Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Kilkenny General Election 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

FG in Carlow/KK will be having a conniption, they seem to have done it again, FF get 3 seats.

seems McGuinnesss can do no wrong in some people's eyes',
    Unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What ever about McGuiness...what were the ppl thinking voting Lowry in???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Well I was wayy off with what I thought would happen, it seems we're the county that never learns. 3 FF is insanity, can't believe it. JP and Deering way off the pace as well. Funchion looking like coming in 2nd which is a great return for her, surprised me as I thought she ran a poor campaign. As for Lowry, the people of Tipp have a lot to answer for. At least our politicians are your garden variety parish pumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

McGuinness elected. Ann Phelan gone? she's 120 votes behind fitzgerald on 7th count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

fits wrote: »
    McGuinness elected. Ann Phelan gone? she's 120 votes behind fitzgerald on 7th count.

Suspected Ann Phelan would not make it, but honesty didn't think she'd do as badly as she has. Labour taking a hiding everywhere though. Funchion getting in earlier than I thought, doing very well on transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

FF getting 3 seats is shocking.No party should get that kind of result.I was not expecting that.Seems like C/K voters don't hold grudges :p.

Its such a conservative constituency, they need to try other candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

McGuinness is some craic in fairness
    The amount of landrovers cruisng around with his mug on them is ridiculous but it took the piss when i saw a 52 seater bus cruising around with this face on the side of it?
    This is father ted antics. You'd have to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

jimmyw wrote: »
    FF getting 3 seats is shocking.No party should get that kind of result.I was not expecting that.Seems like C/K voters don't hold grudges :p.

Its such a conservative constituency, they need to try other candidates.

Kathleen Funchions husband about to be elected in Waterford as well. Only 360 votes or so needed on next count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm gutted, FF 3 seats.

It's as if the bank bailout never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

catbear wrote: »
    I'm gutted, FF 3 seats.

It's as if the bank bailout never happened.

time to re open the 2 mental hospitals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

road_high wrote: »
    The Shinner has zero such track record by comparison. Total waste of a vote.

Oooofft, embarrassing.

Funchion cruised in.

Enjoy the hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

really annoyed how well FF have done here...

they do not deserve it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

Could be a surprise loss of the 3rd seat for FF in CW/KK. Transfers from JPP will now more than likely go to Deering and if this plays out he will get the final seat. Also John Paul Phelan topping the vote so far in CW/KK knocking John Mcguinness from his thrown.

So he has done it Deering has just been elected. The 5 seats go to FF x2, FGx2 and SF x1. Delighted that FF did not manage to get that third seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Also John Paul Phelan topping the vote so far in CW/KK knocking John Mcguinness from his thrown.[/quote]

?? Mcguinness elected after count 7. Excess votes go elsewhere and no more can go to him. Do you understand the transfer process? He would still be the top dog.

Agree with thinking Deering will get 5th seat now. Two main Carlow based runners fighting for last seat.

BLUEYK No I am not thinking Deering will get the fifth seat I know he has the seat.. He has been elected..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

What a finish, came down to the wire and shows the importance of transfers.

The FG faithful obv remained loyal as huge numbers of JPs surplus transfers from Fitzgerald got deering quite comfortably over the line.

kkapp wrote: »
    BLUEYK No I am not thinking Deering will get the fifth seat I know he has the seat.. He has been elected..

Yep, agreed with you there, well managed FG transfers in the end. I was confused with your throne comment though?

BLUEYK wrote: »
    Yep, agreed with you there, well managed FG transfers in the end. I was confused with your throne comment though?

Pretty sure he means this:

378875.png

However since McG wouldn't get any transfers etc once meeting/passing the quota I'm not sure it's correct to say that.

PaulKK wrote: »
    Pretty sure he means this:

378875.png

However since McG wouldn't get any transfers etc once meeting/passing the quota I'm not sure it's correct to say that.

Correct. That was my point, 1st elected would be top dog. That presentation is misleading as should list from what count when elected. No worries. Glad it ended with FF not getting 3 seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

Fair play to Kathleen Function ! Great to have a republican representing Carlow/Kilkenny ! So many on here got it so wrong!

phew, feel less gutted now. Went to sleep thinking I was in a fresh hell of majority FF but woke with a new hope.

Not surprised Funchion got her seat and won't be surprised if SF run another candidate in the short term.

Unless I'm mistaken in understanding how it works it seemed that the FF transfers didn't work well, in many ways their vote was very much localised around the individual candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

Does anyone know why tickets were needed to access the count centre in The Hub yesterday? I was shocked to see security collecting tickets at the door - surely any citizen who voted has a democratic right to go in and view the count if they so wish. They will probably be selling tickets for the next Election!!

catbear wrote: »
    phew, feel less gutted now. Went to sleep thinking I was in a fresh hell of majority FF but woke with a new hope.

Not surprised Funchion got her seat and won't be surprised if SF run another candidate in the short term.

Unless I'm mistaken in understanding how it works it seemed that the FF transfers didn't work well, in many ways their vote was very much localised around the individual candidates.

They did not have the numbers in the end to take three seats. There were no real big transfers going their way. The last two exclusions were labour then FG. This meant big transfers to JPP & PD in counts 10 & 11. That is why getting a 3rd seat is so tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

FF did Jennifer no favours really, Mcguiness had no interest in anyone but himself and unfortunately for Jennifer the transfers just weren't there. Pretty funny seeing people on Facebook trying to claim there's some big fraud after being committed just because she didn't get in. Fairly amazing how many don't understand the proportional representation system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭blackcard

Fortyjocks wrote: »
    Does anyone know why tickets were needed to access the count centre in The Hub yesterday? I was shocked to see security collecting tickets at the door - surely any citizen who voted has a democratic right to go in and view the count if they so wish. They will probably be selling tickets for the next Election!!

I was disgusted with this. I am not aligned to any party but wanted to see the see the democratic process in action but couldn't gain access. Who decided that a voter is not entitled to witness the count?

Poor Paddy Mannings canvasing of nursing homes didn't get him the postal vote.
    Anyone could tell you they'd vote along the old traditional lines.

Wonder who was backing him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

blackcard wrote: »
    I was disgusted with this. I am not aligned to any party but wanted to see the see the democratic process in action but couldn't gain access. Who decided that a voter is not entitled to witness the count?

I would have assumed (maybe wrongly) that its a building capacity issue for health and safety reasons? i.e. the overall attendance number allowed would have been set by the local Fire Marshall or who ever has responsibility for determining this. If that's the case then I think its perfectly reasonable.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I was at the count yesterday, and wrt Kathleen Funchion, her tallies were constant throughout the day. She started at about 13% after the first Carlow boxes then went down bit by bit to about 12.4%. There was plenty of support for her and it showed in the transfers.

To the poster who mentioned her husband, they're actually separated I believe, but that's not a discussion to be had here. Fair play to the pair of them.

It was always going to come down to how much of a surplus JPP got as to where the last seat would go. I think nearly every media organisation that was there had called it 3FF throughout the day until after Ann Phelan's transfers, when they realised the comeback was on.

Great day. Same ol' same ol' but the candidate I voted for got in, so I'm happy.

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »

I have heard there was a decision made to restrict access to the public as there was a risk of disorder inside due to one of the candidates running in the election and their previous behaviour.

I won't elaborate more than that but you can read between the lines. Pity as it is nice to be able to see things play out in person.

Advertisement