Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Kilkenny General Election 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

RobertKK wrote: »

There is nothing endangering women's lives. the US and UK have higher maternal deaths and they have liberal abortion regimes.
    Sources please.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

fits wrote: »
    Yeah yeah :rolleyes: All three masters of the Dublin Maternity Hospitals disagree with you but sure what would they know.

Anyway. Back on topic. I saw Malcolm Noonan on Prime Time last night and was impressed with him. He is a good speaker and comes across well. I am considering voting for him now. Its between him and Ann Phelan for the 1-2.

In very limited circumstances.
    A fatal foetal abnormality doesn't necessarily mean the unborn will die in all cases, as I explained earlier. My sister was under the care of one of those masters in Dublin, and was told her unborn wouldn't live, as I said earlier, now 8 years old and living a normal life.
    It is not black and white.

The current situation is a mother can receive all the medical treatments she needs if ill and her life is put before the unborn, because if the mother was to die her unborn would too.
    Sometimes it looks like some use women to create a situation so it reflects bad on the 8th amendment.
    Like keeping the dead woman on life support because she was pregnant, that is not what the 8th amendment was about, and the courts agreed with that and allowed a brain dead woman to die.

I think whoever is elected, they will find it very hard to remove the 8th amendment, it has a lot of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

It is not black and white.

Exactly. But the constitution does not allow for that. So take the grey into account.

If labour are in government for next term and don't deal with this, I wont vote for them again.

Btw.. Anyone thought of the prospect of a FF-FG coalition :eek: We'd be stuck in the dark ages for another few years!

fits wrote: »
    Btw.. Anyone thought of the prospect of a FF-FG coalition :eek: We'd be stuck in the dark ages for another few years!
    Irish politics has been dominated by centre right government and opposition since the foundation of the state.
    A FG/FF coalition which looks very likely considering FF and FG would never govern with SF and so for the first time we'll actually have a mostly left opposition.
    I always thought the last election was about punishing FF and that the following election would be more important politically.
    There is nothing endangering women's lives. the US and UK have higher maternal deaths and they have liberal abortion regimes.
    For the second time are you able to provide a source for your assertions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

catbear wrote: »
    I always thought the last election was about punishing FF and that the following election would be more important politically.

For most people it was, thats why they voted for FG/Labour as the two other largest partys.

Of course most people also never bothered to read FG's Election Manifesto which stated they would bring in water charges, so they were outraged when FG did this.

Shows the dangers of a totally clueless vote, yet these people will be outraged with FG instead of themselves for voting for this policy.
    :rolleyes:

I would have said SF had some chance this election (not that I favor them) but with Gerry undermining the party by backing Slab and looking to get rid of the SCC its just really strange.

At this stage he's proven beyond doubt he's a liability to the party to the general public and yet instead of distancing themselves from him Mary and the party are backing him, its all very odd.

Its time for him to step down, its the only way SF will be taken more seriously be people in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The problem is that those who care about Gerry supposing the likes of slab Murphy or wanting to do away with the special criminal court probably won't vote for sf anyway.

The sf doesn't care about such things, of Gerry told them to jump off a bridge they would cause sf are "going to give them" everything and take from those who have stuff and all that.

It's scary almost like brainwashing

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Owryan wrote: »
    The problem is that those who care about Gerry supposing the likes of slab Murphy or wanting to do away with the special criminal court probably won't vote for sf anyway.

His comments are putting off people that might have been on the fence though,
    The sf doesn't care about such things, of Gerry told them to jump off a bridge they would cause sf are "going to give them" everything and take from those who have stuff and all that.

While SF appear to have a higher percentage of more militant (how dare you question the party) members, to be fair every party has them.

Regardless of the party if a person blindly accepts stuff the leader says and can't see faults in the party then they are fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Owryan wrote: »

They operate very cult like to me looking from the outside. Need only look at the comments on FB or journal.ie. If SF said the sky was red then it would be red.

Well if my facebook feed is to be believed the last few years has seen pretty moderate people go from lifetime FFers to SF enthusiasts but I can't say if that will translate at the ballot.
    People like using SF as a ****ty stick to threaten the incumbents with but on the day in the voting booth will they pull the trigger!

I see Paddy "I'm against marriage equality" Manning is now running in Kilkenny, he's put up loads of posters in the last few days.

imho he's like the women who were against the suffragette movement, if he can't see that he himself deserves equality as a gay man then I don't believe he's suited to do anything in the best interest of anyone else.

For those that don't know Paddy, he was the only gay man that Lolek Ltd (Iona Institution & Co) used to role out to oppose marriage equality,

The No campaign along with Paddy completely misrepresented what the marriage equality ref was about (it had nothing to do with kids and had zero affect on religious marriages).

So its clear Paddy is well able to misrepresent stuff to the public and he's well able to call the opposing side names like he did with the yes campaign when he called them bullys.
    :rolleyes:

I for one am glad that backwards and frankly outdated views like those held by Paddy didn't win in May because if they had our country would not be a better place for it, having him as a TD for Kilkenny/Carlow would not be a good progressive move for the area.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

John McGuinness is now using County Council Vehicles for his campaign promotion.

377641.jpeg

kikel wrote: »
    John McGuinness is now using County Council Vehicles for his campaign promotion.

377641.jpeg

I've emailed the council querying this, be interested to see what the response will be.

[EDIT]
    I see it was raised on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/KilkennyCoCo/posts/1013037575426487

And on double yellow lines too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

As is Ivan Yates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Jennifer Murnane O'Connor canvassed my house twice in person, and met her outside church last Sunday. She seems to be going all out for the Carlow rural vote. Hope she can do it.

madmaggie wrote: »
    Jennifer Murnane O'Connor canvassed my house twice in person, and met her outside church last Sunday. She seems to be going all out for the Carlow rural vote. Hope she can do it.

But she's FF. They destroyed the economy. Why would you want to return to that?

Besides she's got to compete against two dynastic FFers so fat chance I say.
    Aside from old alleigences I can't see FF regaining defectors. plus a whole generation associates FF with economic failure, bank bailouts, and emigration and so they have more reason to vote against FF.

Where their vote goes will be interesting. Facebook friends who aren't treehuggers seem to be favouring the local Green for his individual activism. I still haven't forgiven them for not pulling the plug in 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

road_high wrote: »

FF got 30% of the County Carlow vote in the locals and she's seen as a good candidate, also no Labour or SF candidate in Carlow town unlike last time. Could easily take a seat but whose?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Here's an idea, because Fine Gael were calling for more spending when in opposition?

Here's another one, because the amount of lies Labour told to buy peoples vote last time means they can't be trusted?

Or maybe, just maybe, that person has a different preference to you?

Faugheen wrote: »
    Here's an idea, because Fine Gael were calling for more spending when in opposition?

Here's another one, because the amount of lies Labour told to buy peoples vote last time means they can't be trusted?

Or maybe, just maybe, that person has a different preference to you?

Often see this ole red herring trotted out, it's gets tiresome...irrelevant as they weren't even in power so how do we know what the outcome would have been. To say otherwise is just an assumption and not relevant. I prefer deal in facts rather than fantasy myself and fact IS FF were there and are responsible for handing the keys to the IMF and all ensuing carnage that followed.

Fianna Fail gifted the last election. You could have promised a return to the British Empire and still have got elected after the Fianna Fail bank bailout.

catbear wrote: »
    Fianna Fail gifted the last election. You could have promised a return to the British Empire and still have got elected after the Fianna Fail bank bailout.

Exactly Labour got carried away with themselves (Gilmore for Taoiseach for example), they needn't have promised a thing. But they actually managed to maintain and increase welfare rates in light of one of the worst downturns in the Western world. I think that was some achievement for their electorate (one I wouldn't agree with at all) in that context, they should be given credit, but the Irish electorate were never known for their gratitude or indeed pragmatism.

Exactly Labour got carried away with themselves (Gilmore for Taoiseach for example), they needn't have promised a thing. But they actually managed to maintain and increase welfare rates in light of one of the worst downturns in the Western world. I think that was some achievement for their electorate (one I wouldn't agree with at all) in that context, they should be given credit, but the Irish electorate were never known for their gratitude or indeed pragmatism.

They decreased welfare rates for many. The general perception on Labour is that they did not look after their traditional base. FG looked after their traditional base, hence Labour will get a kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

As is Ivan Yates

Two cheeks of the same a**e really. Any floating voter listening to Gerry on Sean O Rourke this morning or looking at him on the 6 one would not be convinced this lad knows what he's talking about. PBH on drivetime was talking to CW/KK candidates. Funchion didn't respond well when quizzed on agriculture matters - a key topic in this constituency.

Getting my water meter installed in the last few days, I asked the foreman how much aggro were they receiving during their work in KK. None he said. Said he was surprised at how little protest they encountered in the city. This to me is far more of an indicator of SFs level of support in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The bookies have a boner for Funchion but I don't buy it myself. PP has her at 1/7 behind John McGuinness for example. There's no way she is that popular.

There are too many political heavyweight candidates in this constituency and the bye-election (which she did well in) is not a good barometer imo. JMcG is going to mop up a lot of that typical vote. If she gets a seat it will be the last one.

Perhaps I'll be eating my words in the days after the 26th though!

My call is 3FG 2FF.

They decreased welfare rates for many. The general perception on Labour is that they did not look after their traditional base. FG looked after their traditional base, hence Labour will get a kicking.

What welfare did they decrease? Not enough, any party that cuts these handouts for layabouts has my no 1.

Sky King wrote: »
    The bookies have a boner for Funchion but I don't buy it myself. PP has her at 1/7 behind John McGuinness for example. There's no way she is that popular.

There are too many political heavyweight candidates in this constituency and the bye-election (which she did well in) is not a good barometer imo. JMcG is going to mop up a lot of that typical vote. If she gets a seat it will be the last one.

Perhaps I'll be eating my words in the days after the 26th though!

My call is 3FG 2FF.

Heard her on radio again today. More car crash stuff, needless to say.

• Advertisement

What welfare did they decrease? Not enough, any party that cuts these handouts for layabouts has my no 1.

The welfare cuts were pretty widely reported at the time and not difficult to find with google. Labour will suffer because many of the people that voted for them were the ones that suffered at their hands.

Back to the election, I am pretty sure that Funchion will be there or thereabouts in second after McGuinness. Ann Phelan will be scrambling for the last seat without the benefit of many transfers, I think she will fall well short.

Advertisement