing to stop it.

She shouldn't have walked, but I would have been pissed off if I couldn't get an answer in.

Besides, it's wasn't the government that stopped that service, it was Bus Eireann, so Ann was actually right.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Sorry but that's completely one-sided. McKee asked the question, Ann gave about 3 words of an answer and was already being heckled by McKee, she couldn't get a word in sideways and the moderator did nothing to stop it.

She shouldn't have walked, but I would have been pissed off if I couldn't get an answer in.

Besides, it's wasn't the government that stopped that service, it was Bus Eireann, so Ann was actually right.

Yeah but they all got similar treatment. Noel Walsh accused Bobby A of buying people drinks,he didn't walk out. He objected strongly alright,but he didn't go.

I didn't hear her speak after she arrived,but when she did she walked out. You have to expect this talking over one another,she didn't do herself any favours.

I do agree about the moderator, he was a poor one.

jimmyw wrote: »
    Yeah but they all got similar treatment. Noel Walsh accused Bobby A of buying people drinks,he didn't walk out. He objected strongly alright,but he didn't go.

I didn't hear her speak after she arrived,but when she did she walked out. You have to expect this talking over one another,she didn't do herself any favours.

I do agree about the moderator, he was a poor one.

Noel G is the ultimate chancer though so I reckon Bobby knew to take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

She shouldn't have walked, absolutely not. I was just pointing out that your original point made it sound like McKee made a point and Ann just flew off the handle. There was more to it than that. She was trying to answer the question but McKee channeled his inner Miriam O'Callaghan and just wouldn't let her.

• Advertisement

What Noel came up with that nonsense was stupid. But he was able to take it though eventually, that's my point. I would not be a fan of renua, but it just happened to be McKee that was challenging her,it could have been anyone and she just gave up too quick.

The mod should have told him to shut up aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

Totally childish behaviour, she's not cut out for the dail if she can't even get a point across in a silly interview such as this.................

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I honestly have no idea who to vote for, might not bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I honestly have no idea who to vote for, might not bother at all.

http://www.smartvote.ie/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bowlardo wrote: »

Out of curiosity I just visited this website, it gave me my first choice as expected and as expected the likes of Paddy Manning and Noel Walsh got a zero rating
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Cheers, looks like I'm voting for 3 independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

That site is in theory a good idea but in reality is pretty flawed.

For example check the answers of each candidate, a lot of them have not answered at all and so they use the 'party line' by default.

Then a few of them use the old 'no opinion' option on the controversial stuff instead of risking alienating any voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Yeah it's completely reliant on the candidates themselves to answer questions and it seems a vast amount haven't bothered except for smaller parties and independents so it skews towards those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

screamer wrote: »
    Totally childish behaviour, she's not cut out for the dail if she can't even get a point across in a silly interview such as this.................
    To be honest I share her distaste for this type of car crash radio. I actually admire her for walking out of that cluster****.

Irish media debates are more about how much hysteria can it create and less about the actually examining the positions the candidates take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

catbear wrote: »
    screamer wrote: »
    To be honest I share her distaste for this type of car crash radio. I actually admire her for walking out of that cluster****.

Irish media debates are more about how much hysteria can it create and less about the actually examining the positions the candidates take.
    Add your reply here.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I value someone who can stand up for themselves and make their point. with a politician that means someone who can stand up for the electorate. If she can't do that then she's not someone who I'll be voting for. Life is tough and in public life you've got to be tougher.

@screamer, very apt name, suits your outlook.

Just saw the picture paddy manning used in the kp, now there's a candidate in touch with his core voter.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

catbear wrote: »
    Just saw the picture paddy manning used in the kp, now there's a candidate in touch with his core voter.

Does it involve a picture of the pope, Jesus or was it something abortion related?
    Got a link?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Does it involve a picture of the pope, Jesus or was it something abortion related?
    Got a link?
    I'm just warning you, do not have a hot drink in your hand when you click on this link.
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/203148/Paddy-Manning---A-breath.html

If a picture could say a thousand words.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Any final predictions? According to Paddy Power, it's all wrapped up. McGuiness is a nailed on certainty at 1/14. Funchion, John Paul and Bobby are pretty much home and hosed too at 1/7, 1/5 and 1/5 respectively, while the last seat will go to Deering at 1/3. Fitzgerald and Ann Phelan are outside bets at 11/8 and 2/1 with Murnane O'Connor a beaten docket at 9/2.

Those were my predictions all along. However, I don't know how they can be so sure. I have heard that Fitzgerald isn't doing so well. But the word is that Bobby could be in trouble too(possibly FF tactics to get the votes out or to switch preferences to Bobby as opposed to McGuinness?) and that Ann Phelan is still in with a shout. A long day on Saturday, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I don't know, she was finished from the Vincent Browne Debate in Carlow about 6 months back. Seems like a nice person but just not good enough in my eyes to represent kilkenny anymore. Labour are going to get shafted this election.

Labour won't get shafted,we did,by them,they will get their comuppence. She made an even bigger show of herself trying to make amends the next day. She was hungry :eek: well fook her. She will have plenty of time to eat come Monday or Tuesday.:p

• Advertisement

I've heard that McGuinness is fighting for every vote and is taking nothing for granted, which I would imagine is a possible cause for Bobby not doing as well.

I still think Carlow is a lottery. I don't see how Deering can be 1/3 to be re-elected from there. He's from Rathvilly for a start, which is in the Wicklow constituency and not to mention Carlow is one of those that it could be argued is still yet to feel the effects of this 'recovery'. I would nearly be tempted to have a punt on Murnane-O'Connor at those prices. The FF councillors in Carlow are very popular by all accounts, although I hear Adrienne Wallace is campaigning very well out there as well. Not enough to win a seat of her own, but enough so that her transfers could play a big part which will benefit SF.

Ann Phelan I think could scrape a seat because she was always a good vote-getter, and we could see something like 1FF, 1FG, 1SF, 1LAB then one of either Bobby/Murnane/Deering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

McGuiness has been canvassing in Carlow in the last day or 2. Got a flyer asking me to vote last night.

I've heard that McGuinness is fighting for every vote and is taking nothing for granted, which I would imagine is a possible cause for Bobby not doing as well.

I still think Carlow is a lottery. I don't see how Deering can be 1/3 to be re-elected from there. He's from Rathvilly for a start, which is in the Wicklow constituency and not to mention Carlow is one of those that it could be argued is still yet to feel the effects of this 'recovery'. I would nearly be tempted to have a punt on Murnane-O'Connor at those prices. The FF councillors in Carlow are very popular by all accounts, although I hear Adrienne Wallace is campaigning very well out there as well. Not enough to win a seat of her own, but enough so that her transfers could play a big part which will benefit SF.

Ann Phelan I think could scrape a seat because she was always a good vote-getter, and we could see something like 1FF, 1FG, 1SF, 1LAB then one of either Bobby/Murnane/Deering.

I've heard that too but that it's because he wants to top the poll, not because he's worried about his seat. He's been canvassing the length and breadth of the constituency.

I don't really know the score in Carlow, but my guess is that Deering is the best chance of a "Carlow TD".

I've heard that too but that it's because he wants to top the poll, not because he's worried about his seat. He's been canvassing the length and breadth of the constituency.

I don't really know the score in Carlow, but my guess is that Deering is the best chance of a "Carlow TD".

I think the two go hand-in-hand really. The McGuinness clan have never taken a seat for granted and if they didn't aim to top the poll then they are assuming they'll be there or thereabouts, which is always a risky game in a constituency like this.

I think the two go hand-in-hand really. The McGuinness clan have never taken a seat for granted and if they didn't aim to top the poll then they are assuming they'll be there or thereabouts, which is always a risky game in a constituency like this.
    Fair point. Carlow Kilkenny tends to be a bit dog-eat-dog with nobody really 100% sure of a seat 'til fairly late on.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Any final predictions? According to Paddy Power, it's all wrapped up. McGuiness is a nailed on certainty at 1/14. Funchion, John Paul and Bobby are pretty much home and hosed too at 1/7, 1/5 and 1/5 respectively, while the last seat will go to Deering at 1/3. Fitzgerald and Ann Phelan are outside bets at 11/8 and 2/1 with Murnane O'Connor a beaten docket at 9/2.

Those were my predictions all along. However, I don't know how they can be so sure. I have heard that Fitzgerald isn't doing so well. But the word is that Bobby could be in trouble too(possibly FF tactics to get the votes out or to switch preferences to Bobby as opposed to McGuinness?) and that Ann Phelan is still in with a shout. A long day on Saturday, I reckon.

Of course PP are not "sure". These odds were drawn on the basis of attracting punters (and the more mug punters the better), rather than on the basis of political prognostication (which is what they purport to be).

Being honest I know I gave a possibility earlier, but I think the only two that are definitely going to get a seat are McGuinness and JP Phelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Obviously the destination of the seats will depend to some extent on good vote management, although maximising the FF vote will very much take second place for McGuinness compared to maximising his own vote.

McGuinness to top the poll. Wouldn't be a surprise if Funcheon came second. Phelan third. Aylward fourth. Couldn't begin to hazard a guess after that but I'd imagine it'll take until the last count for a second FGer to be elected, not having reached the quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

If SF had a stronger candidate than Funchion they'd be a dead cert but as it is i'm not certain she'll get in, think the last seat is a toss up, could be Anne Phelan, Deering, Funchion or Fitzgerald scrapping over it but its very hard to know. Fitzgerald will need to pick up all the City FG votes to have much chance as he has no profile here in Carlow where deering and Phelan will likely pick up most of the votes. Wouldn't surprise if a lot of carlow people vote for Deering and Murnane O' Connor 1 or 2 just to try get a carlow TD.

I'm guessing McGuiness, Phelan, Deering, Funchion and Anne Phelan though I'm no way confident after the first two. Transfers will be key and Funchion could do well from the AAA/PBP crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I'm guessing McGuiness, Phelan, Deering, Funchion and Anne Phelan though I'm no way confident after the first two. Transfers will be key and Funchion could do well from the AAA/PBP crowd.

I'd guess Aylward will get in also.. You'd have to bet he'll get transfers from McGuiness anyway who is almost certain to top the poll.

Going by posters etc it looks like the FG tactic has been Carlow Deering, City Fitzgerald and south KK JP.

Its a decent tactic I think but I think David might struggle which is a pity because he seems a good candidate. He'll need all the city votes he can get.

Advertisement